DVDVR Message Board

MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Dolfan in NYC

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to MLB OFFSEASON - P&C report 2/10/20

Setting up my lawn chair in here now because I doubt the Cubs do anything this post-season. Maddon won't be extended, nor should he, all the dead weight on the books will still be there limiting the team's cash, something tells me Brandon Morrow probably won't pitch again in the majors (not for the Cubs anyway), who the hell knows what's going on with Schwarber and anyone else, Tom Ricketts will say there isn't any money to spend so Castellanos will wind up with the Yankees or some shit, and the window will just be closed at that point. 

It's really weird. The team should have had a 10 year window of success and now it's basically shut. The other thing to is that Theo's track record when it comes to FA signings or trades is not good. Or, at least it was good at first, but everything after 2016 has been really meh. 

On the other hand, it's really fun seeing Gleyber have as much success as he's having. We loved watching him here in South Bend and knew he would be a star, he's a really good kid or at least he was back then and I assume he still is, and I hope he gets a World Series ring some day.

• 2 weeks later...

Padres are the first on the coaching carousel as they have fired Andy Green (while not stated - it seems like the usual Green was told he was gonna to be fired and turned down the offer to manager the season out)

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Padres are the first on the coaching carousel as they have fired Andy Green (while not stated - it seems like the usual Green was told he was gonna to be fired and turned down the offer to manager the season out)

Side note to this - Bruce Bochy was asked if he would consider going back to San Diego (instead of retiring) and he was non-committal.

Reports are already out that he is on the Padres short list

For the love of all that is holy please let Joe Maddon be available this offseason and have the spirit of sanity possess those çriminals the Wilpons and make them hire him.

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2019 at 8:35 AM, RIPPA said:

The Marlins extend Don Mattingly for two years

Mattingly apparently took a "significant" paycut to stay in Miami.  He was the 6th highest paid in baseball this last season. 

At first I was like "God - Donnie Baseball really hates himself" but Ed rightly pointed out that Mattingly is probably never going to get another managerial gig so he might as well hold onto this one for as long as he can.

On 9/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, RIPPA said:

At first I was like "God - Donnie Baseball really hates himself" but Ed rightly pointed out that Mattingly is probably never going to get another managerial gig so he might as well hold onto this one for as long as he can.

He's holding out hope that someday he may get the Yankees job.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The Red Sox announced that they want to get under the luxury tax by the end of next season.

Realistically - the only way they are going to do that is by trading Mookie Betts this offseason (along with praying that JD Martinez opts out)

And if they do keep him for the year - there is no way they are re-signing him.

Basically what I am saying is Mookie Betts will not be a Red Sox for life

Doesn't that undermine their ability to seek a good deal this winter should they look to move him? Or are they gambling that teams won't try and wait them out and instead engage in a bidding war?

edit: Likeliest landing spots for him should they trade him?

Edited by Oyaji

It is easier if I just c&p

With just one year of team control remaining before he could hit free agency, the Red Sox will have to weigh whether to deal Betts now for a haul of controllable players, or ride it out for another year and recoup a draft pick after extending the qualifying offer. It’s worth noting that such a momentous decision will surely be a topic of discussion in GM interviews, though ultimately the decision will likely be made by ownership.

---------------

For his part, Betts has given ample reason to believe that he intends to test the open market after the 2020 season, at which point the Red Sox could only receive draft pick compensation should he choose to sign elsewhere. Thus, if the organization wants to retain the most value in exchange for its best asset, trading Betts would be the way to go. Of course, Betts could still re-sign with the Red Sox after testing free agency, but the Red Sox certainly wouldn’t bank on that outcome.

Otherwise, the Red Sox could simply hang on to Betts and pencil him into the leadoff spot for another crack at the postseason. Assuming he leaves at the end of the year, the Sox would only collect a draft pick in this scenario, but if the team wants to maximize its chances of returning to the Fall Classic, Betts needs to be in the lineup. He’s unquestionably been one of the most productive players in baseball over the last few years, ranking second behind only Mike Trout in fWAR since 2016.

But with Red Sox ownership intent on cutting payroll to sneak under the luxury tax, now might be the time to cash in on Betts’s trade value. In his final arbitration season, Betts is a virtual lock to fetch a salary approaching $30MM. Last offseason, he reeled in a $20MM payday that established the benchmark for players in his service class. After another fantastic season, a similar uptick in pay would place him in the neighborhood of $30MM. It would be hard to reconcile such a hefty price for one player with a top-down mandate to shed payroll.

----------------

Certainly, though, the Red Sox won’t force a deal if the price isn’t right. The club will surely insist on a handsome return for its MVP, and the trade market will have some sway in the team’s decision to pull the trigger on a deal. If Boston’s offers are underwhelming, there’s no pressure to trade Betts; keeping him around for another year can only help the team’s chances in 2020.

Interested teams will be wary that Betts may only be a one-year rental, and will therefore be hesitant to surrender promising youngsters who could benefit their club for years to come. It’s a risk, sure, but there are precious few opportunities to add a 26-year-old MVP in the prime of his career, and making such a move instantly boosts any team’s odds.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/09/latest-on-mookie-betts.html

As for actual teams... the pool is smaller when you factor in how many teams can take on a contract that Betts is gonna want (or even that one year rental price of around $30 million). Oh and a deep farm system that would be able to provide the needed prospects.

That is why usually the teams rumors are always: Dodgers (rich, deep farm system), Braves (cheap current commitments, deep farm system), White Sox (all the money in the world to spend, decent farm system) and Padres (deep farm system, owners who appear willing to spend)

Nats win so the NL Wild Card game will be in DC

The Cubs are currently beating the Cards 6-0 in the 5th. The Brewers are scoreless in the 3rd

The Cards clinch the Central with a win and Brewers loss.

The chance that there will be a tiebreaker game Monday in St Louis remain decent

Nevermind. My friend who texted me is a fucking moron and can't read and I'm dumb for not looking it up myself first.

Joe Maddon is done in Chicago. I'm kinda bummed.

Edited by Craig H

There's an article on the MLB site about Maddon being out, and he is quoted as saying that people should remember the three straight NLCS and how they were "a few knocks shy of 3 straight WS". I can't discount what he's done there, but the delusion is real if he thinks that getting swept in 2015 and tomahawked in 5 games in 2017 is within "a couple knocks" of WS appearances in those years.

Not all that surprising, though. I've always gotten the vibe from him that he considers himself the smartest guy in any room. It would be out of character for him to not try to draw our attention to how great he is, even on the way out.

I don't disagree with any of that.

Also, people tend to forget how he nearly overmanaged the Cubs to a loss in game 7 by pulling Hendricks early, putting in Lester too early, and putting in Chapman after wearing out Chapman's arm. So many times I wondered what the fuck Maddon was doing, only to see him get bailed out by wacky shit like David Ross hitting a pinch hit homerun.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This stadium is only 25 years old.    But hey, why fix something nice, when the state of Texas hands you over a billion dollars. 

26 years thank you very much.

Interesting tidbit that I didn't know until reading stories this week. The Ballpark at Arlington (screw Globe Life Park) doesn't have AC (the new stadium will - partly because it will have a retractable roof)

But yeah - it might seem quick but the old park had a lot of mistakes when first designed (the lack of roof, having WAY too many seats)

And remember the old stadium is getting converted to a football field for the Dallas XFL team