DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

An obvious one.

The Dark Knight not getting a best picture nom.

Let's be honest; the only reason Heath Ledger even got a nod for Best Supporting Actor, much less the win, is because he died.  That's not an indictment of his acting skill, but an indictment of how out of touch/pretentious the Academy is with their decisions.  I used to have "watch a movie before it gets picked for Best Picture" on my bucket list, but scratched that off once I saw how stuck up its own ass the Academy was for picking stuff like Hurt Locker and fuckin' The Artist and decided it didn't matter.

• Like 2

I know Goodfellas was already mentioned but it's the worst snub ever. It's a near-perfect film.

Well...its the first movie I tend to go to whenever there's a discussion along the lines of "movies everyone loves that you hate"...

Readers Digest version I think Liotta is fucking horrible in it and its the beginning of DeNiro sleep-walking through gangster roles...

The fact that TRON was snubbed for an effects Oscar still amazes me, the fact they said that using computers was "Cheating" just shows how out of touch the Academy was with actual advances in cinema tech.

James

Especially since a lot of it wasn't done by computers but was actually hand drawn onto the frames.

Also, I'm still chuffed that Daft Punk wasn't nominated for the score of Legacy.

An obvious one.The Dark Knight not getting a best picture nom.

Let's be honest; the only reason Heath Ledger even got a nod for Best Supporting Actor, much less the win, is because he died. That's not an indictment of his acting skill, but an indictment of how out of touch/pretentious the Academy is with their decisions. I used to have "watch a movie before it gets picked for Best Picture" on my bucket list, but scratched that off once I saw how stuck up its own ass the Academy was for picking stuff like Hurt Locker and fuckin' The Artist and decided it didn't matter.
The Hurt Locker was a fucking great movie...
  • Like 2

IMO, the Academy jumped the shark as soon as it finally gave Kate Winslet the Oscar for her role in The Reader.

Basically paying off that famous joke from when she starred in Extras and told Ricky Gervais you had to be a holocaust movie if you wanted to win an Oscar:

I don't think movies like The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker or The Artist are bad (well, maybe The Artist), but, come on, are people going to be talking about them in 20 years? Of course not. They'll be discussing the character development of Walter White or Tony Soprano not the story of the monarch who finally got over his speech impediement (and inspirated a nation!) or the silent film guy. 

• Like 1

I don't think movies like The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker or The Artist are bad (well, maybe The Artist), but, come on, are people going to be talking about them in 20 years? Of course not. They'll be discussing the character development of Walter White or Tony Soprano not the story of the monarch who finally got over his speech impediement (and inspirated a nation!) or the silent film guy. 

The Hurt Locker is a much better movie than those two pieces of crap.

I think the worst Oscar-winning movie I've ever seen was that boring snoozefest Chariots of Fire. Which movie did it go up against? RAIDERS OF THE LOST F'N ARK!!

I'm also still pissed off about Around The World in Eighty Days winning in 1957.

OK, maybe Hurt Locker was a bad example, but that doesn't excuse the Academy from all their other bad decisions.

I used to agree with George C. Scott, God rest his soul, that the only film award worth a damn is the New York Film Critics' Award, but apparently they're just as stuck up their own asses as of late.

Come on, film critics. Don't make me count on the fucking People's Choice Awards.

I always thought The Blair Witch Project was massively snubbed when it came to major awards. I think it suffered too much from being seen as some low budget B movie, to the point people overlooked how very well done it really was.

I mean, it should have gotten nominated for an Oscar for its writing.

For it's writing??? It's WRITING???  For fuck's sake, the only memorable writing in it was stolen part and parcel from a dead friend of mine.(Gone 19 years as of yesterday). An award? Hell, the film's producers should've been sued for plagiarism. May I suggest a reading of Karl Edward Wagner's "Sticks" before further praise is lavished on this meretricious, unoriginal piece of shit.

IIRC, the makers of BLAIR WITCH were successfully sued by the makers of a movie called THE LAST BROADCAST, which is the opposite of BLAIR WITCH in that it's a decent movie with an incredibly awful ending, instead of a boring-as-fuck movie with an awesome ending.

I may be one of five people who liked BLAIR WITCH 2 more than the original.

I always thought The Blair Witch Project was massively snubbed when it came to major awards. I think it suffered too much from being seen as some low budget B movie, to the point people overlooked how very well done it really was.

For it's writing??? It's WRITING???  For fuck's sake, the only memorable writing in it was stolen part and parcel from a dead friend of mine.(Gone 19 years as of yesterday). An award? Hell, the film's producers should've been sued for plagiarism. May I suggest a reading of Karl Edward Wagner's "Sticks" before further praise is lavished on this meretricious, unoriginal piece of shit.

IIRC, the makers of BLAIR WITCH were successfully sued by the makers of a movie called THE LAST BROADCAST, which is the opposite of BLAIR WITCH in that it's a decent movie with an incredibly awful ending, instead of a boring-as-fuck movie with an awesome ending.

I think they tried to sue, but never got anywhere.

RE: Sticks. Reading up on it, I can see the similarities (getting lost in the woods, stick figures, haunted house), not sure I'd flat out call it plagarism. The stories go in pretty different directions. Also, what happens in Sticks is obviously scif/supernatural. The Blair Witch Project keeps the question of just what's after them open. 

Always felt that WALL E should have gotten a picture nod.

I thought WALL E sucked. Just...ugh.
Huh? Legitimately baffled here.

I'll be honest here - I can't articulate why I hated it as it's been too long since I've seen it.  I just remember being baffled that anybody liked it at all.

The Hurt Locker was a fucking great movie...

I agree.  Is it in my all-time top 10?  No.  Is it one of the best "best pictures" of all-time?  No.  But it was really, really good.

I think they tried to sue, but never got anywhere.

Looking further into it, you are correct.

As for WALL E, I'm kinda with Tabe. I really liked it upon seeing it in theaters, even though I was more than a little bored by the beginning, but every time I've seen it since, I like it less and less.

Wall-E was pretty good for about 20 minutes. I'd say it's a solid movie but I don't find it nearly as special as other Pixar movies. Once it got to the ship I felt like I was just waiting for it to reslve itself.