DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

26 years thank you very much.

Interesting tidbit that I didn't know until reading stories this week. The Ballpark at Arlington (screw Globe Life Park) doesn't have AC (the new stadium will - partly because it will have a retractable roof)

But yeah - it might seem quick but the old park had a lot of mistakes when first designed (the lack of roof, having WAY too many seats)

And remember the old stadium is getting converted to a football field for the Dallas XFL team

Having attended a game there in late August, I can tell you that the lack of AC is a major issue.  Not so much because of the lack of AC per se - it's an open-air stadium, after all, you wouldn't expect AC - but that ABSOLUTELY NO AIR moves inside that stadium at all.  It's suffocating and sweltering and not pleasant.  Huge oversight not having some kind of system for moving air.  Incredibly gorgeous ballpark, though, in no small part because they copied Tiger Stadium's right field.

Edited by Tabe

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Joe Maddon says he wants to manage another 3-5 years (5 years would put him at 70)

So expect Brad Ausmus to be canned today and Maddon to be hired by the end of the week

Like clockwork, Ausmus has been fired.

Someone who is clearly not looking for a payday is suing the NY Mets because he got shot in the face by a t-shirt cannon from about 20' (6m for you commies).  

Of note, yes, it sucks he got hit by an errant cannon, but after receiving medical attention, he did not leave the game.  His lawyers haven't disclosed a dollar amount, but he does say he wants T-shirt Cannons banned from Mets games. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Mets-Fan-Sues-Team-After-Being-Hit-in-Face-by-T-Shirt-Cannon-at-Citi-Field-561838711.html

One one hand, Dude, get over yourself and grow a pair.  On the other, I'm someone that's on team "Pole to Pole netting" so that would remove T-shirt cannons anyway, so whatever.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

One one hand, Dude, get over yourself and grow a pair.  On the other, I'm someone that's on team "Pole to Pole netting" so that would remove T-shirt cannons anyway, so whatever.

Nah, they can just shoot the shirts over the net. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone who is clearly not looking for a payday is suing the NY Mets because he got shot in the face by a t-shirt cannon from about 20' (6m for you commies).  

Of note, yes, it sucks he got hit by an errant cannon, but after receiving medical attention, he did not leave the game.  His lawyers haven't disclosed a dollar amount, but he does say he wants T-shirt Cannons banned from Mets games. 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Mets-Fan-Sues-Team-After-Being-Hit-in-Face-by-T-Shirt-Cannon-at-Citi-Field-561838711.html

20ft away is going to be pretty forceful contact. Looks bad that he didn't leave, obviously, but he definitely has a right to be upset about getting shot in the face. 

More details on the guy who was hit with the cannon:

He apparently suffered a detached retina.  He declined a hospital trip as he could still see out of the eye, not realizing how serious his injury was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fan-sues-mets-after-t-shirt-cannon-nearly-blinded-him/ar-AAIb2vR?li=BBnba9I

If he truly suffered a detached retina - highly unlikely you'd lie about that in a lawsuit, I would think - I hope he wins a big pile of cash.

The Mets have officially fired Mickey Callaway

You would think they would want to get Maddon or Girardi

EDIT - That is what I get for adding more than one line to my post

So I might as well say that while they might want Maddon or Girardi - the Mets aren't known for paying managers the type of money required to get a Maddon or Girardi

Reports are that Rob Manfred has told the As they can move to Las Vegas if they want

(That is accordingly to the Oakland mayor)

So things are going well there

Manager Updates

LAA has interviewed Joe Maddon. Arte Moreno apparently flat out said Maddon was their top choice so good luck token minorities who interview for the job.

The Cubs have already interviewed Mark Loretta and Will Venerable. They are interviewing Joe Girardi (either today or tomorrow) and will interview David Ross later this week

The Mets are expected to interview Girardi this week too. (They want an experienced manager who also knows NY so Girardi and Buck Showalter are considered the favorites)

Padres supposedly want to interview Ron Washington but not Showalter (despite Manny Machado asking the team to do so)

The Pirates top choices at the moment are Jeff Bannister and Derek Shelton

I give Girardi a snowball's chance in hell of getting the job. This is just Theo wanting to see if Girardi is still a fuckface. 

Spoiler, he's probably still a fuckface.

I honestly have no idea who gets the job between Venable, Ross, and Loretta. Ross's kids are still young and they may still be more of a priority for him than baseball right now. Loretta is probably the ultimate yes man for Theo and Jed, but he also didn't do a damn thing as bench coach so who knows. And Venable was shipped from being Theo's special assistant to being a first base coach, which could mean anything. It could mean Theo thought he'd be valuable as a bench coach, it could mean that Venable sucked at Theo's jumping contests, it could mean that Venable got close to finding out Theo is a serial killer. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

You don't suppose a guy who won 106 games last season will suddenly be available tomorrow do you? 

Managers do tend to come first in the scapegoat line of succession

and a first round exit after 106 wins all but demands a scapegoat

I would be pretty goddamn shocked if they canned him. They seem to love him, and he has an excellent rapport with Friedman, and I think a lot of in-game decisions come direct from the FO. The cutesy fuckery with matchups, the seemingly unending desire to stay away from guys that should be in the lineup (like Freese in last year's NLCS and again this year.) All of that stuff seems like office mandates, because I keep hearing about between Geren and Roberts, LAD has all this baseball acumen, but they keep coming up short.

You see him do something like get a huge out from CK, and instead of going to Maeda, he stays on 22 and gets fucking immolated. At this point, even I have to question the insistence of using him in high leverage spots in the postseason. That's a decision that I as a baseball fan know should be made, but Roberts doesn't?

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. 7 straight West titles, not a goddamn thing to show for it but heartbreak.

I hate to be such a salty bitch, but it's fucking hard right now. See you guys in February!

Edited by grilledcheese

Changes to the Marlins coaching staff

Mel Stottlemyre Jr and Trey Hillman have agreed to new contracts to stay

Fredi Gonzalez has told them to go fuck themselves... err... I mean he said he wanted to "explore other options"