DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

Thoughts on Rebellion 2000 (UK-only PPV)

Jim Ross and Tazz announced this show together, not long after they smashed glass into each other's eyes. Commissioner Mick Foley seemed to make every PPV main event a no-DQ match.

T&A wore the T&APA shirts again, and they still weren't wrestling The Acolytes. Instead, they faced the Dudleys and Edge & Christian in an elimination tables match. Fortunately, the Dudleys won.

Right to Censor kept the belts away from Team Extreme (Ivory over Lita, Bull & Goodfather over Hardys) after interference by Steven Richards and Val Venis, respectively. Venis went from IC champion to backing up the tag team champs in just a few months.

William Regal is the MVP. He turned his hometown crowd against him with a backstage promo and another one in the ring. He did a great job, because the crowd popped when Crash Holly beat him for the European title.

Kane won Round 2 of his feud with Chris Jericho, but Y2J came after Kane again after the match. 

The Radicals attacked Undertaker's knee before the match, and Chris Benoit delivered a top-rope headbutt to the knee, but Undertaker still beat him.

Kurt Angle retained the WWF title in the main event against Steve Austin, Rock and Rikishi. The Radicals attacked Austin, Edge & Christian occupied The Rock, and Angle pinned Rikishi with the Olympic Slam. Angle lost so many matches in 2000, but Angle as champion felt so right.

• Like 1

I figure part of the guest list has to do with just longevity. Taker, Goldberg, Kane, and Show are all guys who are somewhat active from the 90's. Which means Triple H and... Maybe Edge? That could be interesting.

Rock would, of course, be awesome. Seems like they could make it happen, pretty sure the show is filmec in L.A. and we know Rock is in town pretty often.

Thoughts on Armageddon 2000

Lita faced Dean Malenko at the end of the opening elimination match. They had an ill-fated date three days earlier in which Dean's wedding ring became a bone of contention. Malenko made Lita tap, but the point was that Lita could "hang with the guys" like Chyna.

Speaking of Chyna, she lost to Val Venis due to Ivory's interference. Chyna had instructed Billy Gunn not to be in her corner because she could handle things by herself.

Raven helped William Regal retain the European title over Hardcore Holly. Why?

The tag team titles bounced from heels to heels as Edge & Christian won Right To Censor's belts in a four-way. This was Edge & Christian's fourth tag team title reign, which I believe was a new record at the time.

Billy Gunn came out with the IC title, so it seemed they were going to try him one more time as a singles star. Nope, Chris Benoit made him tap to the Crossface.

Chris Jericho finally got a win over Kane. Despite the storyline, fans didn't really think of Jericho as a "pretty boy," but he certainly earned his "tough guy" cred by beating Kane in a Last Man Standing match. We also saw the first "bury your opponent under heavy objects" finish in this type of match.

Ivory retained the women's title over Molly and Trish in a quick match that also featured a quick series of run-ins. Here comes T&A! Here comes Crash! Here comes the APA to get revenge for the "T&APA" shirts!

The entire show was devoted to how dangerous the Hell in a Cell match was, and how it could shorten or end somebody's career. This was effective, but it created two problems. First of all, the fans have already bought the show. Second, they set the "danger bar" way too high. Vince McMahon, attempting to protect his stars as "investments,"  even brought a construction truck to dismantle the Cell before Mick Foley had him thrown out of the building. Kurt Angle retained the WWF title over Austin, Rock, Taker, Rikishi and Triple H. Rikishi wins the MVP for taking a bump off the Cell into the truck. Fortunately, it was filled with dog kennel bedding, rather than auto parts or broken glass.

• Like 1

So I watched the first episode of Ruthless Aggression.  I mean it wasn't the same way of revisionist history as the Monday Night War was but the selling of the "Get the F out" story is high level WWE bullshit.  Yeah I am sure they changed the name to the WWE because they needed a kick in the ass with Austin & Rock missing

Also found it really funny that Jim Cornette was on the show in what looked to be a rather new interview talking about OVW.   I guess it was the lesser to two things that I hate

Edited by hammerva

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yeah I am sure they changed the name to the WWE because they needed a kick in the ass with Austin & Rock missing

That is one of the most ridiculous things they have said in their documentaries. Seriously, why would you (try to) say something like this? Anybody who as around back then, no matter if they were on the internet (or even read dirtsheets) or not, should know the truth about that. For Christ's sake, they had to (or at least did) censor all references to "WWF" when releasing older footage for 10+ years.

