DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

16 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If reports are to be believed - Dusty Baker will be the Astros manager

tenor.gif?itemid=15298100

lol  

Verlander and Greinke are going to be shattering Cy Young's Innings Pitched record.  

• Haha 5

Mike Trout - 12 years, $426.5 million

Bryce Harper - 13 years, $330 million

Gerrit Cole - 9 years, $324 million

Manny Machado - 10 years, $330 million

When you are arguably the 2nd best player in baseball, you better damn well ask for 12 years, $420 million. At a minimum ask for more than what Harper or a starting pitcher got.

The Sox leaking the offers is classic "THE BIG MEAN PLAYER WON'T TAKE ALL THIS MONEY WE ARE OFFERING! WE ARE THE TRUE VICTIMS!!!!"

When you say you "forgive" the Red Sox, what you are doing is forgiving them for all the shitty other deals they made (David Price, Chris Sale, Dustin Pedroia, etc...) that have them now claiming poverty that they can't keep Mookie

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Mike Trout - 12 years, $426.5 million

Bryce Harper - 13 years, $330 million

Gerrit Cole - 9 years, $324 million

Manny Machado - 10 years, $330 million

When you are arguably the 2nd best player in baseball, you better damn well ask for 12 years, $420 million. At a minimum ask for more than what Harper or a starting pitcher got.

The Sox leaking the offers is classic "THE BIG MEAN PLAYER WON'T TAKE ALL THIS MONEY WE ARE OFFERING! WE ARE THE TRUE VICTIMS!!!!"

When you say you "forgive" the Red Sox, what you are doing is forgiving them for all the shitty other deals they made (David Price, Chris Sale, Dustin Pedroia, etc...) that have them now claiming poverty that they can't keep Mookie

"Arguably"? You know I respect your baseball IQ, who else would even be in the discussion? I can see Acuna getting there in a couple of years, but from my viewing of position players it pretty much comes down to:

1. Trout

2. Mookie

3. Everyone else

10 minutes ago, OSJ said:

"Arguably"? You know I respect your baseball IQ, who else would even be in the discussion? I can see Acuna getting there in a couple of years, but from my viewing of position players it pretty much comes down to:

1. Trout

2. Mookie

3. Everyone else

I am positive people would argue folks like Soto, Acuna, etc.. the ones who were real good for one or two seasons.

I also give myself wiggle room because I am almost always convinced I am forgetting someone

I tend to be very Meltzer-esqe with my qualifiers

1 minute ago, RIPPA said:

I am positive people would argue folks like Soto, Acuna, etc.. the ones who were real good for one or two seasons.

I also give myself wiggle room because I am almost always convinced I am forgetting someone

I tend to be very Meltzer-esqe with my qualifiers

Probably for guys nearing FA, Lindor would be above Mookie because of his position.  

But point is - Mookie is a top 10 player, FAR more valuable than Harper.  Rippa listed the stupid money of some lesser players (aside from Trout, obviously) are getting.  

What that points to is the Sox were dumb with money - especially on that Sale extension and the JD Martinez contract - when they KNEW Mookie was going to get paid soon.

But hey!  They HAD to NOT non-tender JBJ AND they just signed Mitch Moreland.  Clearly Mookie is just a greedy bastard!

5 hours ago, EdA said:

Probably for guys nearing FA, Lindor would be above Mookie because of his position.  

But point is - Mookie is a top 10 player, FAR more valuable than Harper.  Rippa listed the stupid money of some lesser players (aside from Trout, obviously) are getting.  

What that points to is the Sox were dumb with money - especially on that Sale extension and the JD Martinez contract - when they KNEW Mookie was going to get paid soon.

But hey!  They HAD to NOT non-tender JBJ AND they just signed Mitch Moreland.  Clearly Mookie is just a greedy bastard!

When did the lovable underdogs turn into the Evil Empire V 2.0? Having watched the Sawx since the 1967 season, I find their metamorphosis strangely compelling regarding their rivals in pinstripes... 'Beware of fighting monsters for too long, lest ye become one..." 

5 minutes ago, OSJ said:

When did the lovable underdogs turn into the Evil Empire V 2.0? Having watched the Sawx since the 1967 season, I find their metamorphosis strangely compelling regarding their rivals in pinstripes... 'Beware of fighting monsters for too long, lest ye become one..." 

Are you confusing the Red Sox with the Cubs?

The Sox were never the loveable underdog.

I mean no one was thinking the were loveable underdogs against the Mets in 86

And it sure as fuck wasn't when Tom Yawkey didn't want to sign blacks

• Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, RIPPA said:

Are you confusing the Red Sox with the Cubs?

The Sox were never the loveable underdog.

I mean no one was thinking the were loveable underdogs against the Mets in 86

And it sure as fuck wasn't when Tom Yawkey didn't want to sign blacks

1967-1975 and thereabouts. We had such hopes for Tony Conigliaro, Boomer Scott, Yaz, etc. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OSJ said:

1967-1975 and thereabouts. We had such hopes for Tony Conigliaro, Boomer Scott, Yaz, etc. 

You mean Yaz didn't win a ring when Carlton Fisk hit that HR

Weird... MLB sure as fuck wants you to believe that

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

You mean Yaz didn't win a ring when Carlton Fisk hit that HR

Weird... MLB sure as fuck wants you to believe that

I realize that it was before your time, but the Yankees were the evil empire and the Sawx were perhaps the equivalent of the 1990s Braves, a team that on paper looked to be able to forge a dynasty, but almost always fell short.  Quite frankly, if they had a better player than Yaz in the field and at the bat they might have done better. Yaz is one of the most over-rated players to ever play the game. He was pretty damn sub-par for all of about four years of his career. Darrell Evans get knocked for having the same sort of career despite having played a more difficult position for much of his career. Yaz isn't the worst guy in the HOF, but he'd damn sure make the 2020 version of "Throw the Rascals Out" should I get bored and decide to do one.

Oh stop with the Evil Empire nonsense. Though I guess I should be thankful you didn't call them the Bankees

In the time span you picked - the Red Sox went to 2 World Series. They lost both but still made it. They also had 2 seconds.

In the same span the Yankees went to.... zero World Series. The Yanks finished 2nd twice and that was it.

No one bitched about how Evil the Yanks were when George was drunkenly spending his money and the Yanks won shit.

They only got pissy after 1996

If you want to hate the Yanks because they won a bunch of World Series pre-1964 okay but that doesn't mean that instantly made the Red Sox "loveable losers"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Oh stop with the Evil Empire nonsense. Though I guess I should be thankful you didn't call them the Bankees

In the time span you picked - the Red Sox went to 2 World Series. They lost both but still made it. They also had 2 seconds.

In the same span the Yankees went to.... zero World Series. The Yanks finished 2nd twice and that was it.

No one bitched about how Evil the Yanks were when George was drunkenly spending his money and the Yanks won shit.

They only got pissy after 1996

If you want to hate the Yanks because they won a bunch of World Series pre-1964 okay but that doesn't mean that instantly made the Red Sox "loveable losers"

I am and have always been a Braves fan, which makes the Yankees and Dodgers automatically hateful. I had to grow up with a bunch of other kids wearing #7 on their jackets. I remained a loyal supporter of the Holy Trinity of Mathews, Aaron, and Adcock.

• Like 1