DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

Next female wrestler topic: I like Naomi. Anyone want to argue with me? Afterwards we can find common ground and grow closer as friends.

I've long believed Naomi could be just as popular as the 4HW or Alexa if pushed the same way. She's become a very good wrestler, has an cool moveset, with an inclusive gimmick that can potentially make lots of money. She's no worse on the mic than 3 of the 5 women previously mentioned. WWE doesn't see her as being worthy of promotion, and it's too bad.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Edwin said:

YEEEEES

Canseco made his MMA debut some years ago with DREAM in Japan against Hong Man Choi. He walked out with a baseball bat in a black gi with a black belt and got squashed in under a minute so he'd fit right into pro-wres.

I would hope by Wrestlemania weekend somebody has him booked against Nick Gage.  That would be well worth the price of admission.

46 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I've long believed Naomi could be just as popular as the 4HW or Alexa if pushed the same way. She's become a very good wrestler, has an cool moveset, with an inclusive gimmick that can potentially make lots of money. She's no worse on the mic than 3 of the 5 women previously mentioned. WWE doesn't see her as being worthy of promotion, and it's too bad.

I thought they had pushed her for a bit but isn't she somewhat being punished for her DUI a few months back?

Naomi has no DUIs. She drove on a one-way street in the wrong direction, but she wasn't drunk and wasn't arrested. Both Usos have a DUI under their belt, but neither stem from Naomi's traffic violation.

WWE's way of pushing Naomi was to have her carry Lana for months, then drop the title to an ice-cold Natalya at SummerSlam 2017. She won the first-ever Women's Battle Royal at WM 34, but they did nothing with it.

• Like 3

Their non-use of Naomi is pretty much bullshit. She should be featured more.

As for her traffic violation, I think it was Fowler who brought it up, but apparently all of the one-way streets in Detroit are really confusing. If her husband didn't start acting like an idiot, we would have never even known about it in the first place.

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If anyone can make it happen, it's Joey Janela.

I'm thinking it'll happen at Spring Break but yeah he's got that ability to book wacky shit like this.

I feel bad for Naomi as she's guilty by association.  Hopefully that improves after the draft.

14 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I feel like Naomi is overlooked because she's been around and treading ground since before the 4HW. The same way for the male roster, there's before and after the Shield. Hunter's shiny new toys took over and there's a lost generation.

Naomi will always get a bit overlooked because she came in during the diva era. She has improved vastly since her time then in all areas, but that will always be held somewhat against her. Nattie is the only one from then they still do anything with semi-regularly. The one time Naomi got a pushed unfortunately came when SDL's writing/booking lead changed, and they avoided the having the best women on the roster then (Charlotte, Becky, & Naomi) feud with each other since they were all faces. The Lana feud wasn't even terrible. It was a fine mini-feud with Naomi showing Lana was not on her level. They just fucked it up by making that Naomi's only real feud until the dumbass title loss to Nattie.

Edited by Eivion

I adore hype men commentators like David Crockett, Dusty, Booker, and Don West. I've been watching some prime TNA garbage matches and he's just so great at adding emotion to matches.

I wonder how many times David said, "LOOK AT HIM, TONY." Kills me every time.

edit: As for Naomi, her promos are the shits and while she does some fun and creative stuff in the ring from time to time I don't see her as some unheralded super worker. She's fine.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Natalya is the Ziggler of the division. Gets a lot to do for someone we know isn't one of the real stars and is just a leftover gatekeeper. 

Never thought of it that way, but that really is a perfect comparison and explanation of Natayla.

• Like 2

The lost generation talk is interesting. Because it's absolutely true, and I can see where the call-ups for The Shield and 4HW closed the door for a lot of talent. But the trains had already left the station. For the men, the Triple H Reign of Terror/Voldamort/Cena Domination did them in. For the women, it was the entire Divas Era.

34 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The lost generation talk is interesting. Because it's absolutely true, and I can see where the call-ups for The Shield and 4HW closed the door for a lot of talent. But the trains had already left the station. For the men, the Triple H Reign of Terror/Voldamort/Cena Domination did them in. For the women, it was the entire Divas Era.

Yeah. We can point out people who broke through for a moment here or there (Miz, Swagger, Ziggler, Barrett, Ryback, etc), or even people who managed to get a sustained push (Del Rio, Sheamus, Punk). But even then, the tail on that class of Cena/Orton/Batista/Edge and a bunch of Attitude holdovers always made that group seem like second-tier performers. And the Shield dropped on them, and the window was closed. 

5 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Honestly, this is more a Triple H/Vince thing more than anything. It is pretty obvious The Shield and 4HW, respectively, gave way to the NXT era and destroyed the FCW/DSW/OVW developmental era as nothing. It's no different than any other business saying "nope, I have my guys/my girls. I don't want the holdovers."

It has also been interesting that Naomi was one of the few women in that era who was in the worst era of it: She's just good enough so they never gave her a short run in NXT to really see if she could hold her own with this new era, but she's never been pushed enough to get the rewards of that either.