It's not something they would care about, but I wonder if there is video of the ECW dinner/banquet from the night before the first PPV.

We went to that and my main takeaway was watching how polite Taz and Saturn with their wives/girlfriends. 

• Like 1

If that was the Terry Funk Roast/Banquet then I think parts of it are up in the Hidden Gems section.  Or maybe specifically everything except New Jack.  Which I seem to remember being the funniest part of it

Watched the 2nd episode of Ruthless Aggression and this one was much better because of John Cena's brutal honesty about the beginnings of his career.  Even admitting that he was planned on being released until an impromptu freestyle rap on a Smackdown bus changed everything

Edited by hammerva

Thoughts on Royal Rumble 2001

The Dudleys cut through Edge & Christian's chicanery to win the WWF tag team title. Chris Jericho followed up by winning the IC title in a ladder match over Chris Benoit to start the PPV with a pair of feel-good moments.

However, it didn't feel good to watch that ladder match in retrospect. Benoit did a tope, only to be greeted by a home-run chairshot from Jericho. After that, Jericho smashed Benoit in the head with the ladder on at least five occasions. In addition, Benoit missed a headbutt from the top of the ladder, which  would have hurt him even if it had connected. 

Then we go to Chyna's neck injury during her match against Ivory. We were supposed to feel sympathetic, but she made another bad decision by returning against doctor's orders.

Stone Cold and Triple H were destined for another epic battle because they continued to interfere in each other's matches. Austin caused HHH to lose his WWF title match against Kurt Angle. Hunter tried to return the favor by busting Stone Cold open during the Rumble, but Austin prevailed anyway to become the only three-time Royal Rumble winner.

Drew Carey and Honky Tonk Man were fun additions to the Royal Rumble, but you also have to love WCW Hardcore champion Haku coming in at No. 29. Looks like someone's contract expired!

Kane is the MVP of the Rumble and the entire show.  He lasted an amazing 53 minutes, coming in at No. 5 and lasting all the way until the end. He even dumped out The Rock before finally getting clotheslined over the top by Stone Cold.

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Not only is it not impressive it seems to have pieces missing.  Some of these shows are 90 minutes or less.   But I am glad they are putting more classics stuff.  

A lot of those commercial releases were actually around 90 minutes in their original format. Remember that if something was bad Paul E would edit it out.

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The New Jack speech is definitely on Youtube if you want to watch it. 

I looked at the lineups Wiki had for most of those supercards and aside from a Foley/Funk match I've never seen, nothing looked particularly awesome. 

Um, for starters Hostile City Showdown has a Dean-Eddie match that was among the greatest American matches of the 90's.

• Like 2

Here's the cards with spoilers. In descending order and missing the Tag Wars, Enter the Sandman and BW Hoodies and Chokeslams cards. 

Spoiler

No.ResultsStipulationsTimes

1Herve Rinesto and Don E. Allen fought to a no contestSingles match1:30

2Jimmy Snuka (c) defeated J.T. SmithSingles match for the ECW Television Championship5:36

3Tony Stetson defeated Larry Winters by referee stoppageFirst Blood match5:37

4Miss Peaches defeated Terrible TigraCatfight humiliation match3:37

5Jimmy Snuka (c) (with Paul E. Dangerously) defeated Tommy CairoSingles match for the ECW Television Championship6:08

6Rockin' Rebel defeated The SandmanPhiladelphia Street Fight5:13

7Dick Murdoch defeated Dark Patriot II (with Paul E. Dangerously)Singles match5:40

8Sal Bellomo, Stevie Wonderful and Super Destroyer #1 defeated The Suicide Blondes (Johnny Hotbody and Sir Richard Michaels) and Hunter Q. Robbins IIISix-man tag team match10:09

9Eddie Gilbert (with Paul E. Dangerously) defeated Terry FunkTexas Chain Match Massacre for the title of "King of Philadelphia"17:16

(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match

1The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock) defeated Ian Rotten and Jason KnightTag team match4:38

2Tony Stetson (c) (with Hunter Q. Robbins III) defeated Tommy CairoSingles match for the ECW Pennsylvania Championship7:30

3Super Destroyer #1 defeated Super Destroyer #2Mask vs. mask match6:25

4The Dark Patriot defeated J.T. SmithScaffold match6:32

5Terry Funk and Stan Hansen defeated Kevin Sullivan and Abdullah the Butcher by disqualificationBunkhouse match7:30

