DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

Greed is the last one, right? That was really good. It was just too damn late for them at that point.

Yeah, Greed is the last one and the best of the bunch.

Agreed on the fact it was too late for them. They showed promise but the writing was on the wall once the Bischoff deal fell through.

Edited by onelegbrynn

too me, WCW turned back to "watchable" once Booker T won the world title. not because of that, per se, but just because it seemed like stuff finally started to click and they stopped doing a SWERVE every other match.

• Like 4

That Austin/Jarrett interview left a sour taste in my mouth.

I understand there's possibly legal agreements in place that prohibit Austin talking about Debra post-divorce, but the whole thing felt wrong, them leaving the elephant in the room as they pretended the only reason they might have heat was the USWA payoffs in 1989.

As much as WWE tries to reform Hogan's image and sweep under the rug the racist hate he spewed, they're equally as guilty of it when it comes to Austin being a serial abuser of women. 

• Like 4

On 6/7/2022 at 3:33 PM, odessasteps said:

I know they mention on BTS this week there were something like 8 title changes in 11 weeks or similar numbers. 

Counting the times the title was vacated, there were 30 WCW title changes/vacate from 1991-1999. There were 39 changes/vacates from 99-00. In Russo's tenure from Oct 99-Oct 00, the title changed hands or was vacated 26 times (and he was the last champion during his time as a writer).

• Like 1

Thoughts on Fall Brawl 2000

Fortunately, WCW got its one "nonsensical run-in" out of the way in the Elix Skipper-Kwee Wee opener for the 100kg title. Even the announcers said, "What are the Natural Born Thrillers doing here?" We'll never know, as Mike Sanders interfered with a stickball bat (which isn't even his gimmick) to help Elix retain the title.

Kronik started a chain match with the Harris Boys by saying "let's also make it a first blood match." So of course the ref doesn't see that Ron Harris was bleeding first before seeing Adams busted open. Maybe just stick with one stipulation next time?

Hacksaw Jim Duggan turning his back on the MIA and the United States of America counted for two SWERVE~! points. I was going to say, "and in his hometown, too!" but Buffalo and Glens Falls are five hours apart.  Poor Major Gunns was stuck with Team Canada, as she would have returned to MIA if Gen. Rection had won the Canadian title from Lance Storm.

Paul Orndorff showed up as the Filthy Animals' surprise partner against his students, the Natural Born Thrillers. But it turned out to be a colossally bad idea, as he suffered another neck injury while hitting a piledriver.

After that we went right to another potential injury match, as Shane Douglas threw Billy Kidman and Madusa off the scaffold to win the Pittsburgh Plunge match. The Franchise would have been the MVP if he hadn't rescinded his "money-back guarantee" to the fans before the bout.

Mike Awesome kept spinning the "Wheel of Gimmicks" in 2000, landing on Career Killer, Fat Chick Thrilla, and That 70s Guy.  Jeff Jarrett almost single-handedly beat Awesome, Gary Coleman, and the Buffalo Bills before Sting finally put a stop to the "Jeff Jarrett as Superman" narrative (at least in this company).

BILL GOLDBERG also wasn't Superman, as he couldn't overcome Scott Steiner, Midajah with a lead pipe, and Vince Russo with a baseball bat. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Professor Plum with a candlestick.

Booker T is the MVP for winning back the WCW title in a steel cage match. No shenanigans. He hit the Bookend on Kevin Nash and won the belt. Let's try not to think about what happened to the WCW title later in the month, okay?

PPV SWERVE COUNT: 17 of 9 (189%)

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thoughts on Halloween Havoc 2000

Alex Wright kept the Berlyn look but went back to dancing like his old self in his Boogie Knights team with Disco. They lost to the Filthy Animals, and Jindrak/O'Haire, who looked good in retaining the tag team title. 

The Natural Born Thrillers had also collected the Hardcore title (Reno) and the Cruiserweight title (Mike Sanders). Of course, the best way to illustrate the importance of the Cruiserweight title is to wear it to the ring, don't mention it, and fight Ernest Miller for the Commissionership of WCW in a kickboxing match.

