DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I think it's perceived aspiration. The Kardashians are seen living in mansions, wearing designer clothes, traveling the world in private jets. It seems so carefree. Then take wrestling, with sweaty people giving the appearance of beating up each other while an unruly audience screams for more violence. It speaks to why more women in the 12-34 and 18-49 demos watch reality TV.

I agree with this but boxing/UFC don't have quite the same stigma.  They've both been dunked on many times but they are still able to maintain a certain level of respect in the mainstream media.  Maybe TV contracts are a part of that and because it's "real" but another thing is celebrities still show up to a big boxing event and treat it as the place to be on that evening.  

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know how much thought they put into anything my issue is why is there an ax to grind in the first place.  There's a lot of trashy,  low quality television and I'd argue wrestling in the last 10 years has cleaned up almost all of what folks thought was trashy...  It might be boring at times or nonsensical at times but it's not what it was and definitely not in comparison to what else is out there. 

"Not what it was" doesn't carry much weight. You get one chance to make an impression and that reputation can carry pretty far down the road. As much as Vince has struggled to clean up his product's image in the eyes of the mainstream, the last time wrestling had any real cultural significance it was definitely trash. If wrestling fans were perceived as having enough discretionary income to be worth fighting over, I'm sure the media would soften its view of the genre. But that's not the case, so it is what it is. 

I wouldn't waste much time on what mainstream media and cultural arbiters think about anything. They still cover and dissect SNL like it's still the '70s. That alone tells me how trapped in a bubble these people are. 

Re: Comparing wrestling to boxing/UFC, that's a fools errand and always will be. That real/fake divide isn't going anywhere in some people's minds. Even NASCAR is afforded more respect than wrestling simply on the basis of being real. That's a battle wrestling will never win. 

• Like 1

I don’t know about NASCAR. Last time I watched it most of the car sponsors were of products I’ve never heard, and there were only flies in the stands. I’ve seen more mainstream mentions of wrestling than I have of NASCAR in the past 8 years. Heck, F-1 racing has more buzz than NASCAR currently has.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Thanks 1

There are two different issues at hand. Y'all are talking in the broader sense

In a more specific to the example sense - sports announcers will always act better than the things they are promoting (especially if they don't understand it)

So you could replace wrestling with MMA or the Kardashians or Weird AL or Ninja etc.... and results will be the same.

God them talking about TV shows they don't watch alone is embarrassing (as anyone who has heard Joe Buck during the World Series can tell you)

But Networks will always think live reads are better than just commercials so here we are

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In a more specific to the example sense - sports announcers will always act better than the things they are promoting (especially if they don't understand it)

Jason Benetti told a great story a few weeks back about there being a read he's had all season that he's really wanted to make fun of. So when Mike Schur was brought in to call a White Sox game, Benetti made sure to have him do that read. 

That's how a pro handles their grievances with the copy they're given: Passive aggressively! 

They just showed a Fox promo with Terry Bradshaw (I honestly almost wrote Justin) calling Baker Mayfield and Tom Brady ‘The Man’ then showed Becky Lynch going “Guys, I’m right here!” followed by Bradshaw pointing at her and mouthing “The Man” which was a clever little promo only for for them to cut back to the game with an announcer who clearly had no idea what he was seeing saying “And there’s two men...and a lady.” Why wouldn’t they give the announcers a quick “We’re hyping the shit out of this, act like you know what it is!” memo?!

• Haha 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Jason Benetti told a great story a few weeks back about there being a read he's had all season that he's really wanted to make fun of. So when Mike Schur was brought in to call a White Sox game, Benetti made sure to have him do that read. 

That's how a pro handles their grievances with the copy they're given: Passive aggressively! 

So I announce roller derby, and one year a sponsor gave us palindromes to read as part of their ad copy since their name itself was a palindrome. I love palindromes. I think they are fantastic. But the sponsor gave us three basic palindromes to read (stuff like "too hot to hoot"), and I asked our sponsorship coordinator if the sponsor would be fine with me bringing my own palindromes to the copy, even giving a list of examples. One of the palindromes I submitted was 23 words long. ("Are we not pure? 'No sir!' Panama’s moody Noriega brags. 'It is garbage!' Irony dooms a man; a prisoner up to new era.", in case you're curious.)

"Stefanie, they like your enthusiasm, but asked that you stick to the copy the provided."

So I stuck to the copy and read each one in a monotone. Not one of my finer moments, admittedly.

41 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

"Are we not pure? 'No sir!' Panama’s moody Noriega brags. 'It is garbage!' Irony dooms a man; a prisoner up to new era."

This is a million times better than Too hot to hoot. 

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope so. The problem would still be New Japan's relationship with CMLL and AEW's with AAA.

New Japan isn't going to cozy up to a company that's partnered with CMLL's chief rival unless CMLL gives them a reason to.

5 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Actually, Lance teaming with old partner to become a bunch old Canadian assholes would be the perfect way to return.

"Become"?

13 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

"Become"?

Well... One half has only been portraying that. We haven’t seen heel Lance in his purest form in years. Him doing his Canadian robot thing again would be something cool in his veteran age.

Also if you want to create a heel stable with veteran heel Canadians as the mystery partners you got Lance, and Shawn Spears(Who people sometimes forget is a Canuck). It would make sense, and you’d have another trios team if the plan is to have trios belts.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm a bit late here, but in what world does the media NOT treat the Kardashians as trashy? It's pretty much the current definition of trashy guilty pleasure in mainstream entertainment.

Perhaps you missed Forbes incredulously listing Kylie Jenner as the world’s youngest “self-made” billionaire.  

https://www.google.ca/search?q=kylie+jenner+youngest+billionaire&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ca&client=safari#imgrc=lOzDfkPgtjujSM:

Theres also a huge amount of people who think Kim Kardashian is a feminist icon. Yes. Really.  

Edited by caley