DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Naomi had the unfortunate luck of getting a push when the WWE was whiffing on every slow pitch lobbed their way.

I want to see her slotted back in once the Draft happens, I love each of the 4 Horsewoman but I wish it wasn't and onscreen thing. They make call backs to the curtain call and other women sorta get boxed out. I like Sasha and Naomi's onscreen chemistry I'd like to see the intertwined again.

• Like 1

Naomi didn't even get a NXT run as it's currently constructed. She was part of NXT when it was still a game show. They sent her to the main roster to be a Funkadactyl, for crying out loud. She put in the work to continually get better, probably more so than any other WWE woman in recent memory. She still hasn't had a true rivalry with any of the 4HW. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I want to see her slotted back in once the Draft happens, I love each of the 4 Horsewoman but I wish it wasn't and onscreen thing. They make call backs to the curtain call and other women sorta get boxed out. I like Sasha and Naomi's onscreen chemistry I'd like to see the intertwined again.

Re-unite the Riott Squad when Ruby returns and have Naomi align with them because they're all tired of being held back so others can succeed. Keep the glow/raver gimmick on Naomi, but amp up the obnoxiousness, like El Phantasmo levels.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The conversation in here last night got me in the mood for Bliss vs Banks on Monday, so I went back and watched their match on Raw from late August 2017. Biggest takeaway is that just two short years ago, Graves was felt like a completely different commentator. I was dreading listening to him, especially considering who was wrestling. He was downright restrained, with Cole taking the lead in calling the action. No incessant bickering, no riding Sasha for being a bad person, no OTT Bliss worship. He just called the match, and expressed some excitement when she won. But even that was restrained compared to today. I couldn't believe how tolerable it was.

What changed? Different direction from the voice in his headset? He just get over the gig real quick? Hitting the bottle too hard catch up with him? Who knows. I could speculate endlessly. Night and day difference. I had no idea how sharply his performance had declined.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Naomi didn't even get a NXT run as it's currently constructed. She was part of NXT when it was still a game show. They sent her to the main roster to be a Funkadactyl, for crying out loud. She put in the work to continually get better, probably more so than any other WWE woman in recent memory. She still hasn't had a true rivalry with any of the 4HW. Shame.

She suffered through this in FCW:

37 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The conversation in here last night got me in the mood for Bliss vs Banks on Monday, so I went back and watched their match on Raw from late August 2017. Biggest takeaway is that just two short years ago, Graves was felt like a completely different commentator. I was dreading listening to him, especially considering who was wrestling. He was downright restrained, with Cole taking the lead in calling the action. No incessant bickering, no riding Sasha for being a bad person, no OTT Bliss worship. He just called the match, and expressed some excitement when she won. But even that was restrained compared to today. I couldn't believe how tolerable it was.

What changed? Different direction from the voice in his headset? He just get over the gig real quick? Hitting the bottle too hard catch up with him? Who knows. I could speculate endlessly. Night and day difference. I had no idea how sharply his performance had declined.

Yeah, that's all nice, but goddamnit pal WHO'S THE BETTER 'RASSLER

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Settle down now. I was even nice enough not to mention which spot in the SummerSlam match had me worried about Sasha's safety. 

When will you admit that Liv Morgan is better than both of them?

I feel like I've done this before and I'm sure some may not like any of these, but Alexa is my #1 favorite so here are some of her matches that I liked a lot and led her to being my fav. I've always thought she's been able to have pretty good matches with almost everyone she's faced, not quite on the level of a Charlotte or Asuka but underrated in that aspect.

