DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I hope you are prepared for that to happen about a 1000 more times

And on TNT too if they start hyping AEW during basketball

I'm prepared but still will take issue with it.  As for TNT I would hope they know better but I'm not that naiive.

23 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

*Their fans aren't people I've wanted to be around for a long time. I'm also quite happy to have given up on the main roster shows.

*NXT crowds being the exception

Still beats Wrestling Twitter and the constant barrage of "Heathens will bow before their gods Vince and Hunter or burn in the fiery pits of hell! (or AEW lol cuz they're worse)."

6 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Few hate their beloved hobby more than wrestling fans.

I'm not sure any fanbase eats its own more than wrestling fans.

Sci-Fi? Admittedly that comes from someone who only likes a few Sci-Fi things so I'm not the most accurate person to say that.

Edited by The Natural

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think it just applies to the public in general. I love football but you couldn't pay me to sit in most NFL stadiums.

Part of why I don't go to WWE shows much any more besides NXT.

I remember hearing a story from a friend about assholes bothering his kid for cheering Roman. That's way over the line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

What's everyone's opinions of Daisuke Sekimoto and Ilja Dragunov? I'm a big fan of both.

Sekimoto doesn't have loads of personality or charisma, but he is fun to watch as a bulldozer bullying smaller folks and tossing them around or as a stocky pitbull putting on incredible feats of strength and pulling off crazy deadlift throws on guys much bigger than him. I wasn't too high on his early death match work, so I'm glad he transitioned away from that and made a name for himself in regular matches. There's tons of footage of his available for free and he's been around forever, so I'm sure a lot of you have seen him at some point.

Dragunov brings a ton of intensity to his matches, really connects with the live crowds, excels as an underdog who can take a brutal beating and mount a fantastic comeback as his matches with WALTER from last year from wXw in Germany and his match with Cesaro at TakeOver Cardiff showed. He's been around for a lot less time than Sekimoto and a lot of his footage is behind paywalls, so he maybe more unfamiliar to a lot of folks.

Haven;t watched a Sekimoto match in years, but I always thought he was good-great a hoss along with the rest of the Strong BJW guys I assume he trained. 

I've yet to be super impressed with Dragunov, but my viewing is limited purely to his NXT UK work. I like his intensity, but ti feels like he doesn't have much more than that at times. Some of his offense also takes me just a little out of it.

48 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

Still beats Wrestling Twitter and the constant barrage of "Heathens will bow before their gods Vince and Hunter or burn in the fiery pits of hell! (or AEW lol cuz they're worse)."

I always find it funny when you guys bring stuff like this up because that shit happens just as often with anti-WWE fans. Personally I find it annoying regardless of which group of fans does it since its a pretty shitty attitude to take with people for not simply sharing the same opinions as you.

9 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I think it just applies to the public in general. I love football but you couldn't pay me to sit in most NFL stadiums.

I’d off myself before I’d ever go to another Dolphins game. 

The last time I went was such an awful experience. Not really because of the fans(This was right around the time of kneeling). The sport itself is such a bore to watch. You realize how much commentary, and replays help mask the dead air between plays. You also notice how preprogrammed, and robotic the cheerleaders are.

*Play stops*

*Turn to the crowd. Dance... Dance... Dance...*

*Play resumes*

*Turn, and face the field. Pom pom’s to hips, and stand still smiling.*

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I’d off myself before I’d ever go to another Dolphins game. 

The last time I went was such an awful experience. Not really because of the fans(This was right around the time of kneeling). The sport itself is such a bore to watch. You realize how much commentary, and replays help mask the dead air between plays. You also notice how preprogrammed, and robotic the cheerleaders are.

*Play stops*

*Turn to the crowd. Dance... Dance... Dance...*

*Play resumes*

*Turn, and face the field. Pom pom’s to hips, and stand still smiling.*

The cheerleaders would be the last thing I'd complain about at NFL games lol. I'm talking more about the drunk, boorish idiots.

