DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Casey said:

JB Smoove can probably pull it off, but more often than not, celebrities on WWE television is super cringe worthy. Every time a celebrity is on one of the shows, or announced, I have flashbacks to Jeremy Piven in 2009.

So what are the best celebrity appearances on WWE tv?  

Just now, Eivion said:

I don't know honestly, I'd have to watch a playlist of a lot of them or something. Most of the time it comes off really forced and/or unnatural, which isn't surprising given they're in front of a potentially hostile crowd of thousands (which is why I think a comedian like JB Smoove might actually work, since he's worked in front of crowds, hostile or otherwise).

Bob Barker was pretty entertaining, from what I remember? But again, I'd have to watch it back. That was over a decade ago, right? I remember hating MGK being on my screen until Kevin Owens powerbombed him off the stage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Bob Barker was pretty entertaining, from what I remember? But again, I'd have to watch it back. That was over a decade ago, right? I remember hating MGK being on my screen until Kevin Owens powerbombed him off the stage.

56 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Federline?

Federline and Barker were the two I remember liking. I also liked Sheamus and Beaker being cousins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:

I'll have to see the Federline one again but I still remember having a group of friends (non-fans) over and they adored everything about Bob's involvement in the show.  When Jericho was doing his promo and as soon as he heard it Bob said "One!" had everybody in stitches.  That was just absolutely wonderful stuff.  Heck, I think I need to find time to watch that again.

• Like 1

Federline was the absolute best. That he didn’t give a shit at one point that he was a dirtbag, and that he was getting recognition for it helped a lot. So the writers had no trouble with just portraying him as a piece of shit, and didn’t have to write extra shit so he can promote a product he wanted to sell. He was the perfect storm of garbage. The Ball Family was the closest to this in recent times, but they still needed to get their ego’s stroked. Shame that there aren’t many of those around who are willing to be used like that.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Boy...That Raw announce team is interesting...I like Vic Joseph though, and have no opinion on Dio Maddin. Lawler is either going to stick out like a sore thumb with those two or he's going to reign them in and make them better. There will be no in between.

14 minutes ago, nofuture said:

WWE just announced the announce teams moving forward.  Raw will have Vic Joseph, Dio Maddin  and Jerry Lawler.  Smackdown will be Cole and Graves with Renee as "Special Contributor".  NXT is staying the same.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article/wwe-premiere-week-features-unprecedented-eight-hours-of-primetime-coverage

Awesome news.  I probably won't be watching SDL anymore when it moves to Friday so that means I have completely rid myself of Graves and Cole  !!!

31 minutes ago, nofuture said:

WWE just announced the announce teams moving forward.  Raw will have Vic Joseph, Dio Maddin  and Jerry Lawler.  Smackdown will be Cole and Graves with Renee as "Special Contributor".  NXT is staying the same.

https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article/wwe-premiere-week-features-unprecedented-eight-hours-of-primetime-coverage

Lawler is such a weird choice. I wonder if he is really around long term or if this is just to ease people into the two new voices most of them have never heard before.

9 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Poor Tom Phillips 

The lack of Phillips makes little sense and kind of annoys me. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Lawler is such a weird choice. I wonder if he is really around long term or if this is just to ease people into the two new voices most of them have never heard before.

The lack of Phillips makes little sense and kind of annoys me. 

I'm not alone in thinking that Tom Phillips is good at this job, right? I mean, I'm assuming that Cole is sticking around in front of the camera because Fox wants "star power" but Phillips has certainly, to me, shown he's capable of carrying the load.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Taya coming with? She'd make a good addition, and she certainly fits the profile they love. 

Best celebrity: Tyson? He came in, flubbed a line, got eyes on a PPV, sent Michaels home with a very deserved punch, and out. 

I think it's quite understated how important it was bringing him in. To me, that's when the WWF really started to gain momentum to overtaking WCW, I just wish WCW had managed to overtake WWF again at some point rather than imploding

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Multiple reports saying Johnny Impact/Nitro/Hennighan/Morrison/Mundo  has signed with WWE 

That feels like a weird signing. I thought he was heading to AEW.

21 minutes ago, chanandlerbong said:

I'm not alone in thinking that Tom Phillips is good at this job, right? I mean, I'm assuming that Cole is sticking around in front of the camera because Fox wants "star power" but Phillips has certainly, to me, shown he's capable of carrying the load.

You are not alone. He does a generally solid job calling matches and going over story while not getting too caught up in the bs of color commentary with Graves and Byron who stan for their favorites.

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Best celebrity: Tyson? He came in, flubbed a line, got eyes on a PPV, sent Michaels home with a very deserved punch, and out. 

I have actually never seen anything from Tyson's run but the random highlights they show and the WM match between HBK and Austin. I avoided mentioning people from sports.