DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

The Reds giving Mike Moustakas 4 years, $64 million sure sounds like a team thinking there is a salary floor they need to stay above

Good for him in getting his money finally, as long as he doesn't turn into the next Ian Desmond. AKA the guy who everyone thought would get a long term deal, who rejected the qualifying offer, only to get a one year deal for less then it, but then finally get the term, only to bomb while doing so.

Edited by Elpatrongrande

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Zack Wheeler to the Phillies

5 years, $118 million

It is truly bizarro world when guys with a 102 ERA+ last year, that have never thrown 200 innings, will be 30 the first month of the first year, of the contract, that give up a lot of hits...get $24m a year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tabe said:

It is truly bizarro world when guys with a 102 ERA+ last year, that have never thrown 200 innings, will be 30 the first month of the first year, of the contract, that give up a lot of hits...get $24m a year.

I'd say the 5 year $137m extension we signed DeGrom to looks awfully good right now.

• Like 1

In various stadium news

- The Angels and Anaheim have come to an agreement to keep the team in Anaheim for another 30 years. The deal runs through 2050. The Angels purchased their stadium and the surrounding lots. They are now trying to decide if they want to build a new stadium on the existing land or just renovate.

- The Rays and St Petersburg have agreed that the Rays will stop exploring the notion of spending half their season in Montreal. Basically it reads like in 7 years when the lease is up, Tampa is fine with the Rays leaving, no hard feelings.

Let's say the Rays do leave for Montreal in 7 years, do you think they stay in the AL East or will MLB want to keep les Expos as an NL franchise? Of course, who knows what the divisions might look like in 7 years if MLB decides on expanding further. I'd be fine with the Expos staying in the AL East and hopefully no more expansion.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Unless they expand in addition to the Rays moving - MLB will do everything in their power to get them to a city that works with the AL East so they don’t have to realign.

So Montreal, Charlotte and Nashville are your best bets.

IF they realign it would probably be a Montreal team to the NL East and the Marlins to the AL East

56 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I’d think they would not want Montreal and Toronto in the same division or even league. 

That's why I mentioned the 2nd scenario

Though I think if MLB truly had its druthers - it wouldn't be going back to Montreal at all

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Unless they expand in addition to the Rays moving - MLB will do everything in their power to get them to a city that works with the AL East so they don’t have to realign.

So Montreal, Charlotte and Nashville are your best bets.

IF they realign it would probably be a Montreal team to the NL East and the Marlins to the AL East

That's the scenario I was thinking would be most likely.

32 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Well, this seems big. 

10:27am: Houston will receive left-hander Blake Taylor and outfielder Kenedy Corona in return for Marisnick, ESPN’s Jeff Passan tweets.

Saw this this morning, thought it was pretty wild. Obviously, more of the same with trash can clunks and all that jazz, but immediately after the first one, a mic picks up someone saying "breaking ball down". Fucking nuts, man.

• Like 2

Nats owner Mark Lerner said in an interview that the club can not afford to bring back both Anthony Rendon and Stephen Strasburg

(Obviously they can afford to do so in the general sense)

Rays would get: OF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Xavier Edwards (the No. 72 ranked prospect in MLB)

Padres would get: OF Tommy Pham, two-way prospect Jake Cronenworth

Everyone has to pass physicals first

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rays would get: OF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Xavier Edwards (the No. 72 ranked prospect in MLB)

Padres would get: OF Tommy Pham, two-way prospect Jake Cronenworth

Everyone has to pass physicals first

That's "slapdick prospect" thank you very much.

• Haha 2

I fucking can't stand Tom Ricketts. Did exactly what I worried he would do, which was win a championship and then coast on everything after. For him to keep saying there's no money when you look at how much the area around the park has changed, all things Ricketts owns, is ridiculous. A bunch of money came off the books and now the team can't even make any trades because ownership won't commit to a budget.

I fully expect KB, Willson, and plenty others to be dealt when they need to just find a way to part ways with Heyward and many others. Meanwhile, they brought back Morrow on a minor league deal. Wonderful.

Just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Scott Boras - doing his usual "get the media to help drive up the price" routine - has let it be known (unofficially) that the Yankees starting bid for Gerrit Cole is 7 years, $245 million

That right there would be the record overall and AAV contract for a pitcher.

Reportedly that is the Yanks "starting" offer

Who knows where and for how much Cole signs for but I don't think anyone is going to complain about teams not spending this offseason.