Tygress came to the ring by herself to fight Shane Douglas and Wonder Woman (Torrie Wilson). Konnan came to the ring later and didn't look injured as they scored the victory.

PROPHETIC SIGN OF THE NIGHT: Goodbye Eric B./VInce R. - Hello J.R./Shane-O-Mac

Lex Luger didn't get the memo that Vince Russo was gone, as he SWERVE attacked Buff Bagwell. David Flair lost the DNA (First Blood) match to Buff, but he gathered a blood sample to try to prove Buff had fathered Stacy Keibler's baby.

Mike Awesome didn't have to put his Nitro title shot on the line against Vampiro, but he did and won the match with SUPER Awesome Bomb.

General Rection is the MVP for beating Lance Storm and Hacksaw Jim Duggan in a handicap match to liberate the US title from Team Canada and get Major Gunns back for the MIA.

Sting found himself in his own version of Scott Pilgrim vs. The World against his former selves. He battled Surfer Sting, Bret Hart-Jacket-Wearing Sting (?), Wolfpac Sting, Crow Sting, Old Man Sting, and Guitar-Wielding Sting. But he couldn't stop his seventh foe, Guitar-Wielding Jeff Jarrett, whose Superman narrative MUST continue!

WCW finally presented a World title match with two homegrown stars: Booker T vs. Scott Steiner. However, pushing Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair as World champions through the year 2000 drove away most of the fans who got tired of waiting for a match like this.

WCW put Goldberg where he belonged, too: in the main event beating Kronik. Isn't that great, fans?

Fans? ... 

Hello? ...

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

Thoughts on Mayhem 2000

Mike Sanders retained the Cruiserweight title in a match with so much interference that Ric Flair (now the CEO) said that nobody is allowed at ringside but official managers. When Ric Flair says you're cheating too much, that's saying something.

I like how Evan Karagias and Jamie Noble broke away from their respective teams and started teaming together, so we had the same six guys fighting each other. 2 Count emerged victorious. These six guys were clearly trying to become the "Hardys/Dudleys/E&C" of WCW, despite the fact that they were all cruiserweights.

Did we need another Mancow-Jimmy Hart match on pay-per-view? No.

Crowbar retained the Hardcore title after drama between his two challengers regarding Marie (Reno's girlfriend/Vito's sister).

Kronik was blatantly ripping off the "hired protection" gimmick of Bradshaw and Faarooq from the WWF. Disco could only afford to pay Kronik for seven and a half minutes, and after they walked out, the Boogie Knights lost to the Filthy Animals.

Bam Bam Bigelow beat his former protege Sgt A-Wall, then faked an injury so he could attack Gen. Rection before the next match. 

Rection overcame the odds to beat Lance Storm AGAIN to liberate the US title from Team Canada AGAIN, but he did not win back Major Gunns AGAIN because she had voluntarily returned to Team Canada. Was she really Canadian? (Checks Google) No? Must be a case of Saskatchewan Syndrome.

Buff Bagwell seemed to have found Jeff Jarrett's Kryptonite by destroying all his guitars backstage. But since Jeff Jarrett is the Son of Jor-El and cannot lose, he grabbed a guitar from under the ring and blasted Buff with it for the win.

Kevin Nash and DDP won the tag team belts from The Perfect Event (Stasiak/Palumbo). That was the perfect spot for Nash and DDP at that point in their careers, not competing for the WCW title.

BILL GOLDBERG continued his mandatory winning streak (or he gets fired) by defeating Lex Luger. Winning all the time is also the perfect spot for him.

Scott Steiner is the MVP for breaking out of a straitjacket and beating Booker T in a steel cage to win the WCW title. Big Poppa Pump was in the perfect spot as well. Could WCW finally be starting to do something right?

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Infinit said:

Confirmed! 

Wait, now that Vince is "gone", does this mean I can pick up my Network subscription again? Oh well, I think I'll hold out for a bit longer. But it is nice to know there would be something to actually look forward to in doing so. They should be getting around to '94 and the best parts of '94 at that on this one!

