DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If anyone can make it happen, it's Joey Janela.

I'm thinking it'll happen at Spring Break but yeah he's got that ability to book wacky shit like this.

I feel bad for Naomi as she's guilty by association.  Hopefully that improves after the draft.

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I feel like Naomi is overlooked because she's been around and treading ground since before the 4HW. The same way for the male roster, there's before and after the Shield. Hunter's shiny new toys took over and there's a lost generation.

Naomi will always get a bit overlooked because she came in during the diva era. She has improved vastly since her time then in all areas, but that will always be held somewhat against her. Nattie is the only one from then they still do anything with semi-regularly. The one time Naomi got a pushed unfortunately came when SDL's writing/booking lead changed, and they avoided the having the best women on the roster then (Charlotte, Becky, & Naomi) feud with each other since they were all faces. The Lana feud wasn't even terrible. It was a fine mini-feud with Naomi showing Lana was not on her level. They just fucked it up by making that Naomi's only real feud until the dumbass title loss to Nattie.

Edited by Eivion

I adore hype men commentators like David Crockett, Dusty, Booker, and Don West. I've been watching some prime TNA garbage matches and he's just so great at adding emotion to matches.

I wonder how many times David said, "LOOK AT HIM, TONY." Kills me every time.

edit: As for Naomi, her promos are the shits and while she does some fun and creative stuff in the ring from time to time I don't see her as some unheralded super worker. She's fine.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Natalya is the Ziggler of the division. Gets a lot to do for someone we know isn't one of the real stars and is just a leftover gatekeeper. 

Never thought of it that way, but that really is a perfect comparison and explanation of Natayla.

• Like 2

The lost generation talk is interesting. Because it's absolutely true, and I can see where the call-ups for The Shield and 4HW closed the door for a lot of talent. But the trains had already left the station. For the men, the Triple H Reign of Terror/Voldamort/Cena Domination did them in. For the women, it was the entire Divas Era.

34 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The lost generation talk is interesting. Because it's absolutely true, and I can see where the call-ups for The Shield and 4HW closed the door for a lot of talent. But the trains had already left the station. For the men, the Triple H Reign of Terror/Voldamort/Cena Domination did them in. For the women, it was the entire Divas Era.

Yeah. We can point out people who broke through for a moment here or there (Miz, Swagger, Ziggler, Barrett, Ryback, etc), or even people who managed to get a sustained push (Del Rio, Sheamus, Punk). But even then, the tail on that class of Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge and a bunch of Attitude holdovers always made that group seem like second-tier performers. And the Shield dropped on them, and the window was closed. 

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Honestly, this is more a Triple H/Vince thing more than anything. It is pretty obvious The Shield and 4HW, respectively, gave way to the NXT era and destroyed the FCW/DSW/OVW developmental era as nothing. It's no different than any other business saying "nope, I have my guys/my girls. I don't want the holdovers."

It has also been interesting that Naomi was one of the few women in that era who was in the worst era of it: She's just good enough so they never gave her a short run in NXT to really see if she could hold her own with this new era, but she's never been pushed enough to get the rewards of that either. 

8 hours ago, Godfrey said:

Naomi had the unfortunate luck of getting a push when the WWE was whiffing on every slow pitch lobbed their way.

I want to see her slotted back in once the Draft happens, I love each of the 4 Horsewoman but I wish it wasn't and onscreen thing. They make call backs to the curtain call and other women sorta get boxed out. I like Sasha and Naomi's onscreen chemistry I'd like to see the intertwined again.

• Like 1

Naomi didn't even get a NXT run as it's currently constructed. She was part of NXT when it was still a game show. They sent her to the main roster to be a Funkadactyl, for crying out loud. She put in the work to continually get better, probably more so than any other WWE woman in recent memory. She still hasn't had a true rivalry with any of the 4HW. Shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

33 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I want to see her slotted back in once the Draft happens, I love each of the 4 Horsewoman but I wish it wasn't and onscreen thing. They make call backs to the curtain call and other women sorta get boxed out. I like Sasha and Naomi's onscreen chemistry I'd like to see the intertwined again.

Re-unite the Riott Squad when Ruby returns and have Naomi align with them because they're all tired of being held back so others can succeed. Keep the glow/raver gimmick on Naomi, but amp up the obnoxiousness, like El Phantasmo levels.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

The conversation in here last night got me in the mood for Bliss vs Banks on Monday, so I went back and watched their match on Raw from late August 2017. Biggest takeaway is that just two short years ago, Graves was felt like a completely different commentator. I was dreading listening to him, especially considering who was wrestling. He was downright restrained, with Cole taking the lead in calling the action. No incessant bickering, no riding Sasha for being a bad person, no OTT Bliss worship. He just called the match, and expressed some excitement when she won. But even that was restrained compared to today. I couldn't believe how tolerable it was.

What changed? Different direction from the voice in his headset? He just get over the gig real quick? Hitting the bottle too hard catch up with him? Who knows. I could speculate endlessly. Night and day difference. I had no idea how sharply his performance had declined.

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 5