6Tigra defeated Angel, Don E. Allen, Hunter Q. Robbins III, Jay Sulli, and Sensational SherriBattle royal3:46

7Salvatore Bellomo (with Sensational Sherri) defeated Sir Richard Michaels (with Hunter Q. Robbins III)Strap match7:18

8Shane Douglas (c) defeated The SandmanSingles match for the ECW Heavyweight Championship8:15

9The Headhunters (Headhunter A and Headhunter B) defeated Miguelito Perez and Crash the TerminatorBaseball Bat match8:59

1Salvatore Bellomo defeated Rockin' Rebel by forfeitChairs matchN/A

2The Sandman fought Jim Neidhart to a no-contestSingles match6:07

3The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge) defeated Badd Company (Pat Tanaka and Paul Diamond)Tag team match, South Philly Hood match16:40

4Kevin Sullivan defeated Tommy CairoSingles match2:15

5Malia Hosaka defeated Sherri Martel by disqualificationSingles match6:00

6The Suicide Blondes (Johnny Hotbody and Tony Stetson) (c) defeated The Bad Breed (Axl Rotten and Ian Rotten)Tag team match for the ECW Tag Team Championship6:11

7Johnny Gunn and Tommy Dreamer defeated The Suicide Blondes (Johnny Hotbody and Tony Stetson) (c)Tag team match for the ECW Tag Team Championship0:09

8The Tazmaniac defeated Tommy DreamerSingles match7:00

9Mr. Hughes defeated Johnny GunnSingles match9:40

10Sabu (c - World Heavyweight) and Road Warrior Hawk defeated Terry Funk (c - World Television) and King Kong BundyWinner Takes All match for the ECW Heavyweight Championship and the ECW Television Championship12:00

1Jason the Terrible and The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 and Pitbull #2) (with Jason) defeated Hack Meyers and The Young Dragons (Young Dragon #1 and Young Dragon #2)Six-man tag team match11:20

2Tommy Dreamer defeated Stevie Richards (with Raven)Singles match07:38

3Mikey Whipwreck defeated Paul Lauria (with Jason)Singles match09:17

4Ian Rotten defeated Axl RottenSingles match06:41

5Chris Benoit defeated Al SnowSingles match14:36

6Shane Douglas (c) defeated Tully BlanchardSingles match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship09:26

7Cactus Jack defeated The Sandman (with Woman)Texas Death match15:46

8Sabu and The Tazmaniac (with Paul E. Dangerously) defeated The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock) (c)Double tables match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship12:48

1The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 and Pitbull #2) defeated Chad Austin and Joel HartgoodTag team match04:23

2Jason and Paul Lauria defeated Hack Meyers and Mikey WhipwreckTag team match15:00

32 Cold Scorpio defeated Hector GuerreroSingles match11:20

4Axl Rotten defeated Ian RottenBarbed wire baseball bat Match12:20

5Shane Douglas (c) defeated Marty JannettySingles match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship18:19

6The Triple Threat (Chris Benoit and Dean Malenko) defeated Sabu and The Tazmaniac (c) (with 911 and Paul E. Dangerously)Tag team match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship10:28

7Cactus Jack defeated DC Drake (with The Sandman and Woman)Singles match04:06

1Mikey Whipwreck (with Hack Meyers) defeated Stevie Richards (with Raven)Singles match7:36

2Tsubo Genjin defeated Tony StetsonSingles match4:48

3Ian Rotten defeated Axl RottenBarbed Wire Baseball Bat match9:07

4Raven (with Stevie Richards and Beulah McGillicutty) fought Tommy Dreamer to a no contestSingles match7:30

5Eddie Guerrero (c) fought Dean Malenko to a time limit drawSingles match for the ECW World Television Championship25:57

6The Sandman defeated Shane Douglas (c) (with Woman)Singles match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship7:53

7The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge and Rocco Rock) (c) defeated The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 and Pitbull #2) (with Stevie Richards)Tag team match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship16:48

8911 (with Paul E. Dangerously) defeated Ron SimmonsSingles match5:31

9Cactus Jack defeated Terry FunkSingles match12:58

1Mikey Whipwreck defeated Mike NormanSingles match6:41

2Tony Stetson and Don E. Allen defeated Raven and Stevie Richards (c) (with Beulah McGillicutty) by countout.Tag team match for the ECW World Tag Team Championship2:10

