Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Recommended Posts

I debated signing all my posts "The RIPPA knows" but then I realized I would have to ban myself after like 3 posts

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First time I've seen this. If previously posted, apologies.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it was. But there's another one out there of him going "You gotta be joking me!" That one is funny too

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Austin said:

I don't think it was. But there's another one out there of him going "You gotta be joking me!" That one is funny too

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WWE commentators talk about how much they hate Vince screaming in their ears all the time. Jim Ross constantly forgets (or mispronounces) people's names, calls people the wrong name, accuses wrestlers of fighting themselves, and so on. A lot of the time, he uses pronouns to hide the fact that he's forgotten a name, which obviously Vince despises. Do you think maybe Vince used to just let people talk, and he only started getting on the headset and yelling when JR started fucking everyone's name up? It would explain why the old commentary guys are so much more chill about him than the more recent ones.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Prichard the commentary has been produced to some degree since the late 80s. I think Vince's pronoun thing is more about branding/marketing, like having everyone say the full phrase "Roadblock: End of the Line" multiple times every single promo leading up to that show to differentiate it from the Roadblock that took place earlier that year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cutting down on pronouns actually makes sense, because it does reduce confusion. Watch a UFC PPV and you'll hear lots of "He nailed him with a heavy shot! He's hurt!", which, if it comes after what looked like an even exchange, it'd be nice to know which guy Rogan thinks is hurt. But eliminating pronouns entirely, using full names as often as possible, nobody really talks like that. It sounds unnatural. Alien, like.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone said (I can't remember if it was here or it was someone like Meltzer, Cornette, etc) that the WWE definitely doesn't use pronouns so the audio can be used later in video packages, etc...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AxB said:

Cutting down on pronouns actually makes sense, because it does reduce confusion. Watch a UFC PPV and you'll hear lots of "He nailed him with a heavy shot! He's hurt!", which, if it comes after what looked like an even exchange, it'd be nice to know which guy Rogan thinks is hurt. But eliminating pronouns entirely, using full names as often as possible, nobody really talks like that. It sounds unnatural. Alien, like.

Counterpoint: The UFC was able to use the same Mike Goldberg (and Rogan) soundclips from a few fights and make it sound like it came from the highlights they were showing in UFC promos. You couldn't prove those soundbytes were from the same era of the UFC let alone the same fight. Since Jon Anik came aboard, they've spliced more of the names of the fighters (and not just only the commentator wildly screaming the name of the fighter) but it's clear all of it has been carefully edited to fit the video package. It's still kinda bizarre because the tone of the commentator's voice doesn't always exactly match what's going on the screen so you have clear dissonance. However, non-fans or casual fans can't exactly tell the difference unless they themselves are in TV production.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Y'all need to se the CM Punk interview from Starrcast. It's really fucking good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Counterpoint: The UFC was able to use the same Mike Goldberg (and Rogan) soundclips from a few fights and make it sound like it came from the highlights they were showing in UFC promos. You couldn't prove those soundbytes were from the same era of the UFC let alone the same fight. Since Jon Anik came aboard, they've spliced more of the names of the fighters (and not just only the commentator wildly screaming the name of the fighter) but it's clear all of it has been carefully edited to fit the video package. It's still kinda bizarre because the tone of the commentator's voice doesn't always exactly match what's going on the screen so you have clear dissonance. However, non-fans or casual fans can't exactly tell the difference unless they themselves are in TV production.

Those THQ UFC games used to use sound clips from matches to create the commentary too. It worked so well that I was shocked that they never went with that kind commentary for the WWE games.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Y'all need to se the CM Punk interview from Starrcast. It's really fucking good. 

The Malenko one is good too, but I didn't know he was in such a bad way with Parkinson's so it bummed me out a bit until he used it to set up some funny stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tromatagon said:

The Malenko one is good too, but I didn't know he was in such a bad way with Parkinson's so it bummed me out a bit until he used it to set up some funny stuff.

In Chris Jericho's first and best book, he said how funny Dean Malenko is. 

Parkinson's sucks. My Grandad who was like a second Dad to me had it. The specialist he saw used him as an example to patients for life expectancy. My Grandad had it 27 years, the longest in the district.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pzVT90mn?format=jpg&name=small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Y'all need to se the CM Punk interview from Starrcast. It's really fucking good. 

I am very much not a fan of Punk's, but I still enjoyed it. If nothing else for the Tony Atlas story. Some nice positive messaging for wrestling fans in this climate and just for living life in general. Also...I really want to see him as a militia-esque version of Kraven the Hunter now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So when I told my friend it was going to be King Corbin because it would suck the most I was right, basically

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God Bless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I want it to be Joe, I think it's gonna be Ricochet. I mean, he already has a crown, he's  comfortable wearing a crown, seems like a no-brainer. 😀

Or, maybe they do go with Joe beating Corbin to keep this "Joe doesn't care who he beats up" deal going that I think is a slow face turn, or tweener turn.  

But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cedrick beat Corbin and face Joe, or have a face vs face " Amazing match" with Ricochet.

Sorry, Joe's been my favorite wrestler since 2005. I can't help but fantasy book.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, quackhell said:

I am very much not a fan of Punk's, but I still enjoyed it. If nothing else for the Tony Atlas story. Some nice positive messaging for wrestling fans in this climate and just for living life in general. Also...I really want to see him as a militia-esque version of Kraven the Hunter now.

Punk telling the crowd to not buy into any "Us vs. Them" bullshit regarding AEW and WWE was wonderful. When he said, " You can watch both! And enjoy the wrestling!", I thought "Amen." In this age of DVR and streaming, the ideas of ratings wars and picking a side seem silly.

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PICK A SIDE @Johnny Sorrow! I recommend Hoodslam.

Image result for johnny sorrow

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even better, pick no side and dont watch either. 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ryan said:

PICK A SIDE @Johnny Sorrow! I recommend Hoodslam.

Image result for johnny sorrow

Well, Hoodslam does fucking rule....so did that JSA run. And if you don't think Johnny Sorrow isn't showing up on one the DCW shows, I'll take that bet. He's perfect for Legends of Tomorrow.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

The Malenko one is good too, but I didn't know he was in such a bad way with Parkinson's so it bummed me out a bit until he used it to set up some funny stuff.

What was said in Malenko's? I've not read any reports of it. How bad is his Parkinson's? Didn't even realise he had it 😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

What was said in Malenko's? I've not read any reports of it. How bad is his Parkinson's? Didn't even realise he had it 😕

Here ya go.

 I'm currently making my way through the Punk one, Malenko's is probably next. The Punk one is okay, it's got some good bits but I mean, it's nothing groundbreaking or anything.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...