DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

• 1 month later...

And every time I re-watch Downfall, it is like: "How did Bruno Ganz not even get nominated?"

To quote from someone: "It is like Hitler came back to life."

It's a great performance. Because Ganz doesn't humanize him. He compels and pushes you away at the same time.

OK, the "Fall of Berlin" is (youtube) famous, and an astonishing piece of acting, but it might be the more subtle moments that are the most terrific. Like, whenever Hitler is nice to the secretary or Eva Braun. In the hands of a lessor actor, this could have served to make the guy, eh, a little sympathetic. But with Ganz, you get it: Hitler is not being nice; he is simply pretending to be.

When the monster makes an attempt at politeness.   

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. And admittedly I did read that article, which is why I chimed in. But I'm my defence, this is a position I've held for a long time (which is why I never mentioned their other choices). I felt newly invigorated by their support.

I would guess that Rocky winning best picture that year was one of those things that looked inevitable at the time, but history (and sequels) have diminished it, whilst allowing it's opposition to look better and more prescient. Sort of like how when people look back on this year they'll think it's a travesty that La La Land beat Moonlight.

8 minutes ago, AxB said:

I would guess that Rocky winning best picture that year was one of those things that looked inevitable at the time, but history (and sequels) have diminished it, whilst allowing it's opposition to look better and more prescient. Sort of like how when people look back on this year they'll think it's a travesty that La La Land beat Moonlight.

See also How Green was my Valley beating Citizen Kane. 

5 hours ago, AxB said:

If the academy had any clue about the career Stallone would have(he was an unknown at the time), there is no way in hell Rocky wins....

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Network is more prescient now than ever so yeah, "staying power" is the exact opposite of the right term.

Well no you are wrong on that. It makes it an interesting footnote, bit does not add to it as a great movie. 

By even 1987, the premise looks almost quaint. Its hard to look at it in a modern context and wonder what the big deal is. Death Race 2000 has more relevancy to the modern media landscape. 

That is why it feels like you had to be there. I'm not saying it as an insult. Its not the directors fault society fell off a cliff.

Just now, Kuetsar said:

If the academy had any clue about the career Stallone would have(he was an unknown at the time), there is no way in hell Rocky wins....

The Academy are pretentious asses. Seems like the Oscars were more relevant, when the studios were secretly running them.

4 hours ago, Victator said:

Well no you are wrong on that. It makes it an interesting footnote, bit does not add to it as a great movie. 

By even 1987, the premise looks almost quaint. Its hard to look at it in a modern context and wonder what the big deal is. Death Race 2000 has more relevancy to the modern media landscape. 

That is why it feels like you had to be there. I'm not saying it as an insult. Its not the directors fault society fell off a cliff.

And yet people do it all the time. Anyway, on top of some all-time great performances, it's a pretty good satire of living under neoliberalism (before that term had found its contemporary meaning), even if Paddy Chayefsky's misogyny is a bit unappetizing. .

Also, I could watch that Ned Beatty monologue every day.

How Green Was My Valley is actually a really good movie. It shouldn't have won the Oscar, but it's really good.

If I had a vote for the class of 76, it would be Taxi Driver, but I have no problem with Rocky winning. It's a fantastic movie, and I think it's somehow become underrated. It's not Rocky's fault the competition was so otherworldly great that year.

• Like 2

Today I heard that in his lifetime, Robert Mitchum only had 1 nomination, and that was for The Story of G.I. Joe.

How is that even possible?

Oh and to go back a few pages, yes both Tron and Tron: Legacy each had at least one snub.