DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

On 5/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Souled Out 2000

WCW started the millennium just like the last one ended: making things too complicated and shooting themselves in the foot. Kidman-Malenko would have been a great match if it hadn't been halted before the three-minute mark when Malenko forgot that he wasn't allowed to leave the ring.

Disco wasn't happy to be in the corner of the Mamalukes, but I guess it was better than being killed by their boss. Disco tried to cost the Mamalukes the match but accidentally helped them beat the Harris Boys.

The Cruiserweight title went from Madusa to Oklahoma. Remember when it was the prize for great wrestling matches?

Brian Knobs decided that Fit Finlay was his mentor and got a haircut like him. Knobs won the four-way hardcore title match over Fit, Meng and Norman Smiley.

Harlem Heat explodes! Booker T told Midnight to head to the back while he settled things with his brother, but she wouldn't have been able to stop Ahmed Johnson from attacking him and forming Harlem Heat 2K.

Tank Abbott was impressive in his UFC-style win over Jerry Flynn. This was the best use of Tank, so of course WCW eventually made him a comedy character.

DDP hit Buff Bagwell with the Diamond Cutter, but Bagwell got to his feet first to win the Last Man Standing match. 

Worst fan sign: DDP IS A HICK   --- He's from Jersey!

Terry Funk lost the commissionership to Kevin Nash, who would have had to disband the nWo if he had lost. Instead, we had the nWo in a position of power at the same time Triple H and his outlaw faction had taken control of the WWF. 

Chris Benoit is the MVP for beating Sid with the Crossface to win the vacant WCW title. With Bret, Sting, and Goldberg sidelined with injuries, Benoit winning the title to begin the millennium could have been interesting, but before Benoit could defend the belt at SuperBrawl, he had already defected to the WWF.

The best part about Souled Out 2000 is that Russo wanted Tank Abbott to walk out with the title. He had pitched putting the title up in a Royal Rumble type deal. IIRC, Sid would toss everyone out and you'd think he won but there'd be one more guy left and Tank would come out, knock Sid out and take the belt. And then Terry Funk would light the ring on fire for...well....reasons. JJ Dillon talked about that a lot in his book. Apparently they were in a production meeting before the show and Russo was asking what it would take to get the fire marshal out of the building so that they could wipe the ring down with flammable gel at some point and then have Funk set the ring on fire with his flaming branding iron to close the show. Right after he pitched that, Brad Siegel or whoever was running WCW at that point (I can't recall exactly who) said Russo would have to work with a booking committee and he declined and left for a while until he and Bischoff came back in April.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/17/2022 at 12:12 PM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Starrcade 99

Disco Inferno teamed up with Lash LeRoux to face Tony Marinara's goons, who happened to be professional wrestlers instead of guys who will break your legs or shoot you. Disco accidentally gave his partner the stunner, lost the match, got stuffed into a body bag and kidnapped. This match should have ended with the phone number for Gamblers Anonymous.

Spice came to the ring with Evan Karagias, but it was a SWERVE~! Spice gave Evan a low blow and helped Madusa win the Cruiserweight title.

Norman Smiley wisely went into his Hardcore title defense against Meng wearing a full Washington Redskins Champ Bailey football uniform. He won after Brian Knobs and Fit Finlay attacked Meng during the match. There was no 24/7 rule here, so why did they get involved?

Hacksaw Jim Duggan needed help against the Revolution, so he brought in the VAHSITY CLUB, with Kimona from ECW as their cheerleader. However, it was another SWERVE~! as they turned on Duggan, forcing him to denounce the USA on Nitro the following night. Who knew that Kevin Sullivan was not to be trusted?

This show had more man-on-woman violence than any WCW PPV ever, by a wide margin. Evan Karagias hit Madusa, the Varsity Club beat up Asya, and Creative Control and Curt Hennig attacked Midnight.

The Oklahoma joke shouldn't have lasted longer than one night. Here, we had to suffer through his live commentary during the Vamp-Dr. Death match and then his own match that he was forced into when Doc got disqualified. Jim Ross must have rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, considering how often he was humiliated in the WWF and mocked here in WCW. Still, WCW put way too much attention on the other company's announcer instead of their own wrestlers.

The Misfits were allowed to interfere liberally in both of Vampiro's matches. Why not? Give 'em a break ... they're Misfits!

Jeff Jarrett beat Dustin Rhodes after excessive interference from Curt Hennig. Jarrett later came back and hit Sid with a guitar to help Kevin Nash win the powerbomb match. Oh wait, I guess it was a "tell the ref that you powerbombed your opponent - he'll believe you!" match.

