DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

To say "AEW HAS to win this war" is over-reacting (as @Super Ape did)

If you want to bemoan the downfall of wrestling the specific way you like to consume it - that is a different story.

But that is a far cry from "wrestling is over"

Say AEW's "wins" - which IF happens won't be for a decade (decades). (As repeatedly mentioned - the core WWE audience is enough to keep on USA for a long time because it will still be the most successful program they have.) And by then, AEW will have to do similar things that the WWE is doing/has done to keep their place. (And almost any corporation will do). It's not like the NFL doesn't try to squash any league that challenges them. God indie feds will cannibalize each other just to be successful in their tiny ass towns

Heck - AEW is already doing it since most of their guys won't be working indie dates once TV starts (or only "approved" feds. Which is exactly what the WWE is doing)

And that isn't factoring all the other permutations that could happen (Sinclair could finally care about ROH, Anthem could buy ROH, New Japan actually gets it foothold, another billionarie money mark starts their own fed)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

In case anyone ever wondered - the success (or failure) of the DVDVR promoted card was going to be based on how many wrestler friends of Raven Mack would be willing to work for just weed

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

55 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

In case anyone ever wondered - the success (or failure) of the DVDVR promoted card was going to be based on how many wrestler friends of Raven Mack would be willing to work for just weed

Oh shit! Whatever happened to Raven Mack. I loved reading his stuff. 

If if I ever get rich, I’m hiring Ben (I think it was Ben) to book and we’re finally getting Bunkhouse Buck vs the Hobo Army. 

• Like 3

Fuuuuuck, Tenryu has been having a rough year health-wise. From the Observer newsletter:

Genichiro Tenryu, 69, a Hall of Famer and genuine legend in pro wrestling, has suffered a loss of motor skills and balance due to a cerebellar infarction, which came from the after effects of a stroke.

Tenryu Project, his company, made the announcement on 9/9, that he was diagnosed shortly after being hospitalized in April first for not feeling well. He has been hospitalized a few times since that point. He is currently out of the hospital.

In the release sent by his company, he was quoted as saying that he is stable and active and wanted to make his condition public in an effort to raise awareness and give hope to others with similar conditions.

A cerebellar infarction involves the posterior cranial fossa, which reduces oxygen delivery to the brain and causes issues with motor control and balance. It is more dangerous than most strokes, with a 23 percent rate of death.

One of the all time greats and the monicker Mr. Wrestling is so well earned with how he did pretty much every style that came to Japan.

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

On 9/11/2019 at 11:40 AM, RIPPA said:

McKenzie Mitchell announced that she has been hired by the WWE to be an on-air host

Some of you might remember her when she had a similar role on Impact

My favorite backstage interviewer in this era, great signing.

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I believe he also went by Jack Hart.

He was Jack Hart in Florida. He was the jobber who never won. They made a big deal about his losing streak, and then Percy Pringle gave him a loaded glove and he wins his first match and I think he won a belt, joining Pringle's Army. It was the same angle, basically, as him and Candido.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

He was Jack Hart in Florida. He was the jobber who never won. They made a big deal about his losing streak, and then Percy Pringle gave him a loaded glove and he wins his first match and I think he won a belt, joining Pringle's Army. It was the same angle, basically, as him and Candido.

He did a similar angle in the GWF, then selling VHS copies of his win and going by "The Winner" Barry Horowitz. I believe he also won the light heavyweight title.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Folks were pointing out that that trademark is specifically because people were spelling it wrong.

The issue is that there doesnt seem to be a trademark on Io

I’m not sure what her inspiration / derivation was for the Io name but, if it was western, in Greek mythology Io was ‘courted’ by Zeus (he of the legendary lechery) and turned into a cow as revenge by Zeus’ wife Hera. So it’s a curious choice. Of course like most Greek/Roman deities there is a heavenly body named after Io (one of Jupiters moons, not Dr Tom’s less sleazy tag partner) so she may heard it and thought it sounded cool.

Yes, that Classics degree definitely paid off...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1