DVDVR Message Board

[SEPT 2019] WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Here's a question for ya: is it impossible to call a match in the ring now (as in calling spots in response to the crowd) like used to be done into the 90s?

With fans ironically chanting/trying to get themselves over/sitting on their hands in bemusement until a big spot I can't imagine how you'd do it.

5 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

Here's a question for ya: is it impossible to call a match in the ring now (as in calling spots in response to the crowd) like used to be done into the 90s?

With fans ironically chanting/trying to get themselves over/sitting on their hands in bemusement until a big spot I can't imagine how you'd do it.

I saw a No Way Jose vs Elias match at a NXT house show with @odessasteps back in 2016 which was headlock based and almost certainly the timing of it, at least, was based on crowd reaction. It was a good crowd that was playing along and they worked it well to good effect.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

As much as I want it to be Joe, I think it's gonna be Ricochet. I mean, he already has a crown, he's  comfortable wearing a crown, seems like a no-brainer. ?

Or, maybe they do go with Joe beating Corbin to keep this "Joe doesn't care who he beats up" deal going that I think is a slow face turn, or tweener turn.  

But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Cedrick beat Corbin and face Joe, or have a face vs face " Amazing match" with Ricochet.

Spoiler

20190826_RAW_CorbinThrone__5531c8465ce68

You should know better.

When Shawn tried the crown on and it was too big for him, everyone knew he wasn't winning, and Mabel was the biggest guy in the field. Made it a bit obvious he was winning it. Baron Corbin tried the crown on, and it's too small for his massive fat head.

I don’t have any data on Xavier, but I feel like ROH never really tested his drawing power.  The only show he main evented as champ was when he lost the belt to Joe.  Every other show, he was underneath a special attraction match or the real headliner was a tournament final (or something) to determine who would challenge him, like Ki/Styles/London at the first anniversary.

• Like 1

Back then, all I remember thinking was that Xavier sucked as a champ and the person who should have been champ back then was Daniels. Daniels was by far one of the most over guys in the promotion, he was excellent on the mic, excellent on the ring, and they crowned Xavier because who the hell knows why.

Justin Credible as ECW champion also sucked. Credible did a real shitty Ric Flair act, I thought Lance Storm was the better guy in that group, he definitely didn't help business wise (but it's not like anything really would help at that point). Meanwhile, you had RVD being the most over guy in the company just messing around with the TV title for what felt like forever.

Xavier got it over Daniels for the same reason AJ never got the RoH belt, same reason it was taken off Ki... Xavier wasn't working for TNA at the time, Daniels and Ki were, and Ki was off to NJPW.  

5 minutes ago, Raziel said:

Xavier got it over Daniels for the same reason AJ never got the RoH belt, same reason it was taken off Ki... Xavier wasn't working for TNA at the time, Daniels and Ki were, and Ki was off to NJPW.  

Holy shit...TNA was alive at that time? My timeline in my head is all messed up then because I was thinking that was all before TNA.

12 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit...TNA was alive at that time? My timeline in my head is all messed up then because I was thinking that was all before TNA.

RoH started a few months before TNA did, but RoH didn't crown their champ until July. and TNA opened up with the NWA Belts in June and with the PPV's.  Gabe wasn't interested in putting the belt on people that were working for TNA because their contracts with TNA had them able to work wherever as long as it didn't conflict with a TNA taping and/or people TNA allowed (which is why they lost Daniels, AJ, and a couple others when lol18-gate happened, TNA just outright disallowed people to work for RoH).

But yeah, XXX was already well established and had snagged a Tag/X belt or two by the time Xavier's reign came around, and Daniels was still teaming regularly with Skipper on Wednesdays.

Remember The Rise and Fall of ECW doc, where Paul E. said they took all his talent until all he had left was Rob? Guess who didn't get mentioned? And guess who didn't get either interviewed or mentioned AT ALL by anyone in either that doc or the other one that had Sabu and all the guys that weren't in the WWE one? 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Remember The Rise and Fall of ECW doc, where Paul E. said they took all his talent until all he had left was Rob? Guess who didn't get mentioned? And guess who didn't get either interviewed or mentioned AT ALL by anyone in either that doc or the other one that had Sabu and all the guys that weren't in the WWE one? 

Do you think that could be due to Credible's life being such a mess?

4 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I don't know anything about that in all honesty. Was he all pilled up or something?

Credible admitted to having drug issues which I believe was around that time so I could see why they couldn't say anything.  Thankfully he's doing much better now.

2 hours ago, Raziel said:

I put Xavier over on commentary as much as I could, and he seemed to be improving. Those ROH main events sold themselves without the title, and Xavier's matches were improved by the ROH title being on the line. 

37 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I put Xavier over on commentary as much as I could, and he seemed to be improving. Those ROH main events sold themselves without the title, and Xavier's matches were improved by the ROH title being on the line. 

I get the mindset behind this, but I disagree with it on a principle that it just doesn’t work in almost any match that doesn’t involve Paul London, it just makes the title seem unimportant. The funny thing is by late 2003 Xavier was one of their best undercard workers, but the booking had already given up on him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

I get the mindset behind this, but I disagree with it on a principle that it just doesn’t work in almost any match that doesn’t involve Paul London, it just makes the title seem unimportant. The funny thing is by late 2003 Xavier was one of their best undercard workers, but the booking had already given up on him.

I dunno, Xavier gets a bad rap.  His little 2 show story of Jay Bricoe getting a pin on him non-title then Xavier barely defends, then goes into 2 defenses against London then AJ, he had a good little reign, it just was started off by a really bad win and him not really being able to go vs. Joe in the switch.  Really, the Switch with Ki didn't help because Ki was Ki and did that 5 minute crawl back to the ring after Daniels nuked him.

• Like 1