DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I was having a similar discussion about this with a co-worker today and he asked me "So what WOULD make you start watching the WWE again?" and the more I thought about it, the more I honestly don't know. I want more than just a good match. I want something that will draw me in. A good example would be the Cody vs Dustin match in AEW. I fucking loved that match not because Dustin lost 75% of the blood in his body but because of the build up and story that it told. I guess my main problem is that I don't TRUST the WWE to be brave enough to do anything bold and cutting edge because ZOMG the stock price might dip a quarter of a percent. So rather than do something risky and edgy  they keep churning out the same safe, sanitized, corporate dreck and expect me to like it. I don't want the return of the Attitude Era, I don't want blood all over the place, I just want to watch something that doesn't make me feel like it is a lazy re-hash of something else I saw in the past that was hastily thrown together at the last minute. 

So I pose the same question to those of you on here who, like me, have cut the cord with WWE. What, if anything, could they do that would bring you back?

• Like 1

I’m still trying to figure out who personally feels like a loser because their wrestler of choice is booked poorly. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

@BrianS81177, I don’t know what would make me more enthusiastic about WWE. I’m barely hanging on by a thread at this point. And yet I enjoy enough other stuff that I know I’m not done with wrestling. 

22 hours ago, Execproducer said:

Everyone is right here. Yes, today's stuff is more intricate and obviously choreographed. Yes, commentators of today generally do a lousy job of putting over the 'struggle'. Yes, they did a better job back in the day of making it look like a fight. But an Irish whip is still an Irish whip and stomping the mat when landing a strike has never been realistic. It has always been necessary to suspend disbelief.  

The fun challenge of writing "Wrestling Is Real" was figuring out what moves couldn't be used if wrestling were a real sport. No Irish whips in the book!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

So I pose the same question to those of you on here who, like me, have cut the cord with WWE. What, if anything, could they do that would bring you back?

excitement. spontaneity. great matches. storylines that hook me. lose some of the "slick"ness or "over produced" feel of the show. 
i tune in yearly for Royal Rumble and WrestleMania. both shows would really have to blow me away, on top of months of positive press (here and other places), for me to watch whatever the post-Mania PPV event is. 

the point (to me) is that the show isn't for me anymore. They've booked towards kids for years now, and all the shininess and quick camera cuts turn me away. i'm not their target audience, and since i'm well into my 30s, it never will be again. that's fine from my perspective, there's plenty of wrestling from the 80s and 90s that i haven't even seen yet.

I think the appeal of MJF's work is that he chooses to step over the line from time to time with his work, that plenty of his peers choose to play it safe with (or have it chosen by their employer that they shouldn't).

If you choose to believe that cancel-culture is a real thing, and I assume most promotions/networks do, he willingly oversteps that line constantly that wasn't there 30 years ago. 

So whilst, yes, I'm sure people play along as a tribute to the quality of his work, I think people also appreciate/respect that there is a level of risk to what he does.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I think the appeal of MJF's work is that he chooses to step over the line from time to time with his work, that plenty of his peers choose to play it safe with (or have it chosen by their employer that they shouldn't).

My thing is I want him more over the line. I want him to really make some people uncomfortable. But it's 2019, so nobody wants to touch the hot stove. Right or wrong. 

6 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

My thing is I want him more over the line. I want him to really make some people uncomfortable. But it's 2019, so nobody wants to touch the hot stove. Right or wrong. 

He DID flip off that handicapped dude a few weeks back....... 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, Peck said:

He DID flip off that handicapped dude a few weeks back....... 

Saw it. Wasn’t impressed. That stove can get warmer. 

7 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

He also told a guy in a wheelchair at a Q and A LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO and stood up

Okay, that’s closer to the mark. 

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't think TNT is going to be eager to offend.  

Or the EVPs, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think this can go here.      John Oliver just won an Emmy. 

Hasn’t he been on a streak with that award? Did he submit the WWE episode? 

Feels like a TV thing. 

Yeah, you can't really be a heel in the ways that would get genuine heat because sponsors and network heads won't allow that to happen.

The reason that fans don't feel primal hatred for heels is that heels can't be genuinely deplorable people of the type that you might actually hate in real life. You can get away with writing characters like that in every other scripted show outside of pro wrestling at least some of the time.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

The reason that fans don't feel primal hatred for heels is that heels can't be genuinely deplorable people of the type that you might actually hate in real life. You can get away with writing characters like that in every other scripted show outside of pro wrestling at least some of the time.

Unfortunately for pro wrestling the media views it as "HAHA silly fake fighting you idiots" but also "He crossed the line and should be fired!" at the same time...  

Characters are fake until the media decides they want them to be real. 

• Like 2

And even among real characters, Fox has stumbled into a situation where Tucker’s white supremacy is untouchable and won’t be cancelled. 

Wresting is held to a higher standard than the shit Tucker says on TV five nights a week. What a world we live in. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Like 1

I'd be curious to see how he went in a WWE environment where there is such limitations on what he can do, and the exceptionally public endings of kayfabe. Is he hypothetically as good a heel as Miz was, if you're seeing him do Make A Wish clips every Raw?

It's a bit like how no-one gave a shit about Mike Awesome after he was no longer the biggest guy on the roster powerbombing everyone else through tables and braining them with chairs. 

To play devil's advocate - there's generally a disassociation between someone being a good worker just because they legitimately beat the shit out of people, is he necessarily a good character if he's not necessarily playing a character either?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

To play devil's advocate - there's generally a disassociation between someone being a good worker just because they legitimately beat the shit out of people, is he necessarily a good character if he's not necessarily playing a character either?

I vote to start up a fed where there's only tough surly bastards potatoing each other.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

He also told a guy in a wheelchair at a Q and A LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO and stood up

That's fucking tremendous. I'll bet the guy in wheelchair has a good laugh about it now too