DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

So per PWI - the word going around "backstage" is that 205Live will move to 10 pm Fridays on the Network.

So nothing is changing - its moving with SDL

By Mike Johnson on 2019-09-24 16:31:00
The word making the rounds backstage at the Smackdown taping in San Francisco is that 205 Live will be shifted to Fridays at 10 PM on the WWE Network as of next week, Friday 10/4, so the plan is to still tape the series after Smackdown goes off the air.

Triple H recently noted in a Newsweek interview that 205 Live would now fall under the NXT umbrella.  We are told that behind the scenes, that is true as well as the series is now the responsibility of the NXT Creative Team.

On 9/23/2019 at 2:14 PM, BobbyWhioux said:

? ?

very close to the angle I've wanted for years.  I can die happy.

This is great, especially the penalty kick. It also reminds of something I've been thinking about for a while.

We all know the reason no wrestling promotion has ever instituted some kind of instant replay system is because promoters want heels to be able to get away with flagrant cheating. It's a cornerstone of pro wrestling storytelling that most promotions, certainly in North America, would be hamstrung without.

For the same reason, promotions have very rarely run storylines in which referee decisions have been overturned because blatant cheating was caught on tape. We're all completely used to this.

It makes some sense, within the fiction of pro wrestling, for all referee decisions to be treated as final for matches that aren't taped. That would cover virtually all matches before the 1950s, and many matches in subsequent decades, arguably up to the present (though smartphones complicate that a bit). But the vast majority of those matches in the post-TV era would be at small low-budget shows. And yet the practice persists even in WWE, the biggest and most extensively-documented promotion ever.

So, for as much as Vince McMahon talks about taking wrestling out of the carnivals and smoke-filled VFW halls, he remains completely reliant on a storytelling trope that hasn't made much sense outside of a carnival or VFW hall in over 50 years.

I say that with one big caveat: it actually makes perfect sense if you assume that in kayfabe, the promotion wants the heels to get away with cheating all the time.

I think this is one reason that the idea of the heel authority figure caught on the way it did, and why it's had so much staying power. The audience is already disposed to be resentful of a wrestling promotion that sits back and lets their heroes get screwed over and over again. The heel authority figure just makes this dynamic explicit. It's intuitive.

I sometimes think about what it would be like if a promotion went completely the other way. I don't just mean having no outside interference and mostly clean finishes, since that's been done, especially in Japan. I'm talking about having matches overturned because of cheating caught on video, having a second ref at ringside who comes in immediately when the first gets knocked out, stuff like that. Dealing with classic pro wrestling situations in a more realistic way. It might be interesting to see what new ideas people come up with within those restrictions. But it'll never happen.

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

So per PWI - the word going around "backstage" is that 205Live will move to 10 pm Fridays on the Network.

So nothing is changing - its moving with SDL

Why do you hate @D.Z and the 205 Live thread?????

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't need anyone on "my side" to know that the Becky/Sasha feud,  the Becky/Sasha match,  Sasha/Bayley vs. Charlotte/Becky and Sasha/Nikki are a vast improvement over the four months she was gone.  That's reality. 

We know you don’t need anyone on your side for you to feel comfortable spouting this nonsense. And that’s fine, it’s an opinion and you’re allowed to have one. My problem is you condescendingly presenting your opinion as though it’s objective fact. What scientific method did you use to arrive at this objective, absolute conclusion regarding a subjective art form? What qualifies you to declaratively state that Sasha is sooooo much better than the rest of the division that her mere presence elevated women who haven’t even locked up with her since her four month absence over pouting about her wrestlemania match? As though the rest of this division needs her to make them better. Botcha can’t even be bothered not to cheapshot Alexa Bliss in a tag match on Raw. 

Please enlighten me on your expertise. If you know enough to definitively state that Sasha, she who cannot stop injuring other performers, either from negligence or malice, somehow makes the women around her better, when the vast majority of them have been wrestling longer than her, surely you can articulate it....

Edited by just drew

1 minute ago, just drew said:

And that’s fine, it’s an opinion and you’re allowed to have one.

Aren't you doing what you just accused me of doing? Dismissing my opinion and then you and a couple others here will pretend that I'm the only one that holds said opinion. Go ahead and read the threads here and see for yourself.  Pretty much everyone who commented on those matches praised them and you're still pretending that I'm in the minority.  I don't think polls mean a lot but if we did one here it would have looked just like the Observer poll. You said a while back that you had me on ignore,  the feature still exists.  If my posts bother you that much go ahead and hit the button lol. 

