DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

17 minutes ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Listen, I haven’t been watching the WWE, but I have been reading lots of positive buzz about the ladies these days, more than any other time in recent times. This has been that way since Sasha returned. 

I wonder why, Bliss fans? I wonder why?

SweetJesus.jpg

"Awwww Sweet Jesus!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'll believe that Raw announce team when I see it.

Maddin's good, but saying he's on Raw now bypasses "feasible", bypasses "farfetched", and goes straight to "until I see him on the announce table, I choose to believe this was someone trying to joke with the reporter and saying "you thought the Raw color man will be Graves, BUT IT WAS ME, DIO!!!!"  and the reporter not getting the reference.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Hoo Boy...

EDIT: This coincides with the report that Cole/Graves would be the SDL crew (and also go with the folks who think Renee won't be doing commentary due to the FS1 show)

One reason why we can't have March Madness next year is that I've watched so little WWE this year (and what little I have watched has been on mute) that I don't even have any idea who either of those people are. No idea. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

One reason why we can't have March Madness next year is that I've watched so little WWE this year (and what little I have watched has been on mute) that I don't even have any idea who either of those people are. No idea. 

No clue who Maddin is, but Vic Joseph does the commentary for 205Live, NXT UK. The commentary on both is generally decent though nothing super memorable.

I am gonna have to start a marco for this

Maddin is the former Brennan Williams. He literally just started announcing 205 Live last week (and it seems that they gave up on him as a wrestler)

Fifteen years ago today, @Rev Ray and I ventured out to Rahway for JAPW's anniversary show, including some 20-year-old kid named Kevin Steen working third from the bottom. Get a load of that talent...

Spoiler

Saturday, 2004/09/18
Recreation Center in Rahway, New Jersey (United States of America)

DM Alicia defeated Tara Charisma

DM Ashe Samuels defeated Dan Barry

DM James Newblood defeated Bobby Sills

DM EC Negro defeated Pinkie Sánchez

1 Justice Pain defeated Insane Dragon (7:06 minutes)

2 4-Way Match - JAPW Tag Team Titles Match
    Havok and Dimitrios Papadon (c) defeated Corvis Fear and Rush Margera; Special K (Deranged and Dixie); All Money is Legal (K-Murda and K-Pusha) (6:26 minutes)

3 IWS Heavyweight Title Match
    Kevin Steen (c) defeated eXceSs 69 (15:16 minutes)

4 Super Dragon defeated Beef Wellington (11:03 minutes)

5 Joel Maximo, José Maximo and The Amazing Red vs. Sonjay Dutt, Josh Prohibition and M-Dogg20 ended without a winner as a no contest (10:41 minutes)

6 4-Way Elimination Match - Best Of The Light Heavyweights Match
   Jack Evans defeated Chasyn Rance and El Generico and Grim Reefer

7 JAPW Heavyweight Title Match
    Dan Maff (c) defeated Trent Acid (16:05 minutes)

8 Low-Ki defeated B-Boy (20:54 minutes)

9 No Disqualification Match
    Homicide vs. Teddy Hart ended without a winner as a no contest (7 minutes)

10 Ladder Match - JAPW Light Heavyweight Title Match
    Jay Lethal (c) defeated Azrieal (31:16 minutes)

Average age of the wrestlers: 23.0 years

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Fifteen years ago today, @Rev Ray and I ventured out to Rahway for JAPW's anniversary show, including some 20-year-old kid named Kevin Steen working third from the bottom. Get a load of that talent...

Spoiler

Hide contents

Saturday, 2004/09/18

Havok and Dimitrios Papadon (c) defeated Corvis Fear and Rush Margera; Special K (Deranged and Dixie); All Money is Legal (K-Murda and K-Pusha) (6:26 minutes)

5 Joel Maximo, José Maximo and The Amazing Red vs. Sonjay Dutt, Josh Prohibition and M-Dogg20 ended without a winner as a no contest (10:41 minutes)

Hey, I was at that show!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Listen, I haven’t been watching the WWE, but I have been reading lots of positive buzz about the ladies these days, more than any other time in recent times. This has been that way since Sasha returned. 