vs. Becky Lynch (Tables Match, TLC 2016) - the last non-Charlotte Becky match that I really liked. The build up featured both's best mic work.
vs. Sasha Banks x3 (Great Balls of Fire, SummerSlam 2017, RAW 8/28/17)
- Probably my favorite work from both here. Ignoring the real-life heat, I always thought they worked excellent together. Great series, especially the latter two which I rewatched last year and thought still held up very well and has me somewhat looking forward to their upcoming Raw match.
vs. Charlotte Flair (Survivor Series 2017) I think this had mixed opinions but I loved it and thought it really captured the Raw's #1 vs. SDL's #1 vibe pretty much perfectly. A standout match they've never gone back to.
vs. Asuka (1/1/18 RAW). One of my personal favorite matches of 2018. Thought it was an amazing chickenshit heel performance from Alexa and loved the story of Asuka's dominance vs Alexa only taking control after some kind of cheap shot. They worked well together and had a great finishing stretch.
Elimination Chamber (2/25/18) - Not necessarily great, but worth mentioning for the amazing Twisted Bliss off the Chamber pod and another cool instance of Alexa/Sasha working well against each other in the finish, and for her fantastic promo after.
vs. Nia Jax (WrestleMania 34 & Backlash 2018) - A pair of pretty fun 10 minute matches that I thought were some of the best at putting over Nia.
vs. Natalya vs. Ember vs. Sasha (RAW 6/11/18) - Another of my favorites of 2018, I remember loving this. It went 20 minutes and everyone involved was great.
vs. Ronda Rousey (HIAC 2018) - Loved this and thought it was a perfect clash of the two characters. Lots of great little things and cool sequences throughout, real fun match.
vs. Charlotte vs. Carmella (SDL 6/4/19) - Another where everyone involved looked awesome, this stood out to me as feeling like Alexa was back to form after injuries.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to narrow search results on Cagematch so that they only include singles matches? 

Click the plus sign next to "Displaying 1 to 100..."  between the search bar and the match list, should be a section that says "Match constellation" 2nd to last and you can select only singles, only tags, etc.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I'm still salty we never got Charlotte vs. Naomi on ppv two years ago.

2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I like Sasha and Naomi's onscreen chemistry I'd like to see the intertwined again.

Before Bayley turned I was kind of hoping we might see Team Bad reform.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Re-unite the Riott Squad when Ruby returns and have Naomi align with them because they're all tired of being held back so others can succeed. Keep the glow/raver gimmick on Naomi, but amp up the obnoxiousness, like El Phantasmo levels.

Naomi was amazingly obnoxious during the later stages of Team Bad. It was wonderful.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2019 at 7:28 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm going to write out what she does well,  why? This has been done and continues to be done in every RAW/PPV thread. My thoughts are in there. You are free to read our discussions.  You're quite obviously biased calling her "botcha" and still running with false narratives about her absence and accusing her of having malicious intent.  You are far from open minded about the topic, let's be serious.  It's funny though,  I am quite obviously a big fan of Sasha but you and a few others are Alexa stans masquerading as fair and neutral ?

Well, you're the reigning authority on stans, so if you say it it must be true. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Edwin said:

BRUH

Leon is gonna be on SmackDown next week.

JB Smoove can probably pull it off, but more often than not, celebrities on WWE television is super cringe worthy. Every time a celebrity is on one of the shows, or announced, I have flashbacks to Jeremy Piven in 2009.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think she's very good but if someone wants to point to a few matches I could go back and watch then I'd give it a shot. I can't think of a match off the top of my head right now that I can point to and say "right there...  that's a great performance." 

Also,  chill with the personal attacks,  I don't attack anyone on here ever,  I will debate and argue but I never get personal.  I like everyone here and respect your opinions even if I don't agree with them. 

Yeah. That wasn't a personal attack, man. Me saying, " Don't be one of those people who think they can say which wrestler is or isn't a wrestler", because that's fucking awful, is advice.  Chill.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Yeah. That wasn't a personal attack, man. Me saying, " Don't be one of those people who think they can say which wrestler is or isn't a wrestler", because that's fucking awful, is advice.  Chill.

"Don't be one of those people. Those people are sick and deserve pity."  Seemed kinda like an attack but  I mean at the end of the day it's all good I wasted far too much time discussing that yesterday  ?  I still like your podcasts and what not,  it's cool.  

• Like 1