DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

29 minutes ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

League is the one played exclusively by six northern towns that don't have football teams. Union is the good one.

Did Don Revie die for NOTHING?

Folks, please, let me mediate. Rugby is trash and Union and League both suck equally.

But good for Sheamus, who I swear I've seen on NBC Sports's PL coverage and maybe on Men in Blazers unless I dreamt it. He's clearly a big fan of sport(s).

4 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I don't know that anyone should be entertaining that post when it's clearly trolling, but I'm pretty sure the women main eventing WrestleMania for the first time this year got a little bit more buzz than Sasha saying "bitch" a few times.

That Lacey Evans and Becky Lynch program was really setting the world on fire wasn't @MORELOCK ?   ?

Becky and Sasha was the most over match on the entire CoC show (which to be fair isn't saying THAT much) and people are really into the feud. They had the best match on the card too by most accounts. I mean that's not a surprise to me but it's worth pointing out.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Folks, please, let me mediate. Rugby is trash and Union and League both suck equally.

But good for Sheamus, who I swear I've seen on NBC Sports's PL coverage and maybe on Men in Blazers unless I dreamt it. He's clearly a big fan of sport(s).

He's popped up a few times in his Liverpool kit. Big fans of the Reds. Allez, allez, allez!

• Like 1

Rugby primer for Americans: Imagine Grid Iron, but you don't get a new set of downs every ten years. You get one set of downs to go the whole length of the field. No forward passes ever. Anyone can punt or drop kick (like a field goal) at any time, but you can recover your own punts without the other team having to handle first. If a punt goes out of bounds the kicking team gets a throw in like in soccer. And a Touchdown is called a Try but you have to actually touch it down or it doesn't count. 

Oh, and the "William Webb Ellis invented the game by cheating at soccer" story is propandic bullshit. There's no evidence he ever actually ran with the ball and some evidence that it was an established dirty tactic before he ever started playing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I saw Sheamus a couple months ago on one of the shows when they had this big event in Boston.  He seems pretty damn knowledgeable about soccer and I guess rugby.  And he seemed to have a helluva great time.  If he ends up retiring then unless he finds something to do in WWE I can easily see him as a sports commentator.

I don't follow rugby at all but if it's on TV I'm cool with checking it out.  The World Cup seems like some quality viewing and as long as the action's great then I'm in.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't follow rugby at all but if it's on TV I'm cool with checking it out.  The World Cup seems like some quality viewing and as long as the action's great then I'm in.

New Zealand v South Africa on Saturday, mark your calendar mate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I saw Sheamus a couple months ago on one of the shows when they had this big event in Boston.  He seems pretty damn knowledgeable about soccer and I guess rugby.  And he seemed to have a helluva great time.  If he ends up retiring then unless he finds something to do in WWE I can easily see him as a sports commentator.

I concur with all the above, good doctor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Rugby primer for Americans: Imagine Grid Iron, but you don't get a new set of downs every ten years. You get one set of downs to go the whole length of the field. No forward passes ever. Anyone can punt or drop kick (like a field goal) at any time, but you can recover your own punts without the other team having to handle first. If a punt goes out of bounds the kicking team gets a throw in like in soccer. And a Touchdown is called a Try but you have to actually touch it down or it doesn't count. 

Oh, and the "William Webb Ellis invented the game by cheating at soccer" story is propandic bullshit. There's no evidence he ever actually ran with the ball and some evidence that it was an established dirty tactic before he ever started playing.

How is it determined when a down begins and ends?

26 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Does anybody here have NBC Sports Gold? Does it work with the NBC Sports app on Fire TV? Looks like this is the only legal way to watch the Rugby World Cup in the States.

I have Gold for the Premier League. The app works fine on my iPad and Android phone, can’t speak of the other.

looks like my PL gold doesn’t work with their archives for rugby. 

Edited by odessasteps
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

How is it determined when a down begins and ends?

When the person in possession of the ball is tackled to the ground whilst retaining possession (which is why they try to lateral it in the tiny time window between the opponent committing to the tackle, and the actual contact). Downfield blocking is legal, but the feeling is you want your players behind the ball to receive the laterals when they come.

As soon as a teammate picks the ball up after a tackle, it's live again. Oh, and they call Downs "Tackles" even though that confuses everyone. Scrums happen when referees decide they should, for reasons pertaining to the rules of the game that I don't fully understand.