DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Just looking at that trio gives me the hives. Like even as a wrestling fan, if you saw them sitting at a bar, would you want to go up and say hi? 

Okay, maybe if Ziggler went to the head

I don't know that I'd have a lot to say to Roode or Corbin, but I doubt either of them would be unpleasant to talk to. Ziggler probably would be, since he clearly has an unearned sense of self-importance, but I'd really only be interested in asking him questions about Kennedy.

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Corbin is fucking great, it's just the booking and poor writing that's the problem. Him and Gable have had great interactions in NXT and we know Gable can hit the O'Connor Roll German on him so the match should be fine. King of The Ring is always better for heels, so I'm down for him winning. 

True, It Amazing that alot of these guy show their great personalities or Social media and podcasts you wouldn't know it from the why their booked. Alot of these guys do need stuff written word  for  word. But yeah. Corbin is very self aware, he knows the heat he has with the audience and he plays the Anti Indy guy role well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Chyna did play She Hulk in a movie. But not the sort of movie you would publically admit to having watched, if you get what I'm saying there.

I'd admit it if I had seen. Why should I care?

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Don’t think it’s been brought up, but in the Observer today, Dave said Luke Harper isn’t coming back, he’s being paid to sit at home until April 2020 and supposedly “Vince doesn’t see any value in him and doesn’t want to use him”.

He’ll be 40 when his contract is up and is finally a free agent. Which doesn’t mean much these days, but it’s sad they won’t just let him go. I’m sure asking for your release on twitter doesn’t help, though.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mattdangerously said:

I really feel like the "Baron Corbin is a bad wrestler" takes are going to carry about as much weight 20-30 years from now as the "Lex Luger is a bad wrestler" takes from the 80s and 90s do now.

Speaking as a fan from the 80s & 90s, Mr. Luger did stink when you factor in the constant monster push he received that whole time. He was never effective in-ring except as a mound of muscle. I saw him as he was breaking in in FL and he was green and clumsy and winded. It took him a while to be carryable by most workers and if he improved past that, well, I had lost interest and it certainly took him long enough. I will say this: he paid his dues, he was often over, and he occasionally put asses in seats (he was booked poorly in his inability to dethrone Flair soon enough). McMahon loved him because he stayed huge and was able to beat the tests, but he was never popular in thee House of RAF.

one man's (expert, elitist, genius-level) opinion,

- RAF

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Speaking as a fan from the 80s & 90s, Mr. Luger did stink when you factor in the constant monster push he received that whole time. He was never effective in-ring except as a mound of muscle. I saw him as he was breaking in in FL and he was green and clumsy and winded. It took him a while to be carryable by most workers and if he improved past that, well, I had lost interest and it certainly took him long enough. I will say this: he paid his dues, he was often over, and he occasionally put asses in seats (he was booked poorly in his inability to dethrone Flair soon enough). McMahon loved him because he stayed huge and was able to beat the tests, but he was never popular in thee House of RAF.

one man's (expert, elitist, genius-level) opinion,

- RAF

He was pretty good from 89 until his motorcycle accident. His WWF run was nothing special, but he had a few pretty good years once he returned to WCW in the Nitro era.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Don’t think it’s been brought up, but in the Observer today, Dave said Luke Harper isn’t coming back, he’s being paid to sit at home until April 2020 and supposedly “Vince doesn’t see any value in him and doesn’t want to use him”.

He’ll be 40 when his contract is up and is finally a free agent. Which doesn’t mean much these days, but it’s sad they won’t just let him go. I’m sure asking for your release on twitter doesn’t help, though.

No, the Twitter thing wasn't a smart move. But this is just so stupid and so petty on WWE's part. Let's ignore the fact there are a lot of ways you could use Harper(don't you want to see him on NXT?). But why in the hell are you going to throw money away paying a dude to sit at home? Shit, who tried to kill Roman is already off the charts stupid. Instead of a Rowan look alike, what if that was Harper under the hood? What if Daniel Bryan had no idea Rowan had reached out to his old partner to try to kill the guy they have had issues with going back to the Shield days? Roman is so damn BIG DOG STRONG he challenges them both to a match and beats the shit out of Harper before pulling out the win, and you can segue into Bryan wanting to right Harper because YOU AND ROWAN ARE LYING LIARS WHO LIE and Bryan can beat Harper.

