DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

According to Mike Johnson, along with promotions like Evolve, ICW and Progress being in the new tiered version of the Network (January 2020 supposedly) - they've reached out to Mexican promotions (likely The Crash), and motherfucking CHIKARA.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Casey said:

According to Mike Johnson, along with promotions like Evolve, ICW and Progress being in the new tiered version of the Network (January 2020 supposedly) - they've reached out to Mexican promotions (likely The Crash), and motherfucking CHIKARA.

I’m going to be sick.If this means CHIKARA gets on the same “we can buy you out and close you” deal that Progress and ICW are on, then the Philly-area indie scene is FUCKED and I’m out of a hobby completely.

Edited by Super Ape
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, nate said:

I had hopes of AEW working with Chikara.

Same. Weird how that one article radicalized me from “I’m All Elite, I guess...” to “I will take a bullet for Cody, death to WWE” like THAT.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ringside: $300
Arena A: $200
Arena B: $100
Arena  $80
Dress Circle A: $100
Dress Circle B: $80
Dress Circle  $50
Dress Circle  $30
Balcony $100
Balcony $80
Balcony  $50
Balcony  $30

Not sure this deserves its own thread, or would be good in the general puro thread (there should be a general new japan thread). But these tickets go on sale Friday. The ticket prices are so off, it’s gonna be like 2200 capacity and the physical difference between the $30 tickets and the $100 tickets is hilarious. I thought it would sell out for sure, but now with the ticket prices I doubt it will. 

Also noteworthy it’s the same night as the next aew ppv, although neither show will be keeping fans from buying tickets to the other. 

Also I’m bringing two lapsed fans to this show! I’m improving my game but I think I’ve maxed out with my group of friends haha. 

1 hour ago, nate said:

I had hopes of AEW working with Chikara.

That would have been cool.

1 hour ago, Super Ape said:

Same. Weird how that one article radicalized me from “I’m All Elite, I guess...” to “I will take a bullet for Cody, death to WWE” like THAT.

I was All In and I'm All Elite. While I don't wish death on WWE since they employ so many guys I liked prior to them going to the 'E, I haven't been interested in anything on the main roster since Royal Rumble-Wrestlemania. I realize nothing will actually change while Vince is alive, so what's the point? There's more than enough wrestling out there, so not watching WWE doesn't make a difference to me.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 7

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That would have been cool.

I was All In and I'm All Elite. While I don't wish death on WWE since they employ so many guys I liked prior to them going to the 'E, I haven't been interested in anything on the main roster since Royal Rumble-Wrestlemania. I realize nothing will actually change while Vince is alive, so what's the point? There's more than enough wrestling out there, so not watching WWE doesn't make a difference to me.

You’re right on all points.

I just worry that WWE wants to take over everything so you CAN’T watch anything not under their banner, and when that happens? I’m done.

3 minutes ago, Super Ape said:

You’re right on all points.

I just worry that WWE wants to take over everything so you CAN’T watch anything not under their banner, and when that happens? I’m done.

This must be what it felt like when Vince was cleaning out the territories. I feel bad for people who were really into the UK wrestling scene.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I don't understand why Sid doesn't offer a package to us marks where you can spend the day with him, you end up playing a game of softball with him, you get a fist bump, something happens to the rental car, you get a filmed acknowledgement confirming he has half the brain you do, maybe your very own Bodyglove arm guard.

And once the money clears, he no shows anyway. I'd still pay.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

I don't understand why Sid doesn't offer a package to us marks where you can spend the day with him, you end up playing a game of softball with him, you get a fist bump, something happens to the rental car, you get a filmed acknowledgement confirming he has half the brain you do, maybe your very own Bodyglove arm guard.

I'd like to see Sid run over Bette Midler playing softball in the park.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yes but the opening segment was about 20 minutes so I think the first hour would be way higher if people tuned in,  got their Austin fix and dipped.  It appears that most people didn't bother to tune in at all. 

I went to check this (Meltzer naturally covered it) and: 

The most notable thing is that the Austin segment should have been held for later in the episode, as Raw opened well in the first quarter, fell once Austin left, and continued to decline the rest of the show...

The first-to-third hour drop, largely due to Austin, was the sixth worst in history at 21.9 percent. The audience was down 22.3 percent from last year's first show against Monday Night Football.

So while the number would have been down even if Austin was saved for later, it looks like there was a pretty significant drop-off. Also if one wants to go full conspiracy neither Monday Night Football game in week one of 2018 was particularly competitive while the early game this week at the very least had as good a finish as you will ever see... but I think that'd be a bit of a stretch.

12 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This must be what it felt like when Vince was cleaning out the territories. I feel bad for people who were really into the UK wrestling scene.

Thank you, I couldn’t think of what I wanted to compare it to. I dread the death of the PA/NJ indie scene at Vince’s hands.

This is now a war AEW needs to win.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Once Sid reaches first base, he menacingly screams "I'M THE MASTAH!" as he clenches his fist. He subsequently does this for second and third base until he reaches home where he shouts, "I'm the ruler of the world!" and does his trademark sudden head turn left to right. That's the only way I'm in.

• Like 4

You should be able to wait for Sid at home while he runs the bases, and congratulate him with fist bumps as he crosses the plate.

I love how over a dude from West Memphis, Arkansas was in my neck of the woods.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As a Progress season ticket holder, the final straw was their August show, where they gave us Nina Samuels in the main event. It wasn't even that bad, but it was still essentially a 12 minute TV match, with Nina Samuels. Their card for this Sunday is incredible on paper, but it's full of NXT/NXT UK guys making one off returns, with most of the regulars in a battle royale, or main eventing their smaller show the previous day, so I'm gonna go to football instead. The September shows are never included in the season ticket, and while I can't blame them for selling out, I don't want to reward it anymore either.

• Like 1

They have three owners, and Jim Smallman now works for WWE UK. I have no idea what's in it for the other two, but I presume they play nice in exchange for getting a selection of their old stars back for big shows, and the promise of eventually getting paid something to be on the Network.

8 hours ago, Super Ape said:

Thank you, I couldn’t think of what I wanted to compare it to. I dread the death of the PA/NJ indie scene at Vince’s hands.

This is now a war AEW needs to win.

So it's not a war so much as... maybe the Indian Mutiny?