DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2019 - The Rest of the Regular Season

RIPPA

16 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Phil does not like the other baseball thread. 

I actually do and the only reason it is still open is so I don't have to keep closing threads after 48 hours

• Like 1

Fuck yeah, there aren't nearly enough lifetime .240 hitters in Cooperstown.

I kid, obviously. But that is one of the things I think is so cool about baseball is that a guy that plays only a handful of years in the Bigs and at a rather pedestrian level can be such an integral part of the game in a different facet and work his way into the HOF. No goddamn different that Lasorda in that manner, only Bochy made the Bigs and stuck, whereas Tommy had only a brief MLB career, but was a king at AAA.

Fuck him because he's a Giant, but he's a hell of a manager.

Edited by grilledcheese

Bochy is also Hall Of Fame worthy for his Rick Rude-level mustache in 1984, which you can see show up at the very end of this footage of Baseball's most infamous brawl (keep an eye out for #15 in brown)

• Like 3

It's weird seeing footage from that era look so pristine. Beautiful. You can really see how 1984 Joe Torre looks exactly like 2019 Joe Torre. Neat to see the best manager of two different stretches in the same brawl like that.

edit: holy shit, Ed Whitson in that clip shirtless and wild-eyed. Hilarious.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

It's weird seeing footage from that era look so pristine. Beautiful. You can really see how 1984 Joe Torre looks exactly like 2019 Joe Torre. Neat to see the best manager of two different stretches in the same brawl like that.

edit: holy shit, Ed Whitson in that clip shirtless and wild-eyed. Hilarious.

Whitson was ready for Wrestlemania I

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gerrit Cole becomes the 18th different pitcher (modern era) to throw 300 strikeouts in a season

Depending on how many more starts he gets this season - Justin Verlander could become the 19th (He is at 283 right now. His career high is 290 from last year)

Career-high is 15, done this year against MIL. He's sitting on a 12.0 K/9 currently, so if he gets two more, it's a pretty good shot that he'll do it. HOU has 11 left on the schedule and he goes on Sunday, so I figure he's going to get real fucking close even if he doesn't make 300.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Well apparently we found that one thing that the Cubs and Cardinals fan can agree in outrage and disgust.  Braun Strowman in the booth during a nationally televised game on FOX.  Jesus  that twitter shit storm

Even better is that it enraged Keith Olbermann for some reason who tweeted something (that he since deleted) that lead to all these WWE affiliated folks demanding an apology from him.

Guest The Magnificent 7

What was the outrage about?  The presence of the guy or the titles thing? If the first, they do this thing all the time with Hollywood actors. The Indy 500 had Christian Bale and Matt Damon on in the pre race flogging their new Ford GT movie and then waving the checkered flag.