On 2/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Slamboree 96: The Lethal Lottery

WCW dusted off Battlebowl again, this time forcing the makeshift teams to win two matches to qualify for Battlebowl. So they crammed 15 matches onto this show!

WCW chose the teams in advance, so they could advertise Steiner vs. Steiner! Road Warrior vs. Road Warrior! Flair and Savage as partners! Benoit and Sullivan as partners!

PARTNERS COLLIDE - The Road Warriors opened the show, but both teams got disqualified and they never fought each other. The Steiners weren't shy about fighting each other and neither were the Faces of Fear.

PARTNERS WHO HATE EACH OTHER - Sullivan held Benoit onto a table so both members of The Public Enemy could put Benoit through it. Savage and Flair couldn't stop attacking each other. They made it through one round when Arn Anderson turned on his own partner (Eddy Guerrero), but they forfeited Round 2 when Flair, Woman and Liz threw Savage's money to the crowd and Macho Man attacked him. And let's not forget ...

PARTNERS WHO DREW EACH OTHER IN THE LOTTERY - The Public Enemy won both matches and made it to Battlebowl. Fire & Ice won one match and got a bye into Battlebowl. Lord Steven Regal & Squire David Taylor lost in the first round. 

After all of this craziness, Battlebowl featured eight midcarders, and the winner was Diamond Dallas Page. For bouncing back from joblessness and homelessness to win a valuable ring and a World title shot, DDP is your MVP. We should all have a "mysterious benefactor" to help us in the lowest points of our lives.

DDP won Battlebowl by pinning three opponents after the Diamond Cutter. Pinning people in a battle royale??!?!

Near the end of the show, Flair and Arn challenged Steve McMichael to a tag team match, and Mongo chose Kevin Greene, a current NFL player at the time. as his partner. If you thought that would finally end the year-long feud between Flair and Savage, guess again! Macho ended up coaching the football players at the Great American Bash.

I wanted to pull this up because I'm just through the PPV, and I actually kind of liked this show. It's a total clusterfuck, but in an entertaining way. 

The Steiners actually were a bit hesitant to mix it up and stuck to mat wrestling until the desperation to win overcame them. Pittman working his "I have no confidence" gimmick, not being able to lock the Code Red in properly twice, and then looking over at Teddy Long for guidance while his opponents prepared to ace him were just awful. Misuse of Pittman. 

The refs coming out to jump Savage before he can even get to the ring for his second-round match was some horseshit. You gotta let the match actually happen first. WCW was really punitive against Savage, but let Ric Flair do whatever the fuck he wanted. You can't even say that Savage attacked officials and that's why since Flair dropped a couple of refs on Nitros himself. 

Why do refs ignore the tape...and the tape dispenser...that Hacksaw's always waving around after getting a win that should be changed to a Duggan DQ?

And look, I need to take a cold shower, but Kimberly in that outfit was SPECTACULAR. INSPIRATIONAL. My God. And she decided that dancing around while wearing it was a great idea! And it was! I WILL NOT SETTLE DOWN. I was almost mad that Booty Man won a first round match until I realized that it meant more Kimberly later in the show.

Liger/Konnan was not particularly great (though it was decent), but it was one of those matches that '90s WCW was known for randomly booking, and I love that. Malenko's super gutbuster was used as a secondary finish, and rightfully so because it is a spectacular-looking move. 

I dig that the winner of the title shot ended up being a midcarder in DDP, but I don't dig that he never actually received that title shot, which I think he was supposed to get at Spring Stampede. This is still better than WWE-style booking, where Luger or Flair would have won it. This actually had a surprising winner for the time. Though looking at the last eight, DDP was the only guy who is probably winning this out of that group. It would have been better to bring Eddie through to this final match to make it a bit more uncertain. Even bringing Scotty Steiner would have been a good decision, I think, just to muddy the waters. 

Sting/Giant was good despite all the jibber-jabber that was meant to protect both guys. The Luger/Sting thing is more than done, but they threw some shit in to prolong it and to get a finish that protects Sting; however, I think the stuff on the Nitro prior should have ended all that "intrigue," which is now long in the tooth. We're two weeks from the nWo angle beginning, no need to keep it going. I also think the bodyscissors spot wasn't visually striking enough to really work that well. The rest of it was pretty great, though. I just wish we could get a fifteen or twenty minute match between these two with a clean finish. 