Because you read too many Niners Fan posts? When you started the post with "I haven't been watching WWE", you should have stopped typing right there. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't been watching New Japan, but Jay White seems to have gone from being an overpushed nobody to being a solid gold main event wrestling genius in the space of nine months. Is that right, or is it just that one guy on the board really digs him, and everyone else finds him unexceptional?

32 minutes ago, Dewar said:

Because you read too many Niners Fan posts? When you started the post with "I haven't been watching WWE", you should have stopped typing right there. 

I don’t need to watch to see the buzz generated on the World Wide Web for Sasha. Like I never saw Crocodile Dundee, but I remember the buzz about the hip lingo, and Linda Kozlowski in a one piece thong.

23 minutes ago, AxB said:

I haven't been watching New Japan, but Jay White seems to have gone from being an overpushed nobody to being a solid gold main event wrestling genius in the space of nine months. Is that right, or is it just that one guy on the board really digs him, and everyone else finds him unexceptional?

He's really smart but I find his matches lacking a certain drama most of the time. Hopefully that comes. He is exceptional given his age and relative experience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AxB said:

He's got his character down to a T, and knows what to do and when to do it.And he's a tremendous utility you can use anywhere on the card.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AxB said:

He's dedicated to his character, for sure. He isn't a "cool heel" like you might expect from a BC member. Instead he's just a heel that makes you want to see him get his ass kicked. I wouldn't call him an exceptional worker but he's good at what he does. If he keeps getting ring time at a high level, I feel like the work will follow the character. I don't really remember him in ROH or anything so I can't comment on how his character has developed from there though. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Spoiler

Hide contents

Saturday, 2004/09/18

I thought I had this on dvd but looking through my discs, I can't find it. I may have to do the unthinkable and hit up RF.

• Thanks 1

Is there any word on how they are going to be doing PPVs in the FOX/USA era?   I assume they will continue to be both brands but remember Survivor Series where it's the only time RAW and Smackdown superstars face off?  How are they going to build to that if this new era is about exclusive stars and new writing teams and what not?  Also,  would FOX executives for example want their stars to be protected against the other show?  Would they even care about something like that?  

What about the Royal Rumble?  Again I assume it will be both brands competing but you almost would need say if a guy wins the Rumble from RAW then maybe a Smackdown woman wins the Rumble so one show doesn't dominate?   I'm probably thinking way too much about all this but it's interesting to me. 

17 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I have no horse in the Bliss/Banks race - personally I'd rather they used Naomi properly over either of them- but the women's tag belts are arguably at their highest levels of relevance now during this Cross/Bliss run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

I have no horse in the Bliss/Banks race - personally I'd rather they used Naomi properly over either of them- but the women's tag belts are arguably at their highest levels of relevance now during this Cross/Bliss run.

Well I gotta give credit where credit is due for the rise of the women’s tag belts from the dregs it was in when the Iconiics had them. So I’ll give all the rousing congratulations to a most deserving champion. That being one Nikki Cross. 

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Per the new WON

Luke Harper hasn't signed a new deal but the WWE has pretty much decided unless you are on the Colons or Ascension level, they don't want to pay guys to just sit at home. This is why you are suddenly seeing all these returns (Harper, Rusev, AOP, Lio Rush on NXT)

(The fact that they are going back to exclusive rosters and need to produce more content is a big factor in that decision too)

EDIT

The Usos and Sheamus are both ready to return. In those cases it is "having a story" for them

30 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Per the new WON

Luke Harper hasn't signed a new deal but the WWE has pretty much decided unless you are on the Colons or Ascension level, they don't want to pay guys to just sit at home. This is why you are suddenly seeing all these returns (Harper, Rusev, AOP, Lio Rush on NXT)

(The fact that they are going back to exclusive rosters and need to produce more content is a big factor in that decision too)

I know the Colons have Puerto Rico but unless one's injured not sure what Ascenion did to sit at home.  And if it's true that they haven't signed new contracts then that gives back hope to the fact that Rusev and Harper may leave after all.

• Like 2