DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Boss-Hug-Chair Connection - 9/2/2019

Overly Critical Man

7 hours ago, RIShane said:

Wrestling fans in 2019 love ‘shocking’ moments and thus love heel turns. The dynamic helped Becky last year too, in honesty—as they rode the momentum and gave her a huge push. 

Becky is a face.

Chanting "YES!" at a heel turn is shit 100% of the time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

What’s the last heel turn that drew boo’s?

Hogan joining the NWO? I realize that Jarrett turned a bunch of times after that, but no one ever cared enough about Jeff Jarrett to bother booing him.

14 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

What’s the last heel turn that drew boo’s?

Seth turning on the Shield?

Wrestling fans, or WWE fans anyway, don't boo or cheer wrestlers, so much as they boo or cheer wrestling. Wrestling booking, even. So a heel turn they think of as bad wrestling (breaking up an act they would have liked to stay together, for example) gets booed. Whilst a heel turn they wanted/ expected, that makes sense and sets up good things for the future, that gets cheered. Spend all those years telling people this is entertainment, you can't complain when they start cheering or booing based on whether they think something is entertaining or not.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, For Great Justice said:

Not only should Bray win the title, but I think he needs to. Try shouldn’t have this gimmick lose so soon after its debut. 

And that gimmick is perfect for the belt as he could easily do the GMA / ESPN stuff in his lovable burgundy sweater.

Bray Wyatt definitely has to win the WWE Universal Championship. You then do less is more, by doing that an appearance by the Fiend stands out. Alternate that with Firefly Fun House segments and some weeks do neither. Besides we're used to an absentee WWE Universal Champion in Brock Lesnar ; ).

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

The Bayley turn was fun. Sometimes things that are telegraphed still work. 

I'm sorry, but I just don't find the whole "BOSS" thing believable. Sasha has talent, but I don't believe her promos. At all. Because I don't really think she believes them. She's a gamer nerd from Boston pretending to be hood. I'm from Atlanta, and she wouldn't last a week here. And her secondhand figure skating onesie from last night didn't help matters.

I'm glad we didn't have "triple threat" rules in 1995, because that time limit draw between Michaels and Kama would've led to them going into a 3 way with King Mabel, and I don't think anyone wants to see that. 

Rollins is boring. Every week he gets asked to do ten+ minute segments, and every week he brings the show to a screeching halt. There are five better choices on RAW to be top guy, but still they insist on captain flippydoo. Hopefully Strowman ends this madness.

Wyatt is so far above everything else happening right now. Holy cow.

I like the Roode/Ziggler thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIShane said:

She is now. She wasn't for a couple of months even while fans cheered everything she did.

That wasn't a clear-cut heel turn. Kayfabe, storyline-wise, Becky was actually fucked out of her title shot and win by Charlotte. WWE botched that storyline by setting Becky up to be sympathetic underdog to Charlotte's overbearing presence. There's none of that happening here. When Bayley lost her cool and attacked Sasha last year, that wasn't a heel turn because the dynamics of the storyline were different. This very clearly is a heel turn, on one of the most over babyfaces in the company, and fans are cheering for it. The company didn't botch the turn; the fans did. No surprise that the usual suspects are already blaming that on Vince and not holding idiot fans accountable for their idiocy.

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bray Wyatt definitely has to win the WWE Universal Championship. You then do less is more, by doing that an appearance by the Fiend stands out. Alternate that with Firefly Fun House segments and some weeks do neither. Besides we're used to an absentee WWE Universal Champion in Brock Lesnar ; ).

I’m barely watching the shows now, but fwiw I think it would be fun to bring Vince on to television regularly to work with Bray during a championship run. It could sort of be a throwback to his stuff with Dude Love during the Austin feud. He’s all in on Bray because he thinks he has a genuine appeal to kids and is their next Cena in that regard, and he’s completely oblivious to the Fiend and Bray’s clear passive aggressive contempt for him. Like, he could love the boss puppet and have no idea it’s based on him. It’d probably be too meta, but it’d be neat to have Vince as the doddering old man pushing hard for Bray while everyone around him is horrified and confused, 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Greggulator said:

I can maybe buy people cheering a heel turn against Nattie (someone fans hate due to personal irritation) but Becky's the biggest face in the company pretty much. Becky's whole deal is the Steve Austin template -- the woman who had to overcome a lot of odds to get to where she is, and did it by finding a deep well of confidence where she will spit in the face of anyone who gets in her way. Anyone who wants to get ahead by taking cheap shots and acting out of jealousy should be completely booed out of the ring. 

Instead, we get a YES! chant. 

Baltimore fans suck.

FTFY.  I had fun the times I went to the shows but the crowd can be pretty stupid.  I still won't forgive them for chanting "Husky Harris!" during Bray's Raw debut.  Fucking idiots.

As for Bayley's turn it was a long time coming.  She wanted it to happen a couple years ago while on Austin's podcast as she knew the act was getting stale.  She wasn't sure though if she could pull it off since it'll mean betraying her fans but we'll see how she handles it.  For the sake of the story it makes sense she attacked Becky.  But I would have waited until next week as I hope this reinforces the idea that Baltimore can't be trusted with this stuff again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Is this the first signs of Corbin becoming a work rate darling? He really carried his own in that match, and I kept asking "am I really enjoying this right now?"

Corbin is solid. Corbin’s push and presentation are wretched. But he’s a big dude, can go a bit, is great at talking shit. I’m a fan.

He’s unfortunately kind of the face of this boring, soulless era of Raw because of how much airtime he gets and his awful presentation, including the false promise of 10 dollar Endless Apps.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

That wasn't a clear-cut heel turn. The company didn't botch the turn; the fans did. No surprise that the usual suspects are already blaming that on Vince and not holding idiot fans accountable for their idiocy.

Might want to change your password there, I think @SorceressKnight has hacked your account.

fingers crossed for a Jake Roberts/The Rock style dramatic minor chord slowdown of her original theme. And maybe the inflating buddies can intentionally wilt and have boo-boo face from now on, like what accidentally happened at Wrestlemania.