DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Weird time to start patting ourselves on the back for civility, since it immediately followed a couple of pages of personal attacks on SK. Maybe y'all are just talking about civility among the dozens of people here with "crazy old billionaire fuck this company" hot takes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There's under a hundred regular posters on the board. If dozens of them all hold the same opinion, it's not a hot take. It's the majority view.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Eivion said:

So what type of money did Khan pay USA for these AEW commercials? I ask because depending on how much its pretty damn stupid that USA is advertising direct competition to WWE and themselves. 

Those are locally bought ads in certain markets, not national commercials.  I know I didn't get them and I'm not in a big tv market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Season 6 was light on book material and it had some of the best episodes of the entire run including 'Battle of the Bastards'.    I think the issue was more that a lot of plots were rushed at the end. 

As far as massive battles go, Battle of the Bastards is technically impressive, but largely nonsense driven on the Stark boys (Jon and Rickon) making some shitty choices. I find it really overrated. Give me Hardhome or Blackwater any day. 

1 minute ago, AxB said:

There's under a hundred regular posters on the board. If dozens of them all hold the same opinion, it's not a hot take. It's the majority view.

I was under the impression that I overused quotes and people here could pick up on when I'm using sarcasm. I'll throw in a winky face just for you next time, since you are literally the problem. 

5 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Those are locally bought ads in certain markets, not national commercials.  I know I didn't get them and I'm not in a big tv market.

Ah, that explains it. Still kind of for some to give no fucks about it.

19 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

As far as massive battles go, Battle of the Bastards is technically impressive, but largely nonsense driven on the Stark boys (Jon and Rickon) making some shitty choices. I find it really overrated. Give me Hardhome or Blackwater any day. 

But even then Hardhome is referenced in the books but not a battle that is in the pages right?  So they had to do the heavy lifting to map that out also. 

2 hours ago, Eivion said:

So what type of money did Khan pay USA for these AEW commercials? I ask because depending on how much its pretty damn stupid that USA is advertising direct competition to WWE and themselves. 

I’m not watching, but I remember back in the day I would see ads on USA for Nitro, and that’s what got me to watch. It was perfect. 2-hours of wrestling, stars I grew up watching, and they used a clip in the commercials that would end up being burned into my mind for years. That clip being Lex Luger forearming the Giant in the head, and him falling like a giant redwood. 

If I had to guess, they are paying for these ads through local cable operators.   So these aren’t necessarily going national. Just strategically placed during  what is usually reserved for local ads.

edit: I’ve been beaten to the punch.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

But even then Hardhome is referenced in the books but not a battle that is in the pages right?  So they had to do the heavy lifting to map that out also. 

Yeah, that battle wasn’t in the books. Thrilling though. One of the best moments of the post-book series. 

1 hour ago, MORELOCK said:

Weird time to start patting ourselves on the back for civility, since it immediately followed a couple of pages of personal attacks on SK. Maybe y'all are just talking about civility among the dozens of people here with "crazy old billionaire fuck this company" hot takes.

I wasn't involved, so I'll pat myself on the back like Barry Horowitz.

• Like 2

It occurs to me that one ironic effect of the ongoing death of kayfabe is that, in at least one respect, it makes pro wrestling MORE like real sports, not less.

Real sports generally don't have competitors that are good guys or bad guys to the audience in general (though I'm sure there are notable exceptions); typically there are various competitors that different people like for various more or less arbitrary reasons, so that a player or team can be the hero to one part of the audience the villain to another. People get excited by storylines and rivalries, but they don't need them to have a clear good guy/bad guy dynamic. That can help, especially in combat sports, but it's not necessary.

So, ironically, pro wrestling moving away from even pretending to be legit made the relationship between the performers and the audience more like what you find in real sports.

The problem is that for this to work as mass entertainment, you need a large core of fans who just like the competition itself, and will happily watch it even when they're not all that invested in the outcome. And because most of what happens on a pro wrestling show is heavily stylized fake fighting with all kinds of goofy conventions, it's an extremely dorky thing to like.

That severely limits how big that crucial core of fans can be. So pro wrestling is destined to be a thoroughly niche thing from now on (for this among other reasons everybody here already knows about).

Edited by MapRef41N93W
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I was under the impression that I overused quotes and people here could pick up on when I'm using sarcasm. I'll throw in a winky face just for you next time, since you are literally the problem. 

I know you aren't supposed to ask for custom titles, and I've already got one anyway, but I'd love it if mine said "Literally the problem".

Also, sarcasm doesn't work in typeface. Anything you type can and will be taken seriously. Unless you go to the extent of, like [sarcasm] Boris Johnson is really doing a great job as Prime Minister[/sarcasm].

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vince is objectively an old billionaire lunatic. He's about to waste billions of dollars again for minor league football nobody asked for or wants. Well, a certain demographic might have asked for it but I doubt they ever stopped watching the NFL, despite their protestations to the contrary. Also WWE constantly shits on their own reality by acknowledging that NXT is a brand under their umbrella yet NXT scrubs often receive better pushes on the main roster than more talented in-ring performers who thrived in NXT, for sports entertainer related reasons. You might as well never have certain wrestlers ever leave NXT if all they're going to do is play chump for the same old contrived archetypes (often portrayed by not-ready-for-primetime in-ring performers) on the main roster. "You no speaky Engrish, no TV time for you, go do the YouTube video game channel."

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 3