DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Looks like the Dodgers have decided on their fall guy

Rick Honeycutt is getting reassigned

Mark Prior (yup that one) is the new pitching coach

I'm not entirely sure it's a reactionary move to the way the NLDS unfolded. It certainly could be. Honeycutt's back is all kinds of fucked, he had spinal fusion surgery earlier this year. The constant travel associated with being a part of the dugout coaching staff could be something that he wanted to get away from. Watching him come up the stairs to make visits was a task that did not look fun from an outside standpoint.

I'm hoping that with Prior moving into the dugout, LAD will hire AJ Ellis as a bullpen coach. He always impressed me with his approach to handling his staff. And it's not like it's unheard of for a catcher to transition to pitching coach, but it is a bit of an old-timey idea. Dave Duncan is the last one that I can think of, but I always thought that a smart catcher was a real solid piece to have as an addition to your pitching coaching staff.

If you want to start reading between the lines on things - Joe Girardi has withdrawn as Team USA Manager (Scott Brosius is the new manager)

Olympic qualifying is about to start hence why the news is making the rounds

Managerial Updates

Supposedly the Cubs could hire David Ross as earlier as tomorrow (Thursday). Joe Espada remains the "backup" choice (It appears that Espada might get screwed again due to the Astros playoff pushes)

Joe Girardi is the strong favorite to get the Phillies job. However, the Mets are getting a second interview with him. Someone is going to hilariously overpay him to keep him away from the other club.

Oh also - the Mets supposedly have a MYSTERY CANDIDATE~! who was described as a "bombshell" (Local reporting has ruled out that that person is David Wright.)

Mike Matheny is most likely getting the Royals job but supposedly they won't just "hand him the job"

The Mets seem to now be focusing on Nats 1B coach Tim Bogar, ESPN analyst Eduardo Perez, and Carlos Beltran, all of whom got (or are about to get) their 2nd interviews.  Because, who needs experience?

Luis Rojas and Derek Shelton are also in contention. 

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I have no idea who that is, but it’s not Ron Washington. 

Apparently he is great at analytics and player interactions. It's what finance people would call a High Beta hire.