DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

On 9/18/2019 at 4:43 PM, AxB said:

I haven't been watching New Japan, but Jay White seems to have gone from being an overpushed nobody to being a solid gold main event wrestling genius in the space of nine months. Is that right, or is it just that one guy on the board really digs him, and everyone else finds him unexceptional?

On 9/18/2019 at 5:07 PM, Oyaji said:

He's really smart but I find his matches lacking a certain drama most of the time. Hopefully that comes. He is exceptional given his age and relative experience. 

I'm a little late to the party on this, as I (clearly) don't post much. But, I think you both are getting at a good point that's worth discussing. i'm just going to pretend the whole rugby thing didn't happen.

To me, the thing about Jay White that doesn't always get explicitly pointed out is just how rapid his improvement was. If you go back to watch his first "Switchblade" singles match against Tanahashi and proceed onward, you can see him improve almost every facet of his game in each subsequent singles match he took part in. I'd say this is a remarkable achievement in a promotion like NJPW, where most of your matches outside of big tournaments or singles title matches will be multi-man tags. 

To look at that first match, and then look at the confidence level the guy has now in terms of both in-ring and character performance...it's a huge leap in a very short time. I'm not necessarily sold on any "best in the world" talk for Jay White yet, but he's putting himself in some rarefied air with respect to how good he's gotten in such a brief period.

• Like 3

On 9/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, AxB said:

I haven't been watching New Japan, but Jay White seems to have gone from being an overpushed nobody to being a solid gold main event wrestling genius in the space of nine months. Is that right, or is it just that one guy on the board really digs him, and everyone else finds him unexceptional?

2nd best character wrestler in the world after Velveteen Dream.

Their ages make both even more incredible.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

New Zealand v South Africa on Saturday, mark your calendar mate.

As an Australian I wholeheartedly agree. Even if only for the pregame with (IMO) the 2 best national anthems in the world followed by the HAKA!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L_W_P said:

As an Australian I wholeheartedly agree. Even if only for the pregame with (IMO) the 2 best national anthems in the world followed by the HAKA!

Hello, Aussie!

New Zealand anthem is a favourite of mine. The Haka is a must see, though I prefer when it was the same one and not these differing versions.

Edited by The Natural

Why you should watch Rugby.

They mic up the referee and put a camera on him.

Much more action then football. A play in the NFL is 5-8 seconds of action, followed by 40 seconds of replays and wait. When the ball-carrier is tackled in rugby, everyone piles in to try to put the ball on their side of the pileon (called a Ruck). Keeps the game moving. 

The terminology is awesome too.

Rucks, Mauls, Positions like the Scrum-Half, the Fly-Half, and the two Hookers.

No padding

Oh, and for end-of-game drama, you can't beat it (the game doesn't end until the ball goes out of play after the 80 minutes are up, so you get great drama like this tremendous match from the last world cup)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V37Ko4pvioA

also, Rugby allows frickin WAR CHANTS, before games.

(Like New Zealand's Haka)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiKFYTFJ_kw

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 3

Yeah, I think I'm sold on rugby now.  NZ's Haka they do is always cool to see.

Now to tie this into wrestling I'm curious how many rugby players found their way to wrestling.  I think there's been a few (would need to look this up)  But while they look for football players I would definitely look into rugby players that would be up for giving it a shot.

Wrestlers who used to play Rugby? That one Japanese guy from the Swing-Lows (he was on the Smackdown roster in the S6 era, but I can't remember his name) and probably every Samoan and Tongan who actually grew up there.

Most everyone else who played the game is physically destroyed by the time they stop. Whilst some people argue that American Football should have less hard hits and more safe tackling like Rugby, Rugby journalists bemoan that the sport is decades behind Gridiron in terms of concussion awareness.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2019 at 7:13 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I was pretty amused reading the review of that JAPW show and finding you guys had never heard of Steen or Generico. Thinking about that must be a trip nowadays.

We'd heard OF them, to be sure... we just hadn't actually seen any of their stuff yet. Owens and Sami really owe JAPW/CZW a debt of gratitude because that was where they got on the map Stateside.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

Wrestlers who used to play Rugby? That one Japanese guy from the Swing-Lows (he was on the Smackdown roster in the S6 era, but I can't remember his name) and probably every Samoan and Tongan who actually grew up there.

Kenzo Suzuki.

• Thanks 1

They're pretty big hands, to be fair.

Davey Boy Smith played Rugby league in school (Dynamite was probably too small), I think Mark Davis from Aussie Open did, and basically the entire population of Wales at least tries it, so every Welsh wrestler you can think of.

Edited by AxB

7 minutes ago, Sublime said:

The forgettable Keno Suzuki gets mentioned before the one and only Rogue General Bad Luck Fale?

tenor.gif?itemid=13180600

Kenzo got REALLY fun in AAA to be fair. Tremendous shtick and charisma and he was finally putting it together in a wrestling sense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Antonio Cesaro.

That was such a strange choice for a gimmick, a Swiss Rugby player? There are about 50 more popular sports in Switzerland. After a quick look on Wikipedia, the couple of Rugby teams that exist in Switzerland, are mostly located in the French speaking part (which makes sense considering the popularity of Rugby in France). I suppose Cesaro can be lucky that Vince does not know about Schwingen (look it up on Wikipedia, no, it's not the German word for swinging (at least not for the kind Eric Bischoff is into)).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Whilst some people argue that American Football should have less hard hits and more safe tackling like Rugby

You mean "safe tackles" like the ones that got posted here earlier? ?

I put "pro wrestlers who played rugby" into the bar and the only guy who showed up was Ridge Holland from NXT UK.