• Like 1

Thoughts on Starrcade 2000

Shannon Moore and Shane Helms shared the victory in the six-man ladder match for the Cruiserweight title. Even though it was supposed to be every man for himself, neither one tried to be the Justin Timberlake of 2 Count.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan could have turned back to the USA in the nation's capital. Instead, he reluctantly helped Lance Storm beat Ernest Miller, and Team Canada kicked him out anyway.

Daffney screaming throughout Crowbar's match was like New Jack's music playing throughout the bout. This was like the Rock-Mankind "I Quit" match where poor Crowbar took a ton of shots to the head before Terry Funk pinned him after a Car-Door Driver to win the Hardcore title.

Big Vito and Reno suddenly became brothers, with Marie as their sister. I thought for sure that Reno and Marie were dating. If that weren't enough awkwardness at the Christmas dinner table, Kronik revealed that Marie was paying them to beat up his brothers. That turned out to be a lie, as Reno was paying them (to beat himself up?) and Kronik forced the referee to count Reno pinning Vito to end the match. Reno then rejoined the Natural Born Thrillers. Why didn't he just rejoin the Thrillers and spare us all this stupidity?

Bam Bam Bigelow falling through the roof of the ambulance was like him falling through the ring when he fought Tazz in ECW.

Gen. Rection and Shane Douglas were having a good US title match with no interference until Chavo Guerrero Jr. screwed everything up. He acted like he was sneaking to ringside and threw a chain to the Franchise who got disqualified. Nobody could tell whose side Chavo was on; it was a mess. Douglas did give a money-back guarantee, so I'm sure he spent a couple of hours after the show handing cash back to the fans as they filed out of the building.

Jeff Jarrett lobbied Commissioner Mike Sanders to make the street fight into a bunkhouse match as well. Then he got on the microphone and reminded everyone that he did that. He and the Harris Boys won because Jarrett cannot be beaten on this planet. If anything happens to WCW, Jarrett should start his own promotion just so it's perfectly clear that he is the top star. I just hope they don't give it a stupid name.

Ric Flair said that if Mike Sanders took one step toward the ring, Kevin Nash & DDP would win the belts from The Perfect Event automatically. Sanders got up on the ring apron, but nothing happened. The Insiders won the titles anyway. Fun fact: Stevie Richards & The Blue Meanie also called themselves The Insiders when they were doing their parody of Nash and Scott Hall.

Scott Steiner overcame Jeff Jarrett accidentally blasting him with a guitar to beat Sid and retain the WCW title in a "battle of the crazy guys."

BILL GOLDBERG was the MVP. He beat Lex Luger again, despite his trainer Sgt. Parker wandering to ringside seeking revenge on Luger, and Bagwell attacking Goldberg before and after the match. Unlike Luger saving Sting from a ringside attack by the Four Horsemen, Goldberg concentrated on winning the match before helping Sarge.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 3

Thoughts on Sin

WCW started 2001 hot, with a great Cruiserweight title match between Chavo Jr. and Shane Helms, who didn't win but looked like a future champion.

Big Vito to Reno: "You took my girl away." Tony Schiavone during the match: "Their sister, Marie, isn't at ringside." Well, the PPV is called Sin ...

Jung Dragons vs. Knoble/Karagias was thrown onto the show at the last minute, and they just tore the house down.

The Indianapolis fans went crazy for The Cat like it was his hometown, but it wasn't. He and Mike Sanders both paid off Kronik, but The Cat's amount was higher, so they helped him win to become Commissioner again and retain the services of Ms. Jones. Kronik was kind enough to refund Sanders' money (by shoving it down his throat).

I didn't remember Mike Awesome joining Team Canada. Was he really Canadian? (Checks Google) No? Maybe Awesome just needed a new gimmick every three months like a car needs gas.

Hacksaw Jim Duggan was back in America's good graces, and he was the referee for the Canadian Penalty Box match. Team Canada beat the Filthy Animals. which makes sense because Canada should have home-ice advantage in a match like this.

