DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am so ready for this trend to catch on

Guessing you are aware of this but the Yankees have experimented with this idea the past few seasons.

On 11/12/2019 at 10:48 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

San Francisco is hiring Gabe Kapler as their new manager. 

Man, I bet after seeing that Ron Rolston wishes he had gotten into coaching baseball instead of hockey.

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Guessing you are aware of this but the Yankees have experimented with this idea the past few seasons.

They only seem to do it against shitty teams but when they play like the Red Sox or Indians, etc.. it is the more traditional times which I understand.

Still this will probably lead me to watching more Os games this year

Cody Bellinger, NL MVP. From the SI article:

Bellinger was selected first on 19 of 30 ballots and second on 10 more, beating out Yelich, the runner-up who was named first on 10 ballots and second on 18. Rendon was named first and second on one ballot each.

Joins Newcombe and Robinson as Dodgers to win the ROY and MVP.

Edited by grilledcheese

Fuck Anaheim right in their stupid faces for not being better to support him. I hate the fucking AL, but in a perfect world, Trout has rings for seven fingers. The only exceptions being 2017 and 2018 so my beloved Boys in Blue could have won.

And not to insinuate that they haven't been decent, but a player like that deserves more than one playoff appearance that ended in a sweep.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

Fuck Anaheim right in their stupid faces for not being better to support him. I hate the fucking AL, but in a perfect world, Trout has rings for seven fingers. The only exceptions being 2017 and 2018 so my beloved Boys in Blue could have won.

And not to insinuate that they haven't been decent, but a player like that deserves more than one playoff appearance that ended in a sweep.

I think with Maddon there they'll actually make it to the postseason at least. 

47 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think with Maddon there they'll actually make it to the postseason at least. 

Certainly a possibility, but I don't hold him in the same regard as most folks seem to. To me, that guy is the managerial equivalent of paying FA's a zillion dollars for their decline years. Good baseball mind, did some really good work in Tampa, parlayed that into the CHC gig and then almost fucked away Game 7 with piss poor managerial decisions. The story ended the right way for Cub fans, but to not be able to capitalize on that roster full of studs seems like an underachievement, regardless of the drought ending. I feel like he's a hire that makes casual baseball folks think a team is doing the right thing, but realistically is not the first-tier hire he's made out to be.

Also, we are talking about a team that finished 35 games out this season. I'm not sure we are talking about an immediate turnaround that allows them to leapfrog both TEX and OAK and be a contender right away.

My experience with Maddon is that he's exceptional at getting the team in the mindset of getting to the dance, but can't keep the team there. He's also monumentally bad at bullpen management and is one of those managers who can't get out of the way of his own "genius," which leads to shit like game 7 where Lester and Chapman both went in too early and Theo was looking to kill somebody.

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Also, we are talking about a team that finished 35 games out this season. I'm not sure we are talking about an immediate turnaround that allows them to leapfrog both TEX and OAK and be a contender right away.

I don't think you can make any judgement now about next season since basically only like 2 guys have signed anywhere but last year LAA lost Trout for 30 games and had their best starting pitcher die during the season. And their other best starting pitcher couldn't actually pitch.

So I don't think you can just say "Well they were 35 games out last year - they won't contend".

And even going by "games back #" when you play in the Astros division at the moment the number you should look at is how far out of the Wild Card they were (which was 24)

Now all that being said - they will be in much better shape in 2 years when the comically bad Pujols and Upton contracts start coming off the books

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I don't think you can make any judgement now about next season since basically only like 2 guys have signed anywhere but last year LAA lost Trout for 30 games and had their best starting pitcher die during the season. And their other best starting pitcher couldn't actually pitch.

So I don't think you can just say "Well they were 35 games out last year - they won't contend".

And even going by "games back #" when you play in the Astros division at the moment the number you should look at is how far out of the Wild Card they were (which was 24)

Now all that being said - they will be in much better shape in 2 years when the comically bad Pujols and Upton contracts start coming off the books

Their dead best pitcher tossed himself to a 4.29 ERA with a WHIP of 1.26. He was good for 0.9 WAR to the point of his death, but I don't know that he is the difference maker over the course of an entire season. The points on Ohtani and Trout are wholly accurate.

But it would seem that by stating that they'll be better in 2 years lines up with my outlook that they won't be immediate contenders, be it in a divisional race or a WC. I think we are making the same point from different angles.

There's an awful lot of high-end pitching out there to be had in FA, but I'm not sure that ANA lands any of them. We are talking about a team who decided that Matt Harvey and Trevor Cahill were the arms they needed to shore up the rotation around Ohtani, Canning and Heaney. A more likely scenario for them would probably be overpaying for Zack Wheeler after missing the bus on Cole or Bumgarner. If they land a Cole or Strasburg or Bumgarner then it's a different conversation, but they haven't shown themselves to be able to land that big fish lately.