DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

On 12/12/2019 at 2:28 PM, Raziel said:

"We've seen an increase in foul balls hitting fans and we don't know why..."

Because you asshole analytic hitting coaches push nothing but pull hitting and launch angle and swinging to put the ball 600 ft away, of course shit is going to sail into the stands!  

And of course, those stadiums *STILL* aren't going pole to pole.

Let me throw in that people don't pay attention at games anymore. 

It's just another hangout spot for many.

11 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

Let me throw in that people don't pay attention at games anymore. 

It's just another hangout spot for many.

Let me throw in that fans get hit all the time even when paying attention.  As do players.  Also, people sneeze.  Or drop things.  Or get bumped.  There is literally no reason to not extend the nets.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

There is literally no reason to not extend the nets.  

*cue 174 sepia-toned, folksy anecdotes about theoretical kids blocked from getting autographs by a mesh more impenetrable than the Berlin Wall*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamhock said:

*cue 174 sepia-toned, folksy anecdotes about theoretical kids blocked from getting autographs by a mesh more impenetrable than the Berlin Wall*

Let them watch the game through a knothole in the fence. 

• Like 3

The Cardinals signed left-hander Kwang-Hyun Kim, who pitched for the SK Wyverns in the Korea Baseball Organization, to a two-year contract on Tuesday.

The deal is for $8 million, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

11 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dallas Keuchel to the White Sox

3 years, $55.5 million (there is a 4th year vesting option at $18.5 million)

This and the Grandal move are very much Reinsdorf type moves. Throw the dice on veteran players who have started showing signs of regression. If you hit, you hit. The lengths of the deals aren't completely crippling, either. Plus, the AL Central as a whole decided to tank, so the White Sox are saying Fuck It.

I didn't think this was quite dumb enough for the dumb stuff thread, but it's pretty goddamn dumb!! That being said, this is the kind of MLB arrest I can get behind. Trying to stop the cops from tossing your wife in the pokey seems like  a pretty decent reason to get thrown in the clink.

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-rich-hill-arrested-for-attempted-patriots-game-tailgating/2019/12/23/

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2019 at 8:35 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Per Jon Heyman, Hyun-Jin Ryu is going to Toronto. 4 yr/80 million

They are going to hate this contract. He will get lit up in Toronto. 

5 hours ago, Tabe said:

How so? It's not like there is a salary cap that this contract will mess with. And Rogers is far from poor. Most Jays fans are happy they took a swing on something more than an arm off the junk pile. 

The Mets officially announced a one-year deal with reliever Dellin Betances on Tuesday. Betances’ deal has a player option for 2021. The deal is worth $10.5 million guaranteed, including a $3 million buyout on his 2021 player option, MLB.com's Anthony DiComo reports. It could max out at $13.5 million over two years if he exercises the option.

The D-backs have agreed to a two-year deal with outfielder Kole Calhoun with a club option for 2022, sources told MLB.com's Jon Paul Morosi and Steve Gilbert on Tuesday. The source said that Calhoun's contract with Arizona is for $16 million guaranteed. The 2022 club option is worth $9 million, with a $2 million buyout.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

While that may be true, although I'm not sure I agree completely, whatever merch they sell to the new fans in Korea will help to take some of the sting away if it doesn't work out. 

Also, whatever deal they struck to get all Jays games televised in South Korea probably offsets some of the cost of his deal. Obviously, the league gets their piece first, but some money for fuck's sure lands in the pockets of TOR. 

On 12/24/2019 at 12:08 PM, grilledcheese said:

While that may be true, although I'm not sure I agree completely, whatever merch they sell to the new fans in Korea will help to take some of the sting away if it doesn't work out. 

Also, whatever deal they struck to get all Jays games televised in South Korea probably offsets some of the cost of his deal. Obviously, the league gets their piece first, but some money for fuck's sure lands in the pockets of TOR. 

That's fair. I was strictly looking at it from a baseball perspective. Ancillary money may very well pay for his contract. 

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Because of all the ballots that aren't revealed - usually the guys in the 70s don't make it

I also like that you put this in the wrong thread to really irritated me

Can you blame him.for not wanting to post that thread? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1