DVDVR Message Board

UFC 242: Khabib vs. Poirier (9/7/2019) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (Yas Island, The Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

18 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The lightweight division is a cruel mistress. Even guys like Mairbek Taisumov are ripe for upset.

That's tough circumstances to come back from a year layoff. Ferreira had endless stamina, took some of Taisumov's better shots, and wouldn't slow down in those seemingly gross conditions. Hopefully Taisumov can bounce back from this and start fighting more regularly.

• Like 1

Just now, Oyaji said:

Between wobbling him in the second and kind of almost having a guillotine attempt, was that the closest anybody has gotten to doing something against Khabib since Johnson?

Yes. Barboza didn't put a finger on him and Iaquinta landed a few punches but largely was not really competitive.

Tony will be real squiggly and should make for a relatively exciting fight. Dustin went a little too wild after shaking Khabib in the second and looked to gas himself going for the finish but if he didn't get it then he knew it was unlikely ever to come so I get it.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Tony will be real squiggly and should make for a relatively exciting fight. Dustin went a little too wild after shaking Khabib in the second and looked to gas himself going for the finish but if he didn't get it then he knew it was unlikely ever to come so I get it.

If Ferguson can make it to the championship rounds, it will get very intriguing. Usually, I wouldn't bet on a fighter's ability to withstand punishment but Ferguson is so incredibly conditioned that he shakes off a lot of offense that would normally put down everyone else. It's downright absurd. It's not like Felix Trinidad years ago where he would get knocked down in the 1st round every fight but then just storm back. I think that's more Gaethje than Ferguson. Ferguson takes people's best and then just acts like it never happened. Khabib puts fighters in survival mode from the outset to the point where they're completely thrown off. Even here, Poirier didn't look like Dustin Poirier because he knew those takedowns were coming. Barboza didn't even attempt to throw anything at Khabib. It didn't take too long for McGregor to look bewildered. With Tony Ferguson, I don't see an opponent with that will retreat within himself so quickly. Ferguson is a crazy enough motherfucker where he would look forward to being in the trenches with Khabib.

• Like 2

I give props to Poirier for a valiant performance. he clearly did not go into that fight to lose. Came back from a crushing first round and had Khabib hurt in the second and almost finished him with a guillotine choke in the third.

Praying we finally get Tony Ferguson vs. Nurmagomedov without a hitch this time.

I have a feeling the only one who can throw a hitch in the plans for Khabib vs. Ferguson now is Conor. If he arbitrarily decides he wants to play ball with the UFC, he can easily insert himself into the mix. This may be conjecture, but at some point, I see Conor being bothered by the perception that the UFC is rolling along fine without him. Boxing journalists malign Floyd for this in retirement, but honestly, McGregor is on a whole different level of being an attention whore. Floyd is at least savvy enough to understand some of the optics and when and how to capitalize. He will be front row of a big Lakers game (or most recently, a WNBA game) so some person in the media can ask about a potential return and then rumors will swirl. Conor's business acumen extends to tweeting randomly and getting into trouble. Add in the fact that in the 242 post fight presser Dana didn't really push back on the idea of a Khabib-McGregor II fight at all. This is setting up for McGregor potentially playing spoiler. Conor just needs to see the right dollar figure. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 2

Khabib said he wouldn't fight him until he won a fight, but that is likely posturing. I think McGregor would want a final fight with Diaz before getting crushed again by Fuckin Khalabib. I know he's extra delusional even for an athlete but I don't even think Conor feels like he can beat Khabib. I've heard his excuses and that's a shook man. 

On 9/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, Oyaji said:

Khabib said he wouldn't fight him until he won a fight, but that is likely posturing. I think McGregor would want a final fight with Diaz before getting crushed again by Fuckin Khalabib. I know he's extra delusional even for an athlete but I don't even think Conor feels like he can beat Khabib. I've heard his excuses and that's a shook man. 

Agreed. I’ve always said that I’d love to see the version of McGregor that beat Eddie Alvarez up against Khabib but I don’t even think that’s enough. 

4 minutes ago, peterien said:

Agreed. I’ve always said that I’d love to see the version of McGregor that beat Eddie Alvarez up against Khabib but I don’t even think that’s enough. 

Knowing how Alvarez fights, McGregor was just a terrible style matchup for him. I dunno if Conor was just afraid to be taken down just like everyone and didn't want to over commit but against Khabib, there was nothing on those punches. I think part of the problem might have very well been McGregor waiting for opportunities to present themselves just like the Eddie Alvarez fight.