3Hack Meyers defeated Val PuccioSingles match6:15

4The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 and Pitbull #2) and Tommy Dreamer (with Luna Vachon) defeated Raven and The Dudley Brothers (Dudley Dudley and Snot Dudley) (with Beulah McGillicutty, Stevie Richards and Big Dick Dudley)Six-man tag team match5:33

5Dean Malenko and 2 Cold Scorpio defeated Eddie Guerrero and Taz (with Paul E. Dangerously)Tag team match20:00

6The Sandman (c) (with Woman) defeated Axl Rotten.Singles match for the ECW World Heavyweight Championship10:35

7Luna Vachon defeated Stevie Richards by submissionSteel cage match7:45

8The Gangstas (New Jack and Mustafa Saed) defeated The Public Enemy (Rocco Rock and Johnny Grunge)Steel cage match14:23

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

That fucking network added a new bug for PS4 (at least for me): every time I pause or jump forward/backward 10 s, the progress timer just gets stuck. So if I watch a match, stop playback and restart it, it jumps back to the first point where I hit pause or jump forward/backward. Similar, if I want to fast forward through the promos / whatever between the matches, I first have to fast-forward through the whole match again (as the timer thinks that I am at the start of the match).

Meanwhile I also tried to web stuff (even though I don't want to watch wrestling on my PC), and there "continue watching" does not seem to work (at least for the NXT TakeOver show I wanted to watch), every time I open a video that I have watched about 50% of, it just restarts from the beginning.

It's almost as if they try to say "if you want to have a functioning way of viewing our videos, pirate them".

21 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The first card actually has a "Catfight Humiliation Match". Jesus.

Complete with a post-match brawl where a woman that wasnt even in the original match gets her top torn off by two Male wrestlers like it was an R-rated 1980s college comedy. This show also has an early appearance by "Pro Wrestling Illustrated's Joey Styles" as a guest heel commentator on a couple of matches and yes it was as awful as that sounds.

And Double Tables has the infamous match where Cactus Jack straight up brained Sandman with a frying pan.

Didn't think about it but I'm sure the three other cards are on Cagematch

And here's what I found

Spoiler

Enter Sandman:

Singles Match

Hack Myers defeats Tony Stetson (5:32)

Tag Team Match

911 & The Tazmaniac defeat Hiroshi Itakura & Tsubo Genjin (2:51)

Barbed Wire Baseball Bat Barbed Wire Chair Match

Axl Rotten defeats Ian Rotten (6:18)

[Recommended, CAGEMATCH inmates: 3.33]

Tag Team Match

Raven & Stevie Richards defeat Mikey Whipwreck & Tommy Dreamer by DQ (8:51)

[Recommended, CAGEMATCH inmates: 6.89]

ECW World Television Title Match

Eddie Guerrero (c) vs. Dean Malenko - Time Limit Draw (30:00)

ECW World Heavyweight Title Match

The Sandman (c) defeats Cactus Jack (11:28)

ECW World Television Title Match

Eddie Guerrero (c) defeats Marty Jannetty

ECW World Heavyweight Title Match

The Sandman (c) defeats Shane Douglas (10:41)

ECW World Tag Team Title Double Dog Collar Match

The Public Enemy (Johnny Grunge & Rocco Rock) (c) defeat The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 & Pitbull #2) (16:41)

Barbed Wire, Hoodies, and Chokeslams: 

Singles Match

Broad Street Bully defeats The New Jersey Devil (0:16)

Singles Match

Mikey Whipwreck defeats Val Puccio (3:11)

Singles Match

The Vampire Warrior defeats Hack Myers (2:36)

Singles Match

Tommy Dreamer defeats The Vampire Warrior (7:18)

Singles Match

911 defeats Jim Steele (0:34)

Singles Match

Beulah McGillicutty defeats Luna Vachon (6:09)

Three On Two Handicap Match

Taz & Too Cold Scorpio defeat Raven & The Pitbulls (Pitbull #1 & Pitbull #2) (12:50)

ECW World Heavyweight Title Barbed Wire Match

The Sandman (c) defeats Cactus Jack by TKO

No Tag Wars though

Hey, there's one of your Marty Jannetty matches... and Gangrel? 

Edited by Curt McGirt