Meng won the WCW Hardcore title, realized he wasn't under contract, and walked right into the WWF Royal Rumble a week later.

Totally Buff (Luger and Bagwell) are the MVPs. They interfered to cost Nash & DDP the tag team belts, which went to Palumbo & O'Haire. Buff even wore an unnecessary disguise. Later, they ended the career of BILL GOLDBERG, not by beating his partner Sarge, not by getting Goldberg disqualified, but by paying a fan to mace him and set up the Totally Buff Blockbuster for the win. Sometimes, Plan A and Plan B don't work, but they had a Plan C.

Thanks to the WWE Network for sparing us Sid's horrendous broken leg. Instead, we had to wait for mystery man Road Warrior Animal to help Steiner defeat Sid. You mean, Ric Flair and Scott Steiner's animosity was a giant SWERVE?

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

Thoughts on SuperBrawl Revenge

Road Warrior Animal knocked Kidman out of the cruiserweight six-man match, so Shane Helms stepped in. That meant we had the same six guys fighting again, but that's okay, because they had another outstanding match. Helms won to earn another title shot.

Chavo Jr. scored the biggest win of his career, beating Rey Jr. to retain the Cruiserweight belt.

Lance Storm was bossing people around backstage because now he was the Commissioner. He lost that job back to Ernest Miller, as The Cat racked up Commissionerships like Ric Flair amassed World title reigns.

MIA explodes! The fans did not care about Hugh Morrus vs. The Wall. They finally woke up when Hugh hit a second No Laughing Matter moonsault. They called for a third, but Hugh declined.

The Natural Born Thrillers also explode! Sean O'Haire showed breakout potential as he and Palumbo retained the tag team belts over Jindrak & Stasiak. A guy built like Batista who can fly like Jeff Hardy would seem to be a "can't miss" prospect.

Jeff Jarrett tried to get the big hometown win that eluded him at In Your House 2 against Shawn Michaels. He played a tape of DDP challenging Kanyon "anytime, anywhere," so DDP had to wrestle Kanyon first, then Jarrett. They interfered in each other's matches. Although DDP lost to the Kanyon Cutter, he beat Jarrett with the Diamond Cutter. This proves that Jarrett is not superhuman on his home planet.

Kevin Nash lost his job, as Flair put a "loser leave town" stipulation on his World title match against Scott Steiner. Normally, this would be something you advertise in advance to gain more pay-per-view buys. But nobody who followed WCW would believe that Nash would really stay fired or that he cared about being World champion.

Scott and Rick Steiner share the MVP award for walking in and out of this show as a brother duo holding the World and US titles.

Totally Buff beat Kronik thanks to a convoluted plot from Ric Flair that involved Bryan Clarke being detained and Mike Awesome disguising himself as Clarke. Here's how Flair convinced Awesome to be part of this scheme:

"Mike, we want you to dress up as ..."

"YES! I'll do it!!"

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

Another note from that February 1994 episode of WCW Saturday Night: the commentators having to account for the fact that Mark Starr took Paul Orndorff’s piledriver by raising his head so that it didn’t look like his head came close to hitting the mat.

Suspect that a part of why they dropped 1994 WCW SN episodes is because Terra Ryzing debuts on the 2/12/94 episode

assorted comments from WCW Saturday Night 2/12/1994

Flair vs Vader is on. The Boss (Ray Traylor in his McDowell's era) is the special referee. Don't ask why they needed a tease for a week that the Superbrawl match was off, only to reinstate it 8 days before.

I figured out by the end of the Nasty Boys squash that Missy's hairstyle around this time would go on to be the shorthaired blonde look that Miley Cyrus had in the 2010s. When did she depart the company and sue them for the Starrcade 1993 related Sexual Harassment?

Ric Flair's promo was awesome.

Jungle Jim Steele... well... I mean. He exists. I'd say that he had Marty Jannetty hair but 1980s Ultimate Warrior didn't have great hair either. Fred Avery looks like a guy who aspired to be as fit as Arn or Ole Anderson. A Thesz press as his finish feels like somebody ribbing Steele. His name is "Jungle Jim Steel" in the graphics.