WORST FAN SIGN: "WWF SUX" -- You're going to hold up that sign after that finish?

DDP beat David Flair in a Crowbar on a Pole match. David got the crowbar but walked right into the Diamond Cutter. DDP was about to smash him in the junk with a crowbar (just like he did to Ric Flair), but David's crazy superfan, Daffney, saved the day.

If the person you're trying to swerve isn't fooled by the swerve, is it really a swerve? Lex Luger and Elizabeth pretended to be on the outs to sucker Sting in. But Sting said, "Fool me 538 times, shame on ME." He switched Elizabeth's mace with a can of silly string. So the answer to the previous question is YES, it is a swerve, but Sting did the swerving! Even though Liz ended up blasting him in the head with a baseball bat, Sting is the MVP for finally wising up and executing a Super Double Secret Mega Meta-SWERVE~! on a show full of swerves.

PPV SWERVE COUNT: 5 of 3 (167%)

Chris Benoit delivered a Sting-like "I don't want to just be handed the US title - I want to earn it in the ring" speech. He issued an open challenge for a ladder match. Now after everything that had happened throughout 1999, the only acceptable person to walk through that curtain would be Dean Malenko. So of course, Jeff Jarrett showed up for the third time.

The last two pay-per-views ended with BILL GOLDBERG and Bret Hart on top, respectively, so the Goldberg-Bret main event of Starrcade made sense. Now, there are three endings for this match, like the Clue movie. Which one was the real ending?

GOOD ENDING: Bret Hart somehow beats Goldberg to end the millennium, proving once and for all that he is the best there is, etc. Of course, there was no future with this ending because Goldberg delivered the CAREER KILLER Kick during this match.

GREAT ENDING: Goldberg beats Bret Hart, showing that the young, phenomenal WCW champion is superior to the older longtime WWF champion. Goldberg starts 2000 with successful title defenses against Nash, Hall, Luger and Sting before facing guys like Booker, Benoit, and Scott Steiner.

WORST ENDING EVER: Piper mopes to the ring in a referee shirt, calls for the Montreal Screwjob parody ending in favor of Bret, and literally nobody is happy. 

This was the third and final "FU" that WCW gave its fans in 1999, with the others being the Fingerpoke of Doom and Hogan laying down for Sting at Halloween Havoc. Even though the company lasted another 15 months, WCW succeeded in running its fans off to the WWF or away from wrestling for good.

Only Kevin Nash could lazy his way out of winning a "winner must hit his finish" match by not actually hitting his finishing move.

And it's been a while since I've watched it but I remember Liz absolutely waffling Sting with that bat. IIRC, she hit him damn near flush in the face and it made a giant smack. She put all 115lbs or whatever the fuck she weighed at the time behind it and wiffle ball bat or not, that had to hurt like a mofo b/c I don't think Sting put his hand up or anything.

Edit--here's a video of it. Jeebus, she cracked him right in the face as he turned around so he didn't even have a chance to put his hand up.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 3

Thoughts on Spring Stampede 2000

Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff were back in charge, and they stripped the belts from all the champions. Because THAT was the problem.

Mancow helped WCW draw a big crowd in Chicago, but that's what dark matches are for. Nobody cares about a Chicago morning DJ beating up Jimmy Hart, just like nobody else in the country cares about the shows that would be happening at the Omni in Atlanta in the early '90s.

Russo fired Dustin Rhodes after he failed to stop a non-New Blood wrestler (Terry Funk) from winning the Hardcore title. But first, they had to argue over who was behind the success of Goldust in the WWF. Again, WCW fans are asking "who cares?"

Vince Russo literally handed the tag team belts to Shane Douglas & Buff Bagwell after throwing two extra teams (The Harris Boys and Kronik) at their opponents. Douglas was too busy beating on Ric Flair to accept the belt. 

The Wall got disqualified when Scott Steiner poked him in the eye, leading to him chokeslamming the referee through a table. Let's take a look inside the Wall's mind:  "Hmmm, this smaller guy wearing a shirt is definitely Scott Steiner. Here we go!"

Even though Sting got dragged to hell by Vampiro, causing him to lose the US title tournament final to Scott Steiner, Sting is the MVP for scoring clean wins over Booker and Vamp earlier in the night.

Hulk Hogan attacked Billy Kidman, which did not result in Vampiro's disqualification. Russo brought in the police to arrest Hogan for going after Bischoff backstage. Mark Madden channeling Daffy Duck: "Shoot him!"

Chris Candido became the new Cruiserweight champion after SUNNY showed up and help him pin the Artist. As usual, Sunny immediately overshadowed her man by having a catfight with Paisley.