Granted I am not saying any of that is a good idea but you can at least get a few weeks of tv out of it, Vince can "bury" Harper with some high profile losses and we the fans at least get some good matches out of the deal. Its all so dumb

• Like 4

Yeah but losing almost a year of in-ring time isn’t a positive either, especially when he’ll be pushing 40 when he’s finally free from his contract. Let’s not try to spin this like WWE is actively trying to protect his value or whatever by not having him on Main Event putting over talent/“jobbing”.

If I was a stockholder I'd ask on one of those investor calls they do why they are paying a guy who they deem as having "no value" that they "don't want to use". And before anyone says it's to keep competition from using him, I reiterate they think he has NO VALUE. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, Super Ape said:

Thank you, I couldn’t think of what I wanted to compare it to. I dread the death of the PA/NJ indie scene at Vince’s hands.

This is now a war AEW needs to win.

AEW will clear out the indies just as much as WWE, though a successful AEW will result in pro wrestlers allowing indies to come back after a few years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Let’s not try to spin this like WWE is actively trying to protect his value or whatever by not having him on Main Event putting over talent/“jobbing”.

No one was trying to do that. 

I don't think it's fair to gloss over just *how* stupid it was for him to tweet asking for a release during a time that the extremely PR-conscious WWE is newly at war with a rival wrestling organization. If he had been a little more quiet about it, maybe he could have gotten out sooner (remember Dustin was allowed to leave), but publicly trash-talking the company during a very sensitive time is a good way to ensure that you're not going to be let out of your contract. It's true Vince never seemed to see any value in him in the first place, but he somehow managed to carve out a high-profile spot on TV for himself for years before he started taking potshots at his bosses on the internet. 

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Yeah but losing almost a year of in-ring time isn’t a positive either, especially when he’ll be pushing 40 when he’s finally free from his contract. Let’s not try to spin this like WWE is actively trying to protect his value or whatever by not having him on Main Event putting over talent/“jobbing”.

No, I meant that I'm surprised they're not doing more to hurt his value to whoever signs him next year. 

They're all Superstars. Being a WWE Superstar who loses all the time is more prestigious than not being one. In the mind of the guy who decides these things, anyway.

16 hours ago, Infinit said:

From today's WO update:

I just found out that the Emmys on the 22nd and BOLA finals are less than a mile apart head-to-head.

I found this hilarious.

Dave also spent like 7 minutes talking about 90210 yesterday which is cracking me up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Infinit said:

From today's WO update:

I just found out that the Emmys on the 22nd and BOLA finals are less than a mile apart head-to-head.

I found this hilarious.

It's a good warning. L.A. award show traffic is a mess.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

They're all Superstars. Being a WWE Superstar who loses all the time is more prestigious than not being one. In the mind of the guy who decides these things, anyway.

There's other ways to destroy his value beyond just "he loses all the time"...like not just make him lose all the time, but repackage him to the most go-nowhere gimmick possible that'd be the exact opposite of anything valuable for Harper. 

Heck, play into it. You're mad this New York resident can't do a Southern accent? Make Harper the most stereotypical Noo Yawker alive to compensate for it, the type that'd make Vince Russo say "Bro, you're piling it on a little thick there"- that'd absolutely destroy Harper's aura even beyond "he loses all the time.

THAT'S what Vince McMahon would have done if he still had his fastball.

Edited by SorceressKnight

6 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

There's other ways to destroy his value beyond just "he loses all the time"...like not just make him lose all the time, but repackage him to the most go-nowhere gimmick possible that'd be the exact opposite of anything valuable for Harper. 

Heck, play into it. You're mad this New York resident can't do a Southern accent? Make Harper the most stereotypical Noo Yawker alive to compensate for it, the type that'd make Vince Russo say "Bro, you're piling it on a little thick there"- that'd absolutely destroy Harper's aura even beyond "he loses all the time.

