DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

30 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Speaking as a WWE fan--akin to being a three-legged zebra among the horses around here--your attempt at humor. . .is an attempt.

I would enjoy talking more with some of you about wrestling to learn more and give insight to another perspective--if I thought it would accomplish something. It won't. WWE fans are seen as dumb, mindless sheep who can't or don't think for themselves. After a while, there's little point in trying anymore.

Honestly, given my less than civil interactions with you on here in the past, I owe you an apology for my attitude. I am truly trying to let things be nowadays (though, no, I'm not always successful).

I took down the comment referenced.

Edited by PB-13
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Anyone have a better source than WrestleVotes on the pyro thing?

To be fair - WrestleVotes is a halfway decent source for WWE news (especially Hall of Fame stuff)

Now that being said... no other of the "big" places have reported it (and the ones that do are citing the WrestleVotes story)

3 hours ago, PB-13 said:

Still beats Wrestling Twitter and the constant barrage of "Heathens will bow before their gods Vince and Hunter or burn in the fiery pits of hell! (or AEW lol cuz they're worse)."

I wisely decided to stay away from Twitter. This is really the only place online I discuss wrestling. Facebook is a cesspool of wrestling discussion.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

I'd rather pyro just be used on PPVs or the big 4 or 5 PPV shows. 

For as much as it sounded like the pyro cost every week, I'd rather that money be used for paying the wrestlers more or at least covering their transportation and room and board expenses.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'd rather pyro just be used on PPVs or the big 4 or 5 PPV shows. 

For as much as it sounded like the pyro cost every week, I'd rather that money be used for paying the wrestlers more or at least covering their transportation and room and board expenses.

Or,you know, health insurance. ? 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, caley said:

Fascinating that they’re bringing it back just as the NFL band it after a high profile accident/fire.  

I always figured that's why WWE stopped doing it. Not only is it expensive, but insurance on renting arenas cost more when doing it. Plus there aren't many people/companies that can do pyro safely. The risks outweigh the rewards, in many ways.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I wisely decided to stay away from Twitter. This is really the only place online I discuss wrestling. Facebook is a cesspool of wrestling discussion.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's the best. If you want to have a level headed discussion (or at least somewhat level headed discussion) this board maybe best. There's variety, knowledge about all kinds of wrestling and some humor mixed in. ?

I like Wrestling Twitter best to keep up with news, results, gifs and videos but that's about it. Rarely any interesting debates or discussions go on there aside from folks flaming each other.

I like Wrestling Facebook pages to keep up with local upcoming events. I don't really bother discussing wrestling on there as I use it for other things.

Also, on social media there's always these random folks that will attack you for no reason. Say something good about WWE/NXT/NXT UK and AEW fans will attack you, say something good about AEW and WWE fans will attack you, etc. Pathetic.

Aside from that one "Thanks to AEW for speeding up the process" meme post from that someone some days ago, I'd like to say we're safe from that buffoonery for the most part here as I know the mods will clean up when things like that spill.

Edited by Edwin

I still have relatively positive hopes for Bischoff based on his podcast and the fact he repeatedly highlights a lot of things WWE has been lacking for a decade or more (surprise, long term storylines, anticipation, stakes, clear heel-face dynamics). He's been pretty good at discussing things he would do differently today when pressed on specifics. It's not that I think he's a genius so much as it's obvious so much of what he believes was driven by market testing and one article on the 96 Olympics and frankly those constantly repeated takeaways just happen to be what WWE storytelling has been missing.

I am a little excited for the Bryan-Roman confrontation this week almost despite myself.

35 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Game of Thrones discussion went nuclear for the final season.  A lot of bloodshed on the show and online. 

I find this to be overblown.  The final season was an overwhelming drop in quality and people were dissatisfied, but the criticisms to the criticism are probably just as bad.  It is OK to say something sucks, when it sucks, especially when you've invested years into that product.  There are people who went overboard, but the vast majority of the criticisms of the final season of Game of Thrones are more than valid.  They started their home run trot before the ball went of the fence and it showed.  

Onto @Burgundy LaRue's point.  Caring about something either brings you great joy or great regret.  Caring about wrestling hasn't brought me anything close to joy in a long time...but instead of letting it bring me down, I stopped caring.  You are seeing what happens when something people care about deeply consistently disappoints.  You can either admit that you're wasting time or lash out at everyone who points out the flaws in that thing you care about.  

Edited by supremebve
  • Like 6

Just now, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

Season eight of Thrones was no worse than the couple that preceded it.

Best part of that shitshow was watching more and more of those insane spoilers be proven correct every single week. 

I'd say season 8 is worse by far, but the show started down a terrible path when they got further than the books.  The entire Dorne plot, Barriston Selmy, and the Sansa/Ramsay marriage were all signs of things to come.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'd say season 8 is worse by far, but the show started down a terrible path when they got further than the books.  The entire Dorne plot, Barriston Selmy, and the Sansa/Ramsay marriage were all signs of things to come.  

Season 6 was light on book material and it had some of the best episodes of the entire run including 'Battle of the Bastards'.    I think the issue was more that a lot of plots were rushed at the end. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Onto @Burgundy LaRue's point.  Caring about something either brings you great joy or great regret.  Caring about wrestling hasn't brought me anything close to joy in a long time...but instead of letting it bring me down, I stopped caring.  You are seeing what happens when something people care about deeply consistently disappoints.  You can either admit that you're wasting time or lash out at everyone who points out the flaws in that thing you care about.  

I'm fine with someone not enjoying the same things as me. I don't think WWE is perfect.

The problem is when I or others present another side, one that could be part of a wider discussion. It's dismissed because so many are jaded about the topic. It stops being fun talking about it. Why ask for another viewpoint, then brush off that POV when given? 

I can sometimes tell if someone and I aren't far off in our takes. We're just coming from different perspectives. But something gets lost during the conversation. Then we both end up angry.

FYI to some folks: it doesn't help throwing personal accusations. I'm constantly amazed at how so many here don't want to be labeled, but have no problem doing it to someone else. That's always a JOY to read. ?

The point of being members of this board is to belong to a larger community. To hopefully enjoy each other's company and talk about any number of things. Disagreements will happen, and that's okay. It just seems like there's a more productive way of doing it.

• Like 4

Reaching back a day (and, like, twenty pages. You all are verbose today.)...

On 9/22/2019 at 4:59 PM, Matt D said:

Wrestling is a medium and not a genre (as we elaborated on at length in the beloved AEW thread)

I'd like to see a condensing of that argument, because it seems clear to me that it's a genre, not a medium. It's a genre that's traditionally been presented through the media of television or live performance, but there have been pro wrestling comics and films too. (The only pro wrestling prose I'm aware of is fan fiction, or "fantasy booking" as it's called in wrestling circles.)

If it's a medium, it seems to be an oddly restrictive one. Every storytelling medium I can think of can tell a story that's non-stop wall-to-wall action, and they can tell a story where nothing happens besides a group of friends sitting around talking about life and shit. It's hard to see how the alleged medium of pro wrestling could tell the latter type of story and still be pro wrestling.