DVDVR Message Board

Oscar Snubs and other Academy Mistakes

RonL21

Actors or films that didn't get nominated and films that were overrated.

Always felt that WALL E should have gotten a picture nod.

Leonardo DiCaprio should have gotten nominated for his role in Django

Crash might be the most overrated Best Picture winner I've seen

• Like 3

I don't know. AMERICAN BEAUTY is right there.
I haven't seen American Beauty. I guess it would be worth a look-see. Right?

Depends.

Are you:

1) A film student in your freshman year?

2) A 17-year-old with a poetic soul who thinks your parents are big phonies?

3) anyone else?

If you answered 1 or 2, then dude, you need to see it like immediately.

• Like 1

My vote is for The Searchers. It was not nominated any major Academy Awards. It should have won Best Picture, Director (John Ford), Actor (John Wayne) and Cinematography (Winton Hoch). The Bridge on the River Kwai swept all of those.

While I'm talking about John Ford films, the same can be said for Fort Apache. I'm not going to say it should have won, but nominations should have been had for Picture, Director, Actor (Wayne and Henry Fonda). Hell, maybe even Shirley Temple for Supporting Actress, but its been awhile since I've watched so I can't remember the particulars of her performance beyond her being pretty cute. Her adult roles never really get any recognition.

For that matter, it is ridiculous that they never threw Ward Bond a Supporting Actor nom at any point in his career.

• Like 1

Ellen Burstyn losing to Julia Roberts.

The entire 2009/82nd Annual Academy Awards is balls. It's not just the winners, it's the pool of movies nominated. Wretched year.

I like Django, but it shouldn't have won best screenplay. 

• Like 1

Pulp Fiction losing to Gump remains absurd and indefensible.

Shawshank too. Hell, Quiz Show is a better choice as well.Fuck Gump.
Shawshank winning would have been pretty much just as absurd. It's a good movie, but that's as far as it goes.
  • Like 1

Naomi Watts not even getting nominated for Mulholland Drive really rubbed me raw. There have been few times in my life when I've watched a movie in the theater, and said "well that person is a shoe-in for a nomination" and then it just didn't happen. I think they realized they messed up and nominated her a couple years later for 21 Grams.

2001: A Space Odyssey did not get nominated for Best Picture. Oliver! won. Oliver! I think Rachel, Rachel is an incredible movie. But fucking 2001 didn't even get nominated.

I realllllly wanted Robert Forster to win for Jackie Brown. It was great that he got recognized for his work at all, but Max Cherry is just perfection. 

M. Emmett Walsh was one of the all time great sleaze bags in Blood Simple but that movie got roundly ignored.

Dennis Hopper not getting nominated for Blue Velvet is disappointing. 

Malcolm MacDowell not getting anything for A Clockwork Orange is disappointing.

On a more unrealistic front, John Carpenter never getting nominated for Best Score is crazy to me, as the scores from Escape from New York, The Fog, Halloween 1-3, Christine, Assault on Precinct 13 etc. are amongst my favorite movie scores ever. And it's very disappointing that he's never really gotten tons of credit for providing so much additional atmosphere to his movies. 

Max Cherry is just perfection. 

Im not sure how he compares to everything else that was nominated that year, but Max Cherry is one of the few times ive watched a movie and been totally sucked into believeing a character was actually a real person. As in, I had no idea who he was when I first saw Jackie Brown (I was 14) and afterwards I legitimately thought he was a bail bondsman or parole officer that had turned to acting.

That whole movie is just fantastic though.On topic - It bugs me that Pacino won for Scent of a Woman. Even more so that it was seemingly done as a 'lifetime achievement' award. I like the movie enough but he hardly screams "Best Actor" at me in this, despite screaming everything else.

I don't know. AMERICAN BEAUTY is right there.
I haven't seen American Beauty. I guess it would be worth a look-see. Right?

Depends.

Are you:

1) A film student in your freshman year?

2) A 17-year-old with a poetic soul who thinks your parents are big phonies?

3) anyone else?

If you answered 1 or 2, then dude, you need to see it like immediately.

Kevin Spacey's description of his job is my mission statement in life. 

Dances with Wolves is by the most overrated Best Picture winner, especially when it as up against the far superior Goodfellas!

As much as I think Pulp Fiction should have won, Gump is at least a watchable movie. You want someone to give up watching movies, I say you make them watch dances with Wolves!

James

Ray Liotta should have at least been nominated for Goodfellas. Pesci got all the attention, but the more you re-watch it, you realize how good Liotta was.

Courtney Love not getting nominated for The People vs. Larry Flynt.

Bill Murray not winning for Lost in Translation.

Javier Bardem not getting nominated for Skyfall. He definetely got screwed over because of "James Bond" tag.

Mickey Rourke not getting nominated for Sin City.

• Like 1

I fucking hate Forrest Gump so much. It's a bad movie that goes on and on and on and sends about the worst message ever. Slow guy gets picked on a ton, mom has to fuck her way to getting her son into a normal school, Forrest then does a bunch of wacky stuff and joins the military, he continuously embarrasses himself, he doesn't let Lt. Dan die, then there's everything with Jenny and she doesn't love Forrest until she's dying of AIDS and instead of spending her life with Forrest and having a good life, she leaves Forrest with a kid in the last and best example of using someone. Forrest Gump is the most fucked up interpretation of the Giving Tree that I've ever seen. Fuck that movie. It's shittyness is only amplified by the fact that it beat out EVERYTHING ELSE for Best Picture. There could have been a Toxic Avenger movie that year and it would have been as much of a shame to see Forrest Gump win over that. I don't hate much in this world, but I fucking hate Forrest Gump.

Also, Bill Murray, or at the very least, Johnny Depp, should have won best actor.

• Like 3

I fucking hate Forrest Gump so much. It's a bad movie that goes on and on and on and sends about the worst message ever. Slow guy gets picked on a ton, mom has to fuck her way to getting her son into a normal school, Forrest then does a bunch of wacky stuff and joins the military, he continuously embarrasses himself, he doesn't let Lt. Dan die, then there's everything with Jenny and she doesn't love Forrest until she's dying of AIDS and instead of spending her life with Forrest and having a good life, she leaves Forrest with a kid in the last and best example of using someone. Forrest Gump is the most fucked up interpretation of the Giving Tree that I've ever seen. Fuck that movie. It's shittyness is only amplified by the fact that it beat out EVERYTHING ELSE for Best Picture. There could have been a Toxic Avenger movie that year and it would have been as much of a shame to see Forrest Gump win over that. I don't hate much in this world, but I fucking hate Forrest Gump.Also, Bill Murray, or at the very least, Johnny Depp, should have won best actor.

Have you ever read the book? It's...not good.

As much as I hated his Oscar bait phase after The Truman Show, Jim Carrey should have gotten nominated for Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind.

Will Smith had a long Oscar bait phase. Probably should have won for Ali. Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds did nothing for me. Good movies, though. Enemy of the State is still my favorite Will Smith movie