DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - The Rest of the Regular Season

RIPPA

Dodgers hit the 100 wins to mark the 2nd straight year there are three 100 win teams

There could be a record 4th team if either of the Braves or Twins win 4 more (they are both at 96. The Braves have 5 more games, the Twins have 6)

Heck the As could get there if they win out (they are at 94 with 6 to play)

The Cubs are fucking terrible. Just a complete embarrassment. They go on a huge tear, get their record the most over .500 it had been all season while putting up over 50 runs over 3 games, proceed to lose a series to the Reds, they lose 5 in a row overall by 1 run, and then the shitty Pirates steamrolled them last night. Since they're closing out their season on the road where they can't win, I wouldn't be shocked to see them lose the remaining 2 against the Pirates and 3 against the Cardinals and end the season with a 12 game losing streak.

This team is doing shit that hasn't been done since the 1910s and 1920s. 

There's going to be so much turnover this offseason that it's going to feel like a whole new team next year. I doubt Maddon signs again and I expect him to manage the Padres instead unless he takes a year off. I wouldn't even be surprised if Theo does his whole "taking a break from baseball" thing again.

• Like 1

I keep wanting to write them off and then they do manage to eek something out. I think the hole they've dug is a little too deep now though. It really was amazing to see their depth in 2015 with all of those young players in every position (many times 2 or 3 great young players/prospects per position) to now where it feels like they need to do something drastic in the winter to feel like a contender. 

I think if you look at the comments from the players and the diminishing returns each year after 2016 that it's clear that Joe and Theo were amazing at getting this team to the World Series and pretty bad at keeping the team competitive. Darvish has worked out better than I imagined and trading for Castellanos was an amazing move, but many other FA signings look like they're just flailing and making big moves. I mean, consider how much money they've paid Brandon Morrow and Craig Kimbrel to be closers, not to mention trading for Wade Davis. Of those, only Davis worked out, but still, with the amount of money spent on those players they could have easily extended Davis or beat the Yankees offer to Chapman, but Chapman may have been dead set on returning to the Yankees anyway.

Anyway, I think I'm finally just going to buy the 2016 WS blu-ray set, the one that has every single game of the WS over 8 discs.

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now watch the Cubs go on a tear and scramble into the wild card.

Just.

Watch.

Next season or this season? ?

Not that it should be a surprise, but Theo basically said his goodbyes to Maddon on the Score today so he's gone.

Girardi has a 10% chance of being manager. He just wouldn't be a fit with the FO. It's probably going to be Mark Loretta or David Ross.

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Not that it should be a surprise, but Theo basically said his goodbyes to Maddon on the Score today so he's gone.

Girardi has a 10% chance of being manager. He just wouldn't be a fit with the FO. It's probably going to be Mark Loretta or David Ross.

I'd love to see them take a chance on Hensley Meulens. 

BAM
BAM

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I'd love to see them take a chance on Hensley Meulens. 

BAM
BAM

One would assume he's a virtual lock to replace Bochy, no? I remember thinking he was probably the next guy up after hearing Sabean and Co. rave about the job he did with the NED team in the 2013 & 2017 WBC. 

Obviously, Sabean is not going to be in the same spot come this offseason, so he likely won't have an absolute say in the matter, but he's been in SFG for a good long time, and is well-regarded as ready to take over somewhere. I would figure he'll get an interview at least.  Didn't he interview for the NYY gig a couple years ago?

With their loss Thursday, the Tigers set an all-time record for home losses in a season (59).  They also set the record for worst home run differential (-221), breaking the 136-year old record set by the Philadelphia Quakers, who had a -215, albeit in only 49 games.