Also, Ted Turner is in the building and watching Jungle Jim Steele. Jane Fonda is also there.

We didn't get nearly enough of the Cactus Jack and Maxx Payne tag team, did we?

Didn't take Center Stage long to get into the Patriot as Ted & Jane watch some Lord Steven Regal. It was a fine WCW TV title match in the formula (even if it going to a draw was fairly predictable)

Steve Austin at this time has the look of someone whose dad owns a real estate company in a wealthy Southern suburb. Meanwhile Col. Parker gets the Mongolian Mauler a cameo in WCW. The Mauler has unique contact lenses and he's if Bruiser Bedlam dedicated himself to looking like a freak instead of being an outlaw biker.

Terror Risin (sometimes a WCW typo makes more sense than the actual name) makes his WCW debut vs Keith Cole. No word on if anything came of Terror. Gotta love the Indian Deathlock finish that HHH uses in an era where nobody else uses any variant of the Indian Deathlock. Bobby either said the finish was the Fuller Leglock (or like the Fuller Leglock?).

Some old white dude from Cobb County taunts Paul Orndorff with a Paula sweater. Meanwhile, Erik Watts was still in WCW in February 1994? Feels like Paul Orndorff got more out of mentoring Paul Roma than Arn Anderson got out of mentoring Erik Watts. The match does on for awhile and ends on a top rope rule bullshit DQ.

Love how Harley looks like the world's sleaziest old school football coach with Vader. Like Harley's a coach that gives his players bonuses for taking out prominent players on the other team. Vader/Harley always made much more sense than Lex Luger/Harley because Harley looked like a guy who spent his free time running up a tab at a bowling alley and Lex Luger does not look like a person who has ever intentionally went to a bowling alley.

Also Vader murdered a dude who wrestled in a striped tshirt. How the fuck did the Boss last so long before the obvious trademark infringements became too much to handle.

Ricky Steamboat is a babyface, as you can tell from him opting to not blow fire in Vader's face while making a save. Also, maybe the Vader and Steamboat matches didn't happen back to back in the actual taping. Out of all the WCW enhancement dudes, Fidel Sierra looked like he wrestled for a living instead of WCW jobbers who looked like they were absconding from work to lose in 2 minutes on TBS.

No word on what sort of deviant sex act the Boss would arrest Rip Rogers for doing in a public place.

So there's two thundercage matches (gotta make the most of that cage rental) and Paul Orndorff is in a six man (Rude/Austin/Orndorff vs Pillman/Rhodes/Sting). Man that Orndorff/Roma vs Arn/Watts match feels pointless since Arn is facing Regal, and Orndorff isn't even teaming with Roma at Superbrawl.

Someone had to explain the "kiss lips sticker" thing to Ted and Jane before Johnny B. Badd did it.  Some kid put in a lot of effort into his "Rick Rude Boo" sign. I wonder if Rick Rude ever fought any gold glove boxers during his days of using his girlfriend to honeypot guys into getting their asses kicked by Rick Rude in a bar. All the move exchanges (reverse chin lock! dueling sleeper/jawbreaker combos) were building to Johnny B. Badd doing an Atomic Drop to Rick Rude. It feels like they had no idea of how to consistently refer to the WCW International Heavyweight title.

Man, it really feels like Rick Rude was on the verge of doing some very interesting things in 1994 before he got hurt. Not sure how much of that would have happened before we found out if 1994/95 Hogan would run Rick Rude out of town.

I've never seen Superbrawl 1994 but I get the sense that it's good, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Jungle Jim Steele... well... I mean. He exists. I'd say that he had Marty Jannetty hair but 1980s Ultimate Warrior didn't have great hair either. Fred Avery looks like a guy who aspired to be as fit as Arn or Ole Anderson. A Thesz press as his finish feels like somebody ribbing Steele. His name is "Jungle Jim Steel" 

Personally, I'm kinda hoping that at some point Jungle Boy will become Jungle Man and look a bit more like Jungle Jim Steele, without losing all his wrestling skills in the process, hopefully.

