DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

8 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Thank you, I couldn’t think of what I wanted to compare it to. I dread the death of the PA/NJ indie scene at Vince’s hands.

This is now a war AEW needs to win.

I'll put it like this.  When it was just the DC show announced I was more than willing to pay whatever to go to their show.  Then Baltimore was announced and as much as it's breaking the bank I was also more than willing to pay whatever to get there.  And that's with one being nosebleeds and the other being in the 200s section but between the price and fucking Ticketmaster it adds up.  So they might not need my money for the time being but if that plus getting the word out to whoever lapsed fans are willing to listen helps then I'll gonna do it.  And what's bad is I didn't mean to be such a AEW fanboy but the way things are I guess I just can't help it.

So long story short you're not alone and as long as things play out like they are then the next year or two are going to be very fucking wild.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

According to Mike Johnson, along with promotions like Evolve, ICW and Progress being in the new tiered version of the Network (January 2020 supposedly) - they've reached out to Mexican promotions (likely The Crash), and motherfucking CHIKARA.

If this means my Chikara stuff (Best of 2002, Best of 2003 and Young Lions Cup 2) makes it to the WWE Network, I'm going to have to give this idea a thumbs up.

• Like 2

A ratings note from the new WON

It looks like WWE, UFC and Bellator will have at least a temporary reprieve from their ratings declines, and other sports like the NFL and NBA will have an illusion of a turnaround late next year.

Nielsen has announced that ratings will be changing next year and they will be measuring viewing outside the home, in places like bars, airports and offices as well as other areas.

Nielsen has been testing out doing ratings of out-of-home viewing and has found that sports events in particular, with sports bars, will increase an average of 11 percent with the added viewership. As a general rule, news shows, often watched in airports and offices, would increase on average about seven percent. For example, this past Super Bowl in February would go from 101 million viewers to 113 million under the new system.

I know that a cheaper tier has been discussed, but the WWE network is at risk of being undercut on price. Apple+ is only 4.99, Disney+ is going to only be a little more, and Hulu (which carries WWE shows as of now) is also cheaper. Disney at least will likely have much more wide-ranging content, so it will be interesting to see if WWE can afford to offer a niche streaming service at its current price, especially now that the network, this man years in, has essentially eroded away the importance of PPVs. 

Disney and Apple's services won't stay that low for long. Besides, how much lower can you get than free with the WWE Network? Even with a pricing change, I doubt they stop offering the network's standard paid tier for free.

1 minute ago, mattdangerously said:

I've been rolling my eyes so hard over the past two pages I think I gave myself CTE.

*breaks a fake WWE cinderblock over your head*

Now you do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Disney and Apple's services won't stay that low for long. Besides, how much lower can you get than free with the WWE Network? Even with a pricing change, I doubt they stop offering the network's standard paid tier for free.

From what I can piece together from Verge's piece about the Network with George Barrios, the free tier would replace the "one month free" thing because they'd offer timed content for the free tier so you could preview the service. Obviously there wouldn't be a contract still, so anyone could cancel at any time, but I think WWE is well aware of what people are doing and how their subscriptions peak around certain times.

Free: This will offer the same free-to-watch videos you’d normally find on WWE.com. Barrios said WWE might also offer timed previews of paid WWE Network content.

Regular: The standard WWE Network experience, combining free content with subscription benefits like live pay-per-views, on-demand streaming, and original programming.

Premium: “We think there’s also an opportunity to super-serve our most passionate Network subscribers with a premium tier that’ll bring together more content for them, more features for them, and also integrating some of our other non-video services like our commerce — potentially integrating something like free shipping, bringing together our digital ticketing efforts in there. It becomes the one place to experience everything WWE.” Barrios didn’t disclose how much WWE might charge for the premium tier.

The premium tier is stuff we've already heard about before, and combine all of that with the different indie companies streaming live/having their libraries as well, and that's what you're likely to end up with.

Edited by Casey

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God Bless you board

You never fail to bring the over-dramatic

I have a name

2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

How can you be so nonchalant about the impending demise of professional wrestling?

This, but unironically.

Edited by Super Ape

1 hour ago, Casey said:

From what I can piece together from Verge's piece about the Network with George Barrios, the free tier would replace the "one month free" thing because they'd offer timed content for the free tier so you could preview the service

So the free tier might be like the old WWE Classics OnDemand thing they used to have on cable?  That would be allright.

15 hours ago, Super Ape said:

I’m going to be sick.If this means CHIKARA gets on the same “we can buy you out and close you” deal that Progress and ICW are on, then the Philly-area indie scene is FUCKED and I’m out of a hobby completely.

Didn't you just say the other day you were cheering for the death of American wrestling?

Is CZW still in business? I think of them as Philadelphia based (even though DJ Hyde mostly runs major shows in his parents' back yard in Delaware).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

A ratings note from the new WON

I would not put Bellator on that list because Bellator is doing all their major shows on DAZN anyway and there wasn't a whole bunch of interest in Bellator before that either. I think UFC will go up unless there is something that drastically changed with the sports bar situation.

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

God Bless you board

You never fail to bring the over-dramatic

What might seem over-dramatic to some, might not to another. I like you Rippa, but I find it extremely dismissive to just label it as people overreacting. For some, going to shows is more than just watching wrestling. It can be the camaraderie of interacting with other fans and friendships forming out of said meetings. ROH going from Gabe to Adam Pearce felt like that for me. Everything I looked forward to from the shows was gone. I chose not to support the changes because quite frankly, the product became very watered down with terrible booking. It only continued to get worse when SBG got involved, especially when New Japan isn't involved in their shows. ROH now might as well be a WWE minor league fed. That's exactly how it feels.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AxB said:

Didn't you just say the other day you were cheering for the death of American wrestling?

Is CZW still in business? I think of them as Philadelphia based (even though DJ Hyde mostly runs major shows in his parents' back yard in Delaware).

1.) In jest, yes.

2.) Two small problems there; a, I go to shows with my kid. CZW ain’t exactly kid friendly. And b, DJ Hyde is a fucking moron who has no business running a company and who looked like a complete bitch calling cops on GCW for some of their death match shows in Jersey.

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Considering there was a mat that in theory would have helped with it I hope not.  But given how his head went I wouldn't be surprised if something came of that.

For all the shit Ortega talks about boxers on his Twitter, he looks like a goddamn pre-teen.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What might seem over-dramatic to some, might not to another. I like you Rippa, but I find it extremely dismissive to just label it as people overreacting. For some, going to shows is more than just watching wrestling. It can be the camaraderie of interacting with other fans and friendships forming out of said meetings. ROH going from Gabe to Adam Pearce felt like that for me. Everything I looked forward to from the shows was gone. I chose not to support the changes because quite frankly, the product became very wateres down. It only continued to get worse when SBG got involved, especially when New Japan isn't involved in their shows. ROH now might as well be a WWE minor league fed. That's exaxtly how it feels.

But you're not a real fan unless you'd take a bullet for Cody Rhodes.

• Haha 1