Just now, Infinit said:

The cheerleaders would be the last thing I'd complain about at NFL games lol. I'm talking more about the drunk, boorish idiots.

They are very pretty, but when I’m bored as shit, and start to nitpick shit in my mind, it starts to look weird when the only people on the sidelines that aren’t eating shit, and chitchatting are them. Like I’ve seen NBA dancers chat up with each other. Not these ladies. They are English palace guards compared to the NBA dancers.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Honestly dude, enough.  Every post is just "blah blah blah eeeeeeeeevil smarks blah blah blah."  Did a smark run over your dog or something? 

You know what? Yes. Yes, smarks ran over my dog. They ran it over the second that the fans got exactly what they wanted at Wrestlemania 30 with Daniel Bryan winning the title and toppling the Authority, and they didn't even have the decency to wait until the last piece of confetti fell in the Superdome before saying "That shit was so cash. NOW DO CESARO! From the top...just give us Cesaro and we'll be happy forever! We never asked you for anything else except Cesaro! If you don't give us Cesaro then it's proof you hate us and don't want us to be happy!"

You legit blame some mythical strawman version of smart fans -- which you have completely made up in your mind -- for all that's wrong with wrestling today.  You generalize the thoughts, motivations, wants, etc of a whole group of fans, and treat it as some monolithic entity that is somehow ruining the business.

When those same fans completely believe they're blameless, every single problem is the fault of everyone except themselves, and everything they do is 100% justified, 100% noble, and 100% downright heroic, and refuse to accept that there's any problem on their side, yes. Yes it needs to be said "no, you're not blameless, there's some problems on your side." 

And if I don't want a monolithic entity? No...when the fans are a monolith it's great. Monoliths get shit done. When the fans rise up as one and say "THIS. We want THIS", we get exactly what we want, and we get it in a way that it becomes beautiful. When the fans splinter up and separate, on the other hand? We're STILL seen as a monolith- but this monolith is telling people "we're only truly happy when we have something to complain about. Just do what you want- hell, make the show even worse, and then we can complain all the time and be truly happy!"

WWE can choose to write anything they want and the fans can take it or leave it.  WWE's "reality" happens to be hot garbage.  And it's not because some mythical "smart mark" demands it be bad.  It's mostly because everyone there writes to the ever-changing whims of a crazy old man who changes the whole show 20 minutes before belltime. 

Yes, WWE can choose to write anything they want, but that's the whole point that went further. Sometimes, what they write is very good, but many fans don't recognize it being good because the wrestler they like isn't benefitting from this good storyline. That's the whole point. 

Edited by SorceressKnight

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Sci-Fi? Admittedly that comes from someone who only likes a few Sci-Fi things so I'm not the most accurate person to say that.

Hardcore Old school Kung-fu movie fans. 

Unless their a bunch of wresting fans out there that are the sole owners of a show only the people who attended ever saw and they like to brag about it and refuse to share. 

On the flip side you had people trying to unearth stuff no one had ever seen only to turn in to the former when some dipshit decided to make a buck off them and pirate the crap out of their finds.  

You do realize that the blamelessness and sense of justification is a human being thing, rather than a wrestling fan thing, right? Thieves don't steal because they're evil, they steal because it's not fair that other people get to gave things. Thugs don't hit people because they're violent by nature, they hit people who provoke them and therefore deserve a beating. Et cetera.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, PB-13 said:

And people call me miserable. Have you tried investing time in other hobbies? Legit, it helps.

Speaking as a WWE fan--akin to being a three-legged zebra among the horses around here--your attempt at humor. . .is an attempt.

I would enjoy talking more with some of you about wrestling to learn more and give insight to another perspective--if I thought it would accomplish something. It won't. WWE fans are seen as dumb, mindless sheep who can't or don't think for themselves. After a while, there's little point in trying anymore.

• Like 1