DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

I'm laughing so hard at this. Seriously, what in the fuck.

Outfielder made the right choice.  Who in the hell does Pinella think he is trying to turn a standard hit into an ITP HR.  She showed up that disrespect with a strike at the plate.  

Good for her. 

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 6:59 AM, RIPPA said:

I am positive people would argue folks like Soto, Acuna, etc.. the ones who were real good for one or two seasons.

I also give myself wiggle room because I am almost always convinced I am forgetting someone

I tend to be very Meltzer-esqe with my qualifiers

Nolan Arenado is right up there.  3-time home run champion, all-time great defensive 3B.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 5:49 PM, OSJ said:

Graig Nettles called to say "Not in this lifetime!"

Graig is letting his jealousy over having five fewer Gold Gloves and bitterness over his idiotic first name cloud his judgment.

• Haha 3

Okay here we go

DODGERS GET: OF Mookie Betts, LHP David Price, cash (all from BOS)
RED SOX GET: OF Alex Verdugo (from LAD), RHP Brusdar Graterol (from MIN)
TWINS GET: RHP Kenta Maeda (from LAD)

The cash is a "significant" amount (to help offset Price's deal)

Graterol is in almost all Top 100 lists (like BA had him 60)

And this is the most crazy thing of them all - Because LA is getting cash in the deal and traded Maeda AND Joc Pederson unless they go crazy at the trade deadline, they will stay under luxury tax threshold.

Ugh - now I have to respond and I hate myself

MLB announced a few weeks ago (before the latest Hall of Fame class was announced) that they consider that once someone is dead they are no longer on the "exempt" list (or whatever you want to call it). So then the Hall of Fame was "Good Enough for Us!"

So basically everyone expects all the Black Sox to end up on the next ballot the next time the Vet Committee is reviewing the really really old guys (I think they call it Golden Era)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

And somehow Joc Pederson is going to the Angels

It's a separate deal, Luis Rengifo and a couple prospects to LAD, ANA gets Pederson and a 19 year old kid named Andy Pages, who hit 19 HR in 63 G with rookie Ogden last year. Stripling looked to be a piece at one point, but I don't know if that evolved in any way.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The cash is a "significant" amount (to help offset Price's deal)

Number I saw was $48MM.

Edited by grilledcheese

I am pleased that my "Banned for life = once you're dead your sentence is served and are thus eligible for the HOF" logic has finally become officially sanctioned.

Of course, The Black Sox always should've had the loophole that they could not have been banned from the HOF since the HOF didn't exist when they were kicked out (and in fact Shoeless Joe did get votes for that initial class from voters who were unsure as to whether they were allowed to pick him or not).  It's a moot point outside of Jackson (who has the numbers) and maybe Cicotte as a legacy of the game "Godfather of the Knuckleball" [i.e. the first white guy to use it] or ironically enough for being the central figure of the fix.  But this bit of baseball history has always fascinated me so of course I overthink it like this.

So yeah, I'm fine with letting Rose in after he's dead.

• Like 2

the fact that Gabe Kapler is the new Giants manager and I am firmly looking at baseball's past rather than it's immediate future in the offseason thread is purely coincidental I assure you ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Ugh - now I have to respond and I hate myself

MLB announced a few weeks ago (before the latest Hall of Fame class was announced) that they consider that once someone is dead they are no longer on the "exempt" list (or whatever you want to call it). So then the Hall of Fame was "Good Enough for Us!"

So basically everyone expects all the Black Sox to end up on the next ballot the next time the Vet Committee is reviewing the really really old guys (I think they call it Golden Era)

MLB did not announce that.  It was "reports" that ended up being refuted by the Hall:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28509763/hall-fame-says-deceased-players-mlb-ineligible-list-ballots