DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

Oh, I forgot my original reason for posting here:

Biggest Oscar Mistake:  Don Ameche for Cocoon.

I have all the respect in the world for Ameche, he was a great actor for decades.  But seriously, he does NOTHING in that movie.  The entire film could have been made without him and nothing would have changed.  He's just an old happy guy.  Like the rest of the cast.  But he got an Oscar.

Jack Lemmon didn't get nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross. Nobody did, not for Screenplay or any of the other actors.......except Pacino!!! Because sometimes he talks quiet and then other times he exclaims loudly!!

Jack Lemmon didn't get nominated for Glengarry Glen Ross. Nobody did, not for Screenplay or any of the other actors.......except Pacino!!! Because sometimes he talks quiet and then other times he exclaims loudly!!

Somone should do a comparison of acting styles between Pacino and Christopher Walken. I think they are a hell of alot closer in cadence and tone than most people notice.

And that adds an extra dimension to the awesomeness of Glengarry Glen Ross.  The NAME in the movie and real life gets all the credit despite literally doing the least amount of work.  The real actor both in the film and real life only gets it after the fact.

And to add to a previous post, Glengarry Glen Ross is also one of the greatest movies ever made. You want to see how the work force is and may someday be for more of us, that is it.

• Like 1

Wasn't Taxi Driver that year?

On a sidenote, to show you the mindset of the Oscars, Beatrice Straight won Best Supporting Actress also for Network.  She was in one scene that lasted five minutes.  It was probably shot in an afternoon.  Apparently, that was enough.

She was amazing in that five minutes though:

It wasn't really a snub, but Lawrence Fishburne should've gotten an Oscar for What's Love Got To Do With It.  Unfortunately, he was up against Tom Hanks(Philadelphia), Daniel Day Lewis(In the Name of the Father). and Liam Neeson(Schindler's List).

I like Unforgiven but the 1993 sweep still baffles me. 

Unforgiven was not better than The Crying Game or Howard's End and Spike Lee should've gotten a Best Director nom for Malcom X and Spike would've either lost to Robert Altman for The Player or to Neil Jordan for The Crying Game..

Jaye Davidson should've won Best Supporting Actor that year, too.

I think that Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan was a pretty big snub.

y

I don't know. I think Shakespeare In Love is all in all a better overall movie than Ryan.

How many people still talk about SiL?  Since the movie got all the hub hub of their award season you almost never see it on TV and it's not exactly a movie people say is a must have for their Blu Ray collection.  While you can't go a Memorial Day weekend without one of the cable channels re-airing SPR.

think ABC has exclusive rights to Shakespeare in Love.

I think that Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan was a pretty big snub.

y

I don't know. I think Shakespeare In Love is all in all a better overall movie than Ryan.

How many people still talk about SiL?  Since the movie got all the hub hub of their award season you almost never see it on TV and it's not exactly a movie people say is a must have for their Blu Ray collection.  While you can't go a Memorial Day weekend without one of the cable channels re-airing SPR.

Saving Private Ryan is an ass kicking gory action war movie disguised as a heart wrenching drama, that pretty much saved the FPS genre for consoles. Of course it's going to get way more air time than a inaccurate romantic comedy about William Shakaspear.

Gwyneth Paltrow beating Cate Blanchett (Elizabeth) and Emily Watson (Hillary and Jackie) for Best Actress was pretty bad.

She's been OKish a few things (Iron Man, Se7en) but the woman pretty obviously has a limited range and isn't anything close to Oscar-calibre.

For all the crap Marisa Tomei gets, at least she was good in the film she won for. Paltrow is laughably wooden at points in Shakespeare in Love.

I've always felt there was an agenda against Pixar. Wonderful voice acting, great story telling, pretty visuals, and good music. The moral of the story are always clearly laid out and there's always happy ending. I would take movies like Up, Finding Nemo, and even Ratatouille over at lot moves.  Tho there has been some stinkers and Randy Newman needs to go away forever.

And The Dark Knight.. Yeah, only Heath Ledger deserved any praise. What the fuck were they thinking casting what's her face to be the lead female? Her face was so mind numbingly distracting and not good to look at all. Then there's the issue of Batman's voice. Someone get him some pseudoephedrine.

Eh, I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal was a big improvement over Katie Holmes, personally. At least she could say "I'm an Assistant DA!" with a straight face.

Bale's Batman voice always made me think of Marge Simpson's sisters.

I was listening to some old Opie and Anthony episodes with Patrice O'Neal right around the time TDK came out. They compared Maggie to Margot Kidder in the Donner Superman movies. It doesn't make sense for anyone to fight over her.

I was listening to some old Opie and Anthon episodes with Patrice O'Neal right around the time TDK came out. They compared Maggie to Margot Kidder in the Donner Superman movies. It doesn't make sense for anyone to fight over her.

Come on. She's perfectly decent-looking. Is she a model? No. Exceptionally pretty? Maybe not. But she's hardly some monster beast who can't leave the house without a mob of torch-wielding village folk swarming her and yelling "Kill it, kill it with fire!" Sure, two guys could be interested in her at the same time. It's not a stretch.

Besides, the idea is that Bruce Wayne could have dated a model. He could have any woman he wanted. But he likes her because she's smart and cares about justice and all that.

I was listening to some old Opie and Anthon episodes with Patrice O'Neal right around the time TDK came out. They compared Maggie to Margot Kidder in the Donner Superman movies. It doesn't make sense for anyone to fight over her.

Come on. She's perfectly decent-looking. Is she a model? No. Exceptionally pretty? Maybe not. But she's hardly some monster beast who can't leave the house without a mob of torch-wielding village folk swarming her and yelling "Kill it, kill it with fire!" Sure, two guys could be interested in her at the same time. It's not a stretch.

Besides, the idea is that Bruce Wayne could have dated a model. He could have any woman he wanted. But he likes her because she's smart and cares about justice and all that.

Plus she's a life-long friend. Bruce doesn't have many friends period, let alone many that close.

Personally, one thing I liked about The Dark Knight is that it avoided the whole "super-hot love interest doing some absurdly high-profile job" thing. Gyllenhaal actually looks like you'd think a young, professional lawyer would look like.

Nothing, and I mean, nothing, spoils suspension of disbelief than when Jessica Alba or Denise Richards come on-screen and we're told that they're "The Head of Genetic Research" for some billion-dollar company.