Yes, SuperBrawl IV is really good. Not as good as Spin Stampede'94 or Slamboree'94 but probably close to being the third best PPV of 1994 WCW, I think.

So for Lawful Jr.'s birthday, we've resubscribed to Peacock.  Anything we've missed from 2022?  We haven't watched hardly any WWE in 2022, except for the occasional Walter / Gunther matches v. Roderick, v. Bron Breaker, Smackdown Debut, and v. Ricochet.

On checking, the February 12th, 1994 WCW Saturday Night was taped on February 1st and Missy was fired by WCW by the time that the February 21st, 1994 Observer came out. You could kinda figure something was up with how much the cameras avoided showing her.

Then again she’s on the February 19th WCWSN with the Nastys so if that was intentional, we’d see it in that match.

We’re only a few weeks out from the first Hogan WCW appearance in March 1994 which should be added to the Network before 2030.

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Man, it really feels like Rick Rude was on the verge of doing some very interesting things in 1994 before he got hurt. Not sure how much of that would have happened before we found out if 1994/95 Hogan would run Rick Rude out of town.

Rick Rude is such a what if along with Ricky Steamboat had he not gotten hurt either. I could see Rude and Hogan having a good feud in 1995. Probably better than Hogan and Flair in drag.

IIRC, Ricky Steamboat's contract was wrapping up around early 1995 before they fired him so there's a few scenarios there depending on the whims of Bonnie Steamboat, who is officially blamed for everything Ricky did around that time.

Ricky Steamboat in 1995 Smoky Mountain probably doesn't save the company for much longer than it lasted, but it would have finally given Cornette a singles babyface to just put in the top spot for awhile. Of course it would have been too late for Smoky to be able to make a move on the traditional JCP Asheville/Greenville/Spartanberg TV market

Also one thing I noticed from the February 5th and February 12th episodes, which were taped at different dates, is that there were guys on both episodes, some top guys only on one episode, and the guys in the middle/under were only on one card. I guess if AEW had realms where some guys would be on every week or 3 of 4 weeks, while some would only be on every other week, it'd be kinda like what WCW was doing in those episodes.

For the record, Steamboat, Orndorff/Roma, Arn Anderson, The Boss, and Regal were on both episodes. Guys like Sting, Vader, Johnny B Badd, The Nasty Boys, and Rick Rude were only wrestling on one episode.

Just realized this was also the only time that Rick Rude and the Nasty Boys were working in a promotion at the same time, which would have been a fine one-off six man tag team "Rude and Nasty" of guys with different looks but similar sentiments towards getting into fights.

• Like 1

@Cobra Commander and others:

i've also been watching '94 WCW. I'm currently in early July '94 and watching Saturday Night and all of the C-Shows.  here's a few thoughts that may or may not intersect with your own:

i don't know why, but i've always been a fan of Jungle Jim Steel/Steele. he's not a very good pro wrestler. his finisher (the "Steel Trap"?) was pretty terrible. They tend to use the "Steel" spelling but will alternately use "Steele" so who knows? Also nobody cares.

"Terra Ryzing" (debuted 2/12/94 on WCW Saturday Night, last appearance 6/18/94 on WCW Worldwide) officially becomes "Jean-Paul Levesque" on the 6/18/94 Pro episode, so i give them kudos for acknowledging what came before. i mean, he randomly develops a French accent, but i guess i can excuse that.....

i don't exactly know when Steve Austin gets injured, but they've been telling a slow-burn story that *SHOULD* lead to him getting a world title match against Ric Flair. what a missed opportunity. And i would say that even if i didn't know what happened with ol' "Stone Cold".

not to spoil it too hard but Austin's out from November 1994 to February 1995, and his 1995 WCW stint isn't long either

So, did Jim Steele get fired from WCW in 1994 (before he went off to tour All Japan) because i'm sure a Jungle Jim Steele vs Renegade feud could have caused a black hole to develop among 1995 smarks. Steele was a bit larger than Renegade, so there're suspense for a Renegade vs Dark Renegade feud. As the Taskmaster has summoned an evil clone of the Renegade (who is also 5 inches taller than the actual Renegade)