DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

"Where's the beef?" was pretty legit.  I still have no idea who Herb was.  The same WrestleMania with two burger chain characters.

Vince was like 40 back then and still had his finger on the pulse of pop culture.  I can't imagine if he was 40 today and having to watch Tik Tok videos and scan Instahoe pages looking for what passes for a celebrity in 2019.  "Bootycutie69 is here and she's living her best life at WrestleMania!"

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Willie Nelson decked out with the entire souvenir stand has to rank in the top half...

Was this while he was still paying off the IRS? IN FACT is Willie Nelson's appearance at WM what prompted IRS to show up in the WWF? ?

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, BEN! said:

"Where's the beef?" was pretty legit.  I still have no idea who Herb was.  The same WrestleMania with two burger chain characters.

Vince was like 40 back then and still had his finger on the pulse of pop culture.  I can't imagine if he was 40 today and having to watch Tik Tok videos and scan Instahoe pages looking for what passes for a celebrity in 2019.  "Bootycutie69 is here and she's living her best life at WrestleMania!"

I feel like the Divas era was about 15 years too early.  Some of these women would have been good recruits when looking the part was a bigger factor than actual wrestling ability.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

How often do you go into the gif thread?  

Oh, don't get me started on that sir.  That and the pic thread at times go way beyond the point of "Settle down" and firmly into "I should just view this stuff on my phone so my boss doesn't fire me" territory.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

I have nowhere else to post this:

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that man? Children kidnapped by terrorists, wife raped by a motorcycle gang? What kind of person thinks of that for a wrestling show?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that man? Children kidnapped by terrorists, wife raped by a motorcycle gang? What kind of person thinks of that shit?

More worryingly, how desensitized am I as fan of this nonsense that I almost definitely watched that segment at the time but have no memory of it happening?

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with that man? Children kidnapped by terrorists, wife raped by a motorcycle gang? What kind of person thinks of that for a wrestling show?

For a wrestling show?  No thanks.  But for an action movie?  Sure, why not?  Either way the score for that gave me a hearty laugh.

Do you guys ever look at your day-to-day illnesses like a wrestling program/angle?

For example, I've been dealing with bronchitis the past two weeks. The initial onset is kinda like when the monster heel Pearl Harbor's the babyface from behind. The first week is just a complete beatdown. You're Ricky Morton. Finally you decide to go to the doctor who does the arm-check three times to make sure you're not dead and then gives you medicine for the hot tag/babyface comeback. The next few days you're fighting back but still struggling to knock the hoss down off his feet until you finally emerge victorious and the disease gets its comeuppance which everyone wants to see.

These drugs are good. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Peck said:

Do you guys ever look at your day-to-day illnesses like a wrestling program/angle?

For example, I've been dealing with bronchitis the past two weeks. The initial onset is kinda like when the monster heel Pearl Harbor's the babyface from behind. The first week is just a complete beatdown. You're Ricky Morton. Finally you decide to go to the doctor who does the arm-check three times to make sure you're not dead and then gives you medicine for the hot tag/babyface comeback. The next few days you're fighting back but still struggling to knock the hoss down off his feet until you finally emerge victorious and the disease gets its comeuppance which everyone wants to see.

These drugs are good. 

What if you're the delusional heel who thinks he's a babyface? Does that mean you're simply getting what you deserve with this illness?