DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

2 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

Which team was clumsier and less coordinated: Harlem Heat 2000 or the WCW Patriots?

The WCW Patriots were just fine.  Harlem Heat 2000 had Norris, so that automatically puts them ahead anyway.

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Seriously fuck those guys anyway.

But I will remember for Ahmed for being from Mississippi even though Tony Norris is not actually from Mississippi. After JYD kinda fell off the scene, I needed another fellow Mississippian to root for. Even a kayfabe one would do.

Those guys are Matt and Jeff Hardy.

7 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

Which team was clumsier and less coordinated: Harlem Heat 2000 or the WCW Patriots?

Seriously, I watched WWF International Incident some months back. At the beginning of the six man main event with HBK, Sid, and Ahmed vs. Camp Cornette, Ahmed takes this GIANT bump off a missed senton or legdrop and the way WWF mic'd their rings with that weird hollow bass drum sound it would make in the 80s and 90s, it sounds like a goddamn grandfather clock fell over in the ring. You will laugh until your lungs fall out your chest.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

I know that's something you've talked about dealing with a lot on this board and in these kinds of discussions, and I am sorry, but I am legitimately dumbfounded here.

Your entire post dismissed what I had to say. You invalidated everything I said in an attempt of promoting feminism while disregarding me being a woman, and specifically a Black woman, because you seem to think my points are lesser than.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, cool arrow said:

I suppose, but come on.  I admit Curtis Thompson was fine.  Todd Champion was absolutely not.

Man WCW had trying to find something to do with Champion since his debut in 86

James

1 hour ago, cool arrow said:

I don't remember Ahmed getting heat so much for hurting other guys as hurting himself, but that was all a long time ago and who wants to remember Ahmed Johnson anyway?

Fun Ahmed Johnson fact. Bill Watts wanted to call him "Buck Johnson" when he (Watts) was working with Vince in 1995.

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

With all due respect, the Kardashians would not be where they are today if it weren't for their cosmetic surgeons and Kim's sex tape lol.

Now back to pro wres. This is gonna be a historic week...who else is excited???

No one. More Kardashian/Jenner talk! Maybe tie it into reparations, EBT and Immigration issues! Can the Fiend fix the country?

• Haha 1

Regal wondered out loud why Todd Champion was smiling all the time: "Even when he's hurt, or when he's angry, he's smiling. Did someone wedge a coat hanger inside his mouth, as a prank?"

6 minutes ago, Ryan said:

No one. More Kardashian/Jenner talk! Maybe tie it into reparations, EBT and Immigration issues! Can the Fiend fix the country?

I know you think you are helping but you're not

I am definitely not helping. Less than 12 hours til closing time. Maybe drag the non-wrestling/any forums here talk to another website entirely. Rippa will live up to his nickname of Ripper otherwise.

On 9/29/2019 at 5:15 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Oh I’m definitely looking at one company with a huge stink eye. That being the one employing a “Bully”. WWE has run it in the past though, but New Japan’s recent splitting off from ROH for these tours might’ve created vendetta that can’t be ignored.

I'd like to think ROH would never do something like that simply because it's Ring of Honor.

• Haha 1

Sucks there isn't a MS based wrestler in the big leagues yet. But the MS indie scene has a lot of good to great talent.

Guys like

Nate Moss-Works mostly for SWA now. Their TV show is on FITE app now.

Lukas Frost-See above.

Barry Wolf-Works all over. Teams with Frost in SWA.

Rey Fury-Dude is going all over the place now. I am betting by 2022 he is in NXT or some  place similar.

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I'm not a trained wrestler, but I don't think you should have to apologize for someone landing wrong and dislocating their elbow or whatever it was, it was pretty fucking gross looking, I remember that.  But I don't remember the move that did it now - I know at the time it seemed like she landed wrong instead of getting thrown wrong?  But I'm not trained and don't know shit so I can be 100% wrong there, but throwing shade on twitter about it always feels like a punk move.  Handle that shit in the back.

kinda been covered already, but i think it's more of a respect thing. more of a "i'm sorry that happened to you" than "i'm sorry i did that to you" moment. if you're the wrestling on the giving end, you will likely have to work with this person (or one of their close friends) so this is the first step to putting it behind everyone and nobody holding grudges.

as to your second point, completely agree. don't air your dirty laundry for the world to see. unfortunately, that's not the world we live in anymore.

Going back to the "performance art" question with Jordynne Grace...the weird thing is, even as wrestling changes to that viewpoint, we haven't seen a promotion completely steer into the skid there.

Give every person who goes to the show a voting card, and then run the matches similarly to pairs figure skating: The two/four workers are seen as a team working their match. The matches are ranked by the crowd vote, and at the end of the show the winning "match" is announced and given the win. 

This seems absurd- but it's the natural end of a "performance art"-based wrestling. If it's not able to go that far, it's inherently saying "the role you play does matter and being able to make people believe in your role matters."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Going back to the "performance art" question with Jordynne Grace...the weird thing is, even as wrestling changes to that viewpoint, we haven't seen a promotion completely steer into the skid there.

Give every person who goes to the show a voting card, and then run the matches similarly to pairs figure skating: The two/four workers are seen as a team working their match. The matches are ranked by the crowd vote, and at the end of the show the winning "match" is announced and given the win. 

This seems absurd- but it's the natural end of a "performance art"-based wrestling. If it's not able to go that far, it's inherently saying "the role you play does matter and being able to make people believe in your role matters."

I have tried to watch something like DragonGate with essentially this mindset. I didn't know the factions or feuds or most of the workers' names, so I was going to just enjoy the "dance" aspect of it. 

I got bored really fast. And I like figure skating. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bobholly138 said:

Sucks there isn't a MS based wrestler in the big leagues yet. But the MS indie scene has a lot of good to great talent.

Guys like

Nate Moss-Works mostly for SWA now. Their TV show is on FITE app now.

Lukas Frost-See above.

Barry Wolf-Works all over. Teams with Frost in SWA.

Rey Fury-Dude is going all over the place now. I am betting by 2022 he is in NXT or some  place similar.

You've got Marko Stunt in AEW.

2 hours ago, J.H. said:

Man WCW had trying to find something to do with Champion since his debut in 86

James

See, he created his own problem.  If you give a belt to a guy that called himself Champion every motherfucker would start calling themselves Steve Belt or Michael Title or Bill Heavymetal Openweight

Saw someone talking about this on Twitter the other day. I remember watching this as a kid on TV and it's some wild stuff. Nailz legit stiffed up Bossman here.