DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Donaldson is next because he is the only 3B left and someone will panic

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, maybe not because the word is that the Cubs are apparently determined to ship Kris Bryant out via trade this off-season.

I'd love to know what kind of offers Brian Cashman is getting for Miguel Andujar.

"We've seen an increase in foul balls hitting fans and we don't know why..."

Because you asshole analytic hitting coaches push nothing but pull hitting and launch angle and swinging to put the ball 600 ft away, of course shit is going to sail into the stands!  

And of course, those stadiums *STILL* aren't going pole to pole.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Dodgers have agreed to a 1 yr/10 mil deal with former A's closer Blake Treinen.

$10m for a 1.619 WHIP. Good work if you can get it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

I'm sure there's going to be a really fucked up story to counteract this but this is yet another reason I really love baseball/MLB.  Hoping that other sports follow suit though.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:16 AM, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, maybe not because the word is that the Cubs are apparently determined to ship Kris Bryant out via trade this off-season.

They can't make any trades because Ricketts is dragging his feet on approving a budget, leaving Theo with basically nothing to work with and unable to make any other deals. Anthony Rizzo's agent came forward a day or two ago saying they approached management about an extension and they were basically told that their hands are tied and they can't do anything.

And if they did trade KB or Willson then it would need to be for a massive haul and I don't think they're going to get that.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

They can't make any trades because Ricketts is dragging his feet on approving a budget, leaving Theo with basically nothing to work with and unable to make any other deals. Anthony Rizzo's agent came forward a day or two ago saying they approached management about an extension and they were basically told that their hands are tied and they can't do anything.

And if they did trade KB or Willson then it would need to be for a massive haul and I don't think they're going to get that.

There was a good article on espn detailing why a Cubs/Braves trade makes sense if the latter doesn't bring back Donaldson. It's ridiculous that a team that was so flush with prospects and young great players just a few years ago now needs to rebuild. 

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm sure there's going to be a really fucked up story to counteract this but this is yet another reason I really love baseball/MLB.  Hoping that other sports follow suit though.

It has to stem from Tyler Skaggs death from mixing alcohol and opioids with MLB realizing what much of the country already knows, we have a very serious opioid epidemic that primarily starts with prescription drugs. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Jerry Jones was asked about it on a radio interview today and he said he is pretty sure that with the new CBA coming, the NFL will end up doing away with it too.

• Thanks 1

The Tampa Bay Rays have agreed to a 2 yr/12 mil deal with Japanese outfielder/infielder Yoshitomo Tsutsugo.  The Rays will also have to pay Tsutsugo's former club, Yokohama, a 20% release fee, which will be approximately $2.4 million.

Lance McCullers avoids arbitration with the Astros by agreeing to a one year $4.1 million deal.

That was the same exact money he made last year with Houston while missing the entire season due to Tommy John

2 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

There was a good article on espn detailing why a Cubs/Braves trade makes sense if the latter doesn't bring back Donaldson. It's ridiculous that a team that was so flush with prospects and young great players just a few years ago now needs to rebuild. 

Ricketts has fucked this team so badly on payroll that the only option Theo has is to attempt to sell off key pieces of the core and the big contracts that currently produce well. I look back to 2017 and they could have attempted to retain Chapman and didn't, opting for Wade Davis, Morrow, and then Kimbrel. The amount that was approved for all of those could have been approved for Chapman after 2016. Then there's the shit with Arrieta leading to them signing Darvish when they could have gone a few million more to keep Arrieta. Next was the offseason last year where Theo famously talked about exit interviews and needing to fix things only for Ricketts to pull the rug out from under him and leave him with no money. And now the same shit is happening this year except the team doesn't even have a budget to work with.

Theo isn't without fault too. This is just my own hypothesis, but I think game 7 of the WS soured him on Maddon and lead to all of the different coaching changes over the last two years. The Heyward contract still stings considering Heyward hasn't produced anything close to what he did in his contract year. Chatwood sucked and would regularly leave games with more BB than Ks or innings pitched. And so on. Even when Theo was able to make a big signing last year, it was for Kimbrel and that really blew up in his face.

Even still, the organization is fucking flush with cash considering how much business is booming around the park and the new TV deal, but the money vault is locked shut. If the operating budget is even less than years prior, all they're left with is trying to move some of these pieces around to cut costs and rebuild the farm. So much money came off of the books this year too and it doesn't even matter.

So I'm just fully expecting the 2020 season to completely suck and David Ross looks more like a Dale Sveum hire to just keep the lights on until the team is a contender again.

• Like 1

NEW YORK -- Yoenis Cespedes' salary for 2019 was cut in half and his pay for 2020 significantly reduced as part of a settlement of a grievance between the injured outfielder and the New York Mets.

Cespedes agreed to a $110 million, four-year contract in December 2016 but hasn't played since July 20, 2018. The outfielder had surgery to remove bone calcification from his right heel on Aug. 2, 2018, and his left that Oct. 26.

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen, Cespedes' former agent, said in late May the outfielder sustained multiple right ankle fractures in an accident at Cespedes' ranch in Port St. Lucie, Florida, where the club's spring training complex is located.

New York withheld part of Cespedes' salary, alleging he was hurt during an activity prohibited by his contract's guarantee language. The players' association filed a grievance, and the sides settled on an amended contract before the case was argued.

"The club has reached an agreement with Yoenis Cespedes to amend and restructure his contract," the team said in a statement Friday. "Cespedes remains under contract with the Mets through the 2020 season."

Van Wagenen said last month he was uncertain whether Cespedes would play in 2020.

Cespedes had been owed $29 million this year and $29.5 million in 2020. His 2019 pay was cut to $14,811,828, according to Mets' payroll information made available to all clubs.

The amended contract will significantly lower his 2020 guaranteed salary from $29.5 million, a source tells ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Cespedes will have the chance to earn additional bonuses.

A two-time All-Star, the 34-year-old has played in only 119 games in the first three seasons of the contract, just 38 since the end of the 2017 season.

On 12/12/2019 at 9:01 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd love to know what kind of offers Brian Cashman is getting for Miguel Andujar.

Hell, apparently teams are calling Jerry DiPoto about Kyle Seager. For some reason everyone's freaking out about 3B this year

All the moves they have made to clear money and stick a guy like Bum in the mix with all the young pitching is pretty good work. I don't see them jumping over LAD with this, but to put yourself in a mix where you can be a WC team with a guy with that kind of postseason resume? Not too bad. 

Fuck AZ and all who may support them. Let's see if they hang on for three years or four before they offload him and the remainder of his deal like they did Greinke after this doesn't get them into the playoff mix either.