DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

I was listening to some old Opie and Anthon episodes with Patrice O'Neal right around the time TDK came out. They compared Maggie to Margot Kidder in the Donner Superman movies. It doesn't make sense for anyone to fight over her.

Come on. She's perfectly decent-looking. Is she a model? No. Exceptionally pretty? Maybe not. But she's hardly some monster beast who can't leave the house without a mob of torch-wielding village folk swarming her and yelling "Kill it, kill it with fire!" Sure, two guys could be interested in her at the same time. It's not a stretch.

Besides, the idea is that Bruce Wayne could have dated a model. He could have any woman he wanted. But he likes her because she's smart and cares about justice and all that.

Plus she's a life-long friend. Bruce doesn't have many friends period, let alone many that close.

People always forget that point.  Rachel represented a link to when Bruce was happy, and she worked 18-hour days with Harvey.  A childhood friend and a co-worker being interested in a woman, even if she's not the most beautiful creature?  Hardly a stretch.

And personally--when dolled up, Maggie G ain't bad looking.  Her Agent Provacateur photo shoot was pretty hot. I'd take her over Katie Holmes.

Nothing, and I mean, nothing, spoils suspension of disbelief than when Jessica Alba or Denise Richards come on-screen and we're told that they're "The Head of Genetic Research" for some billion-dollar company. 

Posted Image

....Go on.

• Like 1

I was listening to some old Opie and Anthon episodes with Patrice O'Neal right around the time TDK came out. They compared Maggie to Margot Kidder in the Donner Superman movies. It doesn't make sense for anyone to fight over her.

Come on. She's perfectly decent-looking. Is she a model? No. Exceptionally pretty? Maybe not. But she's hardly some monster beast who can't leave the house without a mob of torch-wielding village folk swarming her and yelling "Kill it, kill it with fire!" Sure, two guys could be interested in her at the same time. It's not a stretch.

Besides, the idea is that Bruce Wayne could have dated a model. He could have any woman he wanted. But he likes her because she's smart and cares about justice and all that.

Plus she's a life-long friend. Bruce doesn't have many friends period, let alone many that close.

People always forget that point.  Rachel represented a link to when Bruce was happy, and she worked 18-hour days with Harvey.  A childhood friend and a co-worker being interested in a woman, even if she's not the most beautiful creature?  Hardly a stretch.

And personally--when dolled up, Maggie G ain't bad looking.  Her Agent Provacateur photo shoot was pretty hot. I'd take her over Katie Holmes.

This.  One of the biggest crushes I've ever had was with someone that alot of guys would pass on at first glance.  But I saw her everyday, and anyone else that did also had a thing for her.  It happens.

I've always felt there was an agenda against Pixar. Wonderful voice acting, great story telling, pretty visuals, and good music. The moral of the story are always clearly laid out and there's always happy ending. I would take movies like Up, Finding Nemo, and even Ratatouille over at lot moves.  Tho there has been some stinkers and Randy Newman needs to go away forever.

And I always feel that there is a bias to give them Animated Feature Oscar more than they deserve. The worst being when Persepolis lost to Ratatouille. Not that Ratatouille isn't an enjoyable film, but Persepolis is one of the most powerful (touching, rageful, crying, funny) films (and comics...) I've ever seen.

Man, Ratatouille vs. Persepolis is an impossible choice.  One is a perfectly made, technically amazing film that tells a very fun story.  The other is a rougher piece, but that tells an amazingly powerful story.  I don't really see how to judge between them, because they are so many worlds a part on what they are and what they try to do.

I thought Kathy Bates gave a stronger performance in Dolores Claiborne than she did in Misery but then again she's probably my favorite actress.

I would agree with this.  Misery is the flashier role and one that she could almost play in her sleep, but Dolores Claiborne required more nuance and Bates was fantastic.

I thought Kathy Bates gave a stronger performance in Dolores Claiborne than she did in Misery but then again she's probably my favorite actress.

I would agree with this.  Misery is the flashier role and one that she could almost play in her sleep, but Dolores Claiborne required more nuance and Bates was fantastic.

I agree with this. It's a much more well-rounded performance.

On the subject of King movies, I think Freeman should have won for The Shawshank Redemption.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd have nominated Heather Donahue for The Blair Witch Project, too. Dear God, she gets so utterly hysterical and sadly depressing to watch towards the end.

Everyone focuses on the famous "apology" scene, but honestly, the saddest scene in it is when she finds Josh's remains. 

The shock, guilt and absolute horror she feels is still powerful to watch. This once confident, bossy, slightly annoying woman (maybe like some of these super-pretentious college student filmmakers we all know) has now been reduced to an emotional wreck. It's devastating. 

Also: Jacob Tremblay should have won Best Actor for Room.  

Michelle Yeoh for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

On 14 October 2013 at 5:56 AM, jaedmc said:

Ellen Burstyn losing to Julia Roberts.

The entire 2009/82nd Annual Academy Awards is balls. It's not just the winners, it's the pool of movies nominated. Wretched year.

I like Django, but it shouldn't have won best screenplay.

On 14 October 2013 at 7:20 PM, Ligerbusa said:

An obvious one.

The Dark Knight not getting a best picture nom.

On 15 October 2013 at 1:06 AM, Super Ape said:

Let's be honest; the only reason Heath Ledger even got a nod for Best Supporting Actor, much less the win, is because he died.  That's not an indictment of his acting skill, but an indictment of how out of touch/pretentious the Academy is with their decisions.  I used to have "watch a movie before it gets picked for Best Picture" on my bucket list, but scratched that off once I saw how stuck up its own ass the Academy was for picking stuff like Hurt Locker and fuckin' The Artist and decided it didn't matter.

These times three.

• Like 1

I thought I submitted mine but turns out I didn't till now:

The Dark Knight (2008) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations. The rightful backlash meant the Best Picture category was expanded. Terrible snub.

The Dark Knight (2008), WALL-E (2008) and Gran Torino (2008) should have received Best Picture nominations in 2009.

No Best Actor/Best Director nominations for Gran Torino (2008).

Let the Right One In (2008), no Foriegn Language Film nod.

As, @jaedmc rightly says, the Oscars really fucked up big time that year.

Christian Bale as Best Actor for American Psycho (2000). Bale's best performance.

Memento (2000) missing out on Best Picture and Best Director nominations.

The Shawshank Redemption should have won Best Picture in 1994 over Forrest Gump which won said award. After Shawshank, Pulp Fiction.

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012).

Sam fucking Smith winning Best Original Song for "Writing's on the Wall" in Spectre (2015).

Javier Bardem missing out for Skyfall (2012).

The Lego Movie (2014) wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature.

Gone Baby Gone deserved a Best Picture nomination in 2007.

Clint Eastwood missing out on the Academy Award for Best Actor in Unforgiven (2002).

Heath Ledger should have won Best Actor for his performance in Brokeback Mountain (2005) over Phillip Seymour Hoffman’s who won for Capote (2005).

Crash beating Brokeback Mountain for Best Picture in 2005.

Ellen Burstyn should have won Best Actress for Requiem for a Dream (2000). Julia Roberts won for Erin Brockovich.

R Lee Ermey for Full Metal Jacket (1987).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Ben Affleck not making the Best Director nominees for Argo (2012).

I'll never forget when the reason for that snub (eventually) came out:

"Well, the academy still hadn't forgiven him for all the silly Jennifer Lopez tabloid bullshit a few years ago. They thought it was embarrassing to them."

But Roman frigging Polanksi can win. OK, then. 

• Like 2