DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2019 - WEEK ONE

RIPPA

Brown doesn't want to play for the Raiders and is doing whatever it takes to get out of doing so.

What's crazy about that? 

They were famously dysfunctional even before they transparently went into Tank Until Vegas mode.

Who wants to put their body at risk for 16 games of Preseason Football?  THAT would be crazy.

The Raiders suspending Antonio Brown is like parents of an introvert trying to ground him.  "Oh you mean I have to stay in my room where all my books are and I won't have to talk to anybody?"

Yeah, whatever you do, don't throw Brer Rabbit into the briar patch.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

TO was the Muta Scale and now AB is going full crimson Body instead of just his face. 

He's on the Jun Kassai/Mass Transit scale at this point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyWhioux said:

Brown doesn't want to play for the Raiders and is doing whatever it takes to get out of doing so.

What's crazy about that? 

They were famously dysfunctional even before they transparently went into Tank Until Vegas mode.

Who wants to put their body at risk for 16 games of Preseason Football?  THAT would be crazy.

He accepted the trade(he could have refused like he did with Buffalo), then he signed a megabucks extension. Doesn't sound like a guy who doesn't want to be there. Not saying the Raiders are right in the way they handled this, but Brown and his mega Diva shit is wrong too.

Are we ready to talk about Mitchell Tribusky as a bust?  I honestly thought he was Blake Bortles level last night.  Allen Robinson is a stud receiver, and bailed him out a couple of times.  Taylor Gabriel, who is 5 foot 7, was put into multiple jump ball situations.  The plays they ran were the kind of plays you run when you try to trick your opponent and not beat your opponent.  Like they hope that they break the coverage so he doesn't have to make a tough throw.  The worst part is that it seemed like they broke the coverage a couple times and he didn't even see it.  Sorry, but that dude kind of sucks.  

Just now, supremebve said:

Are we ready to talk about Mitchell Tribusky as a bust?  I honestly thought he was Blake Bortles level last night.  Allen Robinson is a stud receiver, and bailed him out a couple of times.  Taylor Gabriel, who is 5 foot 7, was put into multiple jump ball situations.  The plays they ran were the kind of plays you run when you try to trick your opponent and not beat your opponent.  Like they hope that they break the coverage so he doesn't have to make a tough throw.  The worst part is that it seemed like they broke the coverage a couple times and he didn't even see it.  Sorry, but that dude kind of sucks.  

Both defenses were playing well. Also, Jesus Christ, it's the first game of the season and he was largely fine last year.

I mean, Aaron Jones did fuck all yesterday. So did Davante Adams. And David Montgomery got 6 carries and did nothing with any of them.

Does this also mean they all suck? No. It means they all ran into good playing defenses in, again, the first game of the season. 

Trubisky's not a bust, but he's not that great either.

I'm not even counting last night, because it's week one and PAckers Defense was tough, but all of last season he would make weird fucked up decisions or terrible throws, and get bailed out by flags. I don't think he reads the field well - as he has a history of missing wide open guys. He also misjudges the angle of his throw and will miss guys by a wiiiiide margin. We were winning so no one really cared. 

But he also has had some incredible drives and a couple of legit GREAT games under his belt already. 

So it's less that he's a bust and more that he's just inconsistent. That drive last night that ended in an endzone interception was great until it wasn't. And Amos, who was on our team last year, said he recognized the play immediately and knew where it was going. Is that on Mitch? He's running the play they called.

Nagy concerns me waaaaay more than Trubisky does. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Both defenses were playing well. Also, Jesus Christ, it's the first game of the season and he was largely fine last year.

I mean, Aaron Jones did fuck all yesterday. So did Davante Adams. And David Montgomery got 6 carries and did nothing with any of them.

Does this also mean they all suck? No. It means they all ran into good playing defenses in, again, the first game of the season. 

I thought he was terrible when I watched him last year, so this isn't a game one thing with me.  Second, the mistakes I pointed out weren't forced mistakes.  He threw two different back shoulder throws to Allen Robinson, when Robinson was well past his defender.  He had to basically fight his way back to get a ball that should have been picked because the quarterback threw it in a place where the defender had a better angle to the ball than the receiver.  Throwing jump balls to a 5'7" receiver is just a bad decision. 

The thing that really makes me think he's subpar is that they have skill position talent that can get open, but they did a lot of trickery to get them even more open.  It's not something you do when you trust your quarterback...especially when it isn't working.  Sometime you just have to line up and trust your guys.  With that said, that is just as much bad coaching as it is bad quarterbacking.  The started off the game with a gadget play that was almost a disaster.  Here is a secret of football,  nobody is smarter than everyone.  If your scheme is dependent on everyone else getting confused by your brilliance you have a terrible scheme.  Nobody is that smart, and even if they were, nobody is going to be fooled by it twice.  At some point you have to line up and play it straight and I don't know if Mitchell Tribusky is good enough to do that consistently.  

I just got an alert saying that Jon Gruden says Antonio Brown will play on Monday.

To follow up - apparently Brown gave an "emotional apology" to the team at a team meeting which is most likely what swayed Gruden into not suspending him

And Mike Mayock should still quit now

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

We can debate the meaningfulness of the metric, but Trubisky finished last year third in ESPN's Total QBR rating.

Mitchell Trubisky reminds me of another NFC North quarterback, Kirk Cousins.  Sure, the numbers say he's pretty good, but I don't see it at all when I'm watching them.  There is a hard ass ceiling on your team if one of those dudes is your quarterback.