THAT'S what Vince McMahon would have done if he still had his fastball.

Bring him in as the Brooklyn Bruiser, Brooklyn Brawler's new protege. He already has the uniform, just scrawl NY on the front with a marker and job him to hell.

• Like 2

Spoiler
“I buried the juice and I will continue to be the US heavyweight champion in this ring.” “Mad Dog” summed up G1! A long interview with John Moxley!

top-7.jpg

A long interview with John Woxley, the former WWE superstar and the current IWGP US heavyweight champion who made his first appearance in G1! Crazy dogs look back on each official game in the harsh summer!

In addition, on October 14 (Monday / holiday), the declaration of war to the challenger Juice Robinson, who will play in the “No DQ Match” in the Ryogoku Tournament and the IWGP US Heavyweight Championship!

For smartphone site members, click here!

* Hereafter, the “early part” of the interview will be released on the website for free!

■ They wanted to gain fame by defeating me

03-27.jpg

--Now, Moxley. Was it your first appearance in the “G1 CLIMAX” series, the most harsh series in the world?

Moxley That's right. To be honest, “G1 CLIMAX 29” was personally the most difficult series in my career.

-Was it the hardest part of your career?

Moxley That's right. Moreover, there were no moments when the harshness eased. “G1” doesn't allow you to do your best today and let's get a little off tomorrow. I'll always run through for 4 or 5 weeks.

――There was no day to get out of your mind.

Moxley Oh. In this industry, you can often become a top wrestler in the long run if you perform a performance that impresses your fans and wins the game. So after the game you want to relax by taking a light break or fishing in the refrigerator and eating something? But even with one game in G1, there are still plenty of official games, 5, 6, and 7 games. Moreover, every opponent will challenge me with a darling manman, "Let's hurt this top wrestler!"

――All the people in the same block have smashed Moxley with full power.

Moxley Oh. Every player has made a violent attack to drive me out of New Japan and G1. They wanted to get fame by defeating me. So I felt like I was carrying a big target behind me during the G1 period. That's why I tried to fight hard from me before they got ready for war.

--So that's it. I did it before it was done.

Moxley What is the result? There was no guy who wasn't injured when I got down the ring. Perhaps there was a Yano (Yano Dori) Yarrow, or a player who did not take much damage, but after fighting with me in the ring, everyone said, “We were fighting on the battlefield?” It was a series of hard games that seemed like an illusion.

■ Ishii was the perfect opponent for me. It was the moment when I felt the purest feelings of my professional wrestling life.

9_09-5.jpg

―― What is the most impressive game in G1?

Moxley The first main event in Japan was (September 5) when I fought Tomohiro Ishii (Tomohiro Ishii) in Korakuen Hall. It was my first Korakuen Hall tournament for me, and I felt some kind of pressure to fight the main event at that historic venue.

-Was the main of Korakuen Hall exceptional?

Moxley If it was a big failure in that match, the subsequent G1 match would not have worked. It was the first main event that showed its true ability and won the game. That was really important to me.

――The battle with Ishii was one of your own battles.

Moxley That's right. Ishii was really the perfect opponent for me. In the first place, I hate to bring strange tricks, gimmicks, and other guys into the game. I hate playing with each other! I just want to fight in a simple 1vs1. On the ring, one of them will fall down, whichever will fight faster. Even though it ’s such a place, I do n’t want to think about intrusion from outside or a little bit.

-Anyway, I wanted to collide from the front.

Moxley Oh. I only want to fight. Two men start to fight each other in the middle of the ring, saying, “Tame is fucking shit, this shit!” It's just that. And the person who can do that was Ishii. We were the perfect opponents for you. Two of us showed off a very beautiful violence to our fans (Grinning).

This is the translated version of the Jon Moxley interview on the NJPW website. If you love mangled English, you will be rolling on the floor reading this. 

BEAUTIFUL VIOLENCE!

EDIT: Also, if you just think this is funny because you're racist, please FOAD. Humor has subtleties beyond your perception of the world. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1