DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

On 2/24/2017 at 5:14 AM, AxB said:

I would guess that Rocky winning best picture that year was one of those things that looked inevitable at the time, but history (and sequels) have diminished it, whilst allowing it's opposition to look better and more prescient. Sort of like how when people look back on this year they'll think it's a travesty that La La Land beat Moonlight.

Just stumbled across this thread and found this entry hilarious with the benefit of hindsight.

On 23/02/2017 at 8:41 PM, Control said:

ROCKY winning best picture was a mistake. Fun movie, sure, but not better than TAXI DRIVER or NETWORK.

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as "Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption."

I liked Rocky. It had depth. It wasn't just a fun sports movie.

When you realize at the end Rocky doesn't give a shit about the result and only wanted to prove something to himself and Adrian.

"Where's your hat?"

He's just lost the biggest match of his life. And he's more bothered about this woman's Goddamn silly hat.

It's so subtle. But you get the point: This wasn't a boxing match; it was about two lonely dysfunctional people who fell in love.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reed said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as "Forrest Gump beating Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption."

I liked Rocky. It had depth. It wasn't just a fun sports movie.

When you realize at the end Rocky doesn't give a shit about the result and only wanted to prove something to himself and Adrian.

"Where's your hat?"

He's just lost the biggest match of his life. And he's more bothered about this woman's Goddamn silly hat.

It's so subtle. But you get the point: This wasn't a boxing match; it was about two lonely dysfunctional people who fell in love.

He also spoke mostly about just wanting to go the distance as no one had ever gone the distance with Creed before, not about beating him, just about going the distance. And then he lost, it was just such great storytelling in my opinion.