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Aren't you doing what you just accused me of doing? Dismissing my opinion and then you and a couple others here will pretend that I'm the only one that holds said opinion. Go ahead and read the threads here and see for yourself.  Pretty much everyone who commented on those matches praised them and you're still pretending that I'm in the minority.  I don't think polls mean a lot but if we did one here it would have looked just like the Observer poll. You said a while back that you had me on ignore,  the feature still exists.  If my posts bother you that much go ahead and hit the button lol. 

So you aren’t going to answer my question then? By what objective measure does Sasha make the entire division better? 

Get a room, lads. Broken bloody record.

Changing the subject: People mock Cody for taking shots at Triple H, and bring up that people love Trips now because he invented NXT and got more eyeballs on our indie Wrestling darlings. But actually it's a genius move, when you consider the audience AEW is aiming for. Because they are aiming for the lapsed fans, the ones who watched in the Monday Night Wars era but tuned out after the InVasion. And those people, most likely they did watch some WWE after that. And they might have seen Triple H feuding with Booker T, making it racial and winning clean. They might have seen Triple H squashing Sting. If they tuned out before the network and NXT were a thing, they would still think of H as the living embodiment of all that is wrong about WWE. So in that context, aimed at that audience (assuming it exists), it's a great play.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, just drew said:

So you aren’t going to answer my question then? By what objective measure does Sasha make the entire division better? 

I'm going to write out what she does well,  why? This has been done and continues to be done in every RAW/PPV thread. My thoughts are in there. You are free to read our discussions.  You're quite obviously biased calling her "botcha" and still running with false narratives about her absence and accusing her of having malicious intent.  You are far from open minded about the topic, let's be serious.  It's funny though,  I am quite obviously a big fan of Sasha but you and a few others are Alexa stans masquerading as fair and neutral ?

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

If they tuned out before the network and NXT were a thing, they would still think of H as the living embodiment of all that is wrong about WWE. So in that context, aimed at that audience (assuming it exists), it's a great play.

I'm not sure about this lapsed fan thing. We'll see but I don't think it's a large pool to draw from.  Sure,  when I was a teen everyone was watching wrestling but most of those people are casual viewers.  They liked the antics maybe of Stone Cold doing wild shit to Vince or maybe what was going on with the nWo or The Rock's promos.  There isn't anything out there right now that transcends wrestling.  I think if the Bullet Club had played out on national television it could have made waves.  It's a great fucking logo/t-shirt and I've seen people wearing it out and "too sweeting" each other.  It could have caught on nationally. 

7 hours ago, AxB said:

If you add up the complete compendium of every Seinfeld clip ever posted, do you have enough for a full season, or just a couple of episodes?

Maybe enough for the first and second season which were really short.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I don't think lapsed fans really exist much. I think most fans who have fallen off of wrestling just stopped being interested in wrestling. I doubt they're coming back. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

the first season of Seinfeld is like FCW before the move to Full Sail.  You could see the potential but it hadn't hit it's stride.  It was good to get a new Dad too.  (Hunter).  

Excellent analogy

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

Nah it would thrive. Look at all the shit reality shows that have storylines and acting as bad if not worst than WWE.

Really? I've watched some of those reality shows and I've never once seen them drop story lines, reverse course on things or abruptly change or drop characters like they regularly do on WWE. 

As far as "acting", wrestlers have never been very good actors in general, it's not their primary job. And maybe that's part of the issue, they shouldn't primarily be actors reciting scripted lines. The reality shows I've watched always seem to be able to have people that seem real, even if it feels worked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joseph2112 said:

Really? I've watched some of those reality shows and I've never once seen them drop story lines, reverse course on things or abruptly change or drop characters like they regularly do on WWE. 

As far as "acting", wrestlers have never been very good actors in general, it's not their primary job. And maybe that's part of the issue, they shouldn't primarily be actors reciting scripted lines. The reality shows I've watched always seem to be able to have people that seem real, even if it feels worked.

Those dopey WWE reality shows seem just as real as The Bachelorette or any of those fucking shows with "Housewives" to me. And how scripted is THAT  horseshit? I assume they're all too stupid to learn many lines. So, if those assholes can pretend and hit bullet points and convince dummies it's real, than let fucking pro wrestlers do it. They fucking invented that. ?

And there's a few guys there now who get that treatment. Guys who can talk are getting less scripted. No one is writing Daniel Bryan or Samoa Joe's promos besides them.  Shit, I hope Joe wrote the bedtime story for AJ's kid. He delivered it like he did. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't need anyone on "my side" to know that the Becky/Sasha feud,  the Becky/Sasha match,  Sasha/Bayley vs. Charlotte/Becky and Sasha/Nikki are a vast improvement over the four months she was gone.  That's reality. 

I mean yeah, but I didn't we know we were talking about the horrors of top contender Lacey Evans.

• Sad 1