I like how you think it's all Trubisky's fault and Nagy didn't call a bunch of garbage plays for nearly every series.

Ultimately, the HC matters. Like, is Goff the same player if they have a different HC? Of course not.

37 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To follow up - apparently Brown gave an "emotional apology" to the team at a team meeting which is most likely what swayed Gruden into not suspending him

And Mike Mayock should still quit now

There’s 30 million reasons Brown’s not suspended and this ain’t one of them, though I appreciate the attempt at Kayfabe from the Raiders

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I like how you think it's all Trubisky's fault and Nagy didn't call a bunch of garbage plays for nearly every series.

Ultimately, the HC matters. Like, is Goff the same player if they have a different HC? Of course not.

You clearly missed the entire part where I said that exact thing. 

The Rams, Chiefs, 49ers, all have "innovative" offenses, but for the most part they are almost completely devoid of trickery.  The entire rams offense is pretty much ran from the same exact 3 receiver, 1 running back, 1 tight end set.  They try to fool you by not trying to fool you.  Everything they do kind of works together.  One of the best things they do is move their offense laterally to create vertical lanes for their running backs.  Instead of pulling a guard or a tackle, the entire offensive line will pretty much crash to one side and their receivers will set the edge.  In the passing game they'll do the same action, and defenders actually move away from their receivers to avoid being blocked before they realize that their is a receiver running free down the field.  They show the same things over and over again so you can't just assume what they are doing.  You actually need your defense to read and react to everything they do in real time, which gives the offense an advantage.  If the defense is good enough, like the Patriots in the Super Bowl, it can still be stopped.  

I really need to find someone to pay me to write my quarterback tiers, because Dak is someone I think is good...enough.  Honestly, I think that Dak is on the right team for his skill set.  Zeke is what makes that team go, and Dak is good enough to make a play when they need it without fucking it up.  He takes too many sacks, but he's safe with the ball, consistently gets the ball to his playmakers, and is good enough that you don't hold your breath when he has to make a play.  He's going to end up getting paid more than he's worth, but I live by a simple motto..."get your money and get out the game."

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Bears fans who aren’t meatballs know games like last night wasn’t on Trubisky and it’s on Nagy. 

Let’s ignore him should having a 4th quarter playoff comeback victory with a 300 yard no interception playoff debut if Cody Parkey didn’t jack up that kick. 

He is nowhere near a bust. He is a talented, inconsistent guy who played one year in college who could have fucking used some preseason snaps. FFS Nagy. 

Last night and the gimmicky start, abandoning an effective David Montgomery for long stretches, and some of the other horseshit on offense was down to Nagy (or Shaheen playing weak, etc.). Nagy doesn’t do gimmicky shit because Trubisky can’t play. He does it because he has BE YOU typed in huge font on both sides of his sheet.  I like Nagy a lot actually, but some coaches need to be humbled about how some aspects of football work. There are times you just need to do simple effective shit. I am glad it came in week one. 

1 minute ago, The Magnificent 7 said:

Bears fans who aren’t meatballs know games like last night wasn’t on Trubisky and it’s on Nagy. 

Let’s ignore him should having a 4th quarter playoff comeback victory with a 300 yard no interception playoff debut if Cody Parkey didn’t jack up that kick. 

He is nowhere near a bust. He is a talented, inconsistent guy who played one year in college who could have fucking used some preseason snaps. FFS Nagy. 

Last night and the gimmicky start, abandoning an effective David Montgomery for long stretches, and some of the other horseshit on offense was down to Nagy (or Shaheen playing weak, etc.). Nagy doesn’t do gimmicky shit because Trubisky can’t play. He does it because he has BE YOU typed in huge font on both sides of his sheet.  I like Nagy a lot actually, but some coaches need to be humbled about how some aspects of football work. There are times you just need to do simple effective shit. I am glad it came in week one. 

I'm not a Bears fan, so I've only seen him play a few times and let me tell you, I'm not impressed.  Maybe he's better than I've seen, but as of now he's looking bustier than Sofia Vegara.  

I agree with the Nagy criticisms though.  I remember when I was in high school we had a playbook that had like 150 plays.  It was fairly easy to learn because everything was grouped together in a way that made sense.  I-Right-Seattle-North was a off-tackle run from the Power I formation to the right.  I-Right-Seahawk-North was the same exact play, but it was a counter play where the line would block down to the left, and the left guard would pull right.  There was a Portland version that was a play-action pass, and an Oregon version that was a fullback dive.  There was basically a package for every team in the league.  The offense provided a bunch of different looks, but when we started to get too cute, we'd line up and run I-Right/Left-Seattle/Seahawk-North/South...because running off tackle works.  Nagy doesn't seem to have a Seattle/Seahawk.  He seemingly has no desire to line up and run plays that work because his guys beat his opponent's guys.  That is how football works.  At some point you're going to have to block and tackle to win.  

• Like 1

Guest The Magnificent 7

Good points. The Manning Colts might have had different formations and pre snap changes based on the defense showing blitz or something, but the concepts of the offense were simple and consistent. How many time did we see that stretch play that was either a run or a play action pass for two receivers running double outs at different depth levels he ran so effectively. 

You know your stuff so you get that the likelihood of success for something increases if every dude knows what they need to do and has done it a bunch of times versus that sick play you drew up and ran 8 weeks ago that one time in practice where Tarik Cohen made everyone look silly.