When I announced for ROH, our champion was Xavier. I liked him a lot and pushed him as hard as I could on commentary, but a lot of fans just didn't think he was World title material, especially when guys like Chris Daniels, Brian Danielson, Low Ki, and AJ Styles were right there. I thought about Xavier when Jeff Jarrett was pushed to the WCW title. 

Triple H was benefiting from his connection to the WWF brass at the time, but the fans bought that HHH could be World champ without the system behind him. I don't think they felt that way about Jarrett. But it didn't matter, because the WCW title was about to reach new levels of irrelevancy.

Since Vince Russo was back, so was the SWERVE-O-Meter, as Kimberly hit her husband, DDP, with a guitar to give the belt to Jarrett. PPV SWERVE COUNT: 6 of 4 (150%)

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thoughts on Slamboree 2000

Here comes Chris Candido with the Cruiserweight title. But Sunny had to steal the spotlight again by talking about the "Show Me" State and taking off her robe. It's amazing that anyone remembers Candido's name.

The theme of the night was members of the New Blood trying to take over for members of the Millionaire's Club. Let's see how they did: 

Shawn Stasiak taking over for Curt Hennig: Stasiak called himself the Perfect One, came out to an impressive ripoff of the Mr. Perfect theme, and won with the Perfect Plex (10 of 10, MVP award)

Chuck Palumbo taking over for Lex Luger: Palumbo attacked Luger after Lex's win over Buff Bagwell. Palumbo was wearing Luger's outfit and put him in the Torture Rack (9/10).

Vampiro taking over for Sting. Nope. Sting beat him again. At least Vamp was wearing face paint. (1/10).

Hugh Morrus denounced his name, calling it a "brain fart" of Eric Bischoff. He then adopted the name "Hugh G. Rection," which qualifies as a "brain diaper blowout."

The whole New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club was backwards. The young guys were the bad guys, and the old guys who led the company into oblivion were the good guys. Russo & Bischoff were both on the young guys' side. It would have make much more sense for Russo and the New Blood to be the babyfaces against Bischoff and the older guys who didn't want to step aside. 

When Luger and Bagwell were wrestling each other, did they realize they would be perfect partners? I felt like Kramer talking to the arguing Jerry and Elaine: "Don't you know that everything you need is right here?"

Shane Douglas bad-mouthed Ric Flair for years, and when they finally met in the ring, The Franchise won. He got help from a guy in a Sting mask who was not Vince Russo as suspected, but actually David Flair. The son SWERVED the father ... again!

The Hogan-Kidman match was ripping off ECW and the Austin-McMahon feud at the same time, right down to Horace forcing unconscious referee Eric Bischoff to count to three. 

David Arquette winning the World title wasn't the end of the world, because WCW had already destroyed its own popularity and the integrity of the title. Even if Arquette were a bigger movie star like Bruce Willis, it wouldn't have made a difference. Arquette and DDP worked together against Jarrett as they made their way to the top of the triple cage, but Arquette delivered another SWERVE to give Jarrett the win. It was the second time Jarrett had the title dropped into his lap because someone decided to turn on DDP. What a champion! PPV SWERVE COUNT: 8 of 5 (160%)

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 2

Thoughts on Great American Bash 2000

Disco Inferno was like the kid in college who joined too many clubs. First the nWo, then the Mamalukes, and here he was part of the Filthy Animals, with whom he had nothing in common.

The World title was in a constant state of chaos that seemed to infect the other titles. Daffney was Cruiserweight champion for a while. The Mamalukes were the Hardcore champion.  Shawn Stasiak was a tag team champion, but he had a big singles grudge match against GI Bro. Stasiak looked great again, which makes me wonder why the WWF treated him like a bumbling idiot when he later returned there.

Kimberly tried to interfere in the ambulance match between DDP and Mike Awesome, only for Miss Hancock of all people to drag her away. Why?

Then Kanyon jumped out his wheelchair and hit his best friend, DDP, with a Kanyon Cutter off the stage. It was the third straight SWERVE~! on DDP at a PPV. Good thing he was so positive because anybody else would start to develop some trust issues.

According to the announcers, The Wall vs. Shane Douglas match could only end when someone was put through five tables. Finally, they corrected themselves to say three out of five tables. Let's take another peek into the mind of The Wall: "I have a 2-0 lead. I think I'll climb this ladder to go after Shane, even though three tables are stacked behind me."

Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair both faced retirement if they lost (yeah, right), but they both won. Hogan earned a title shot after Torrie Wilson came out and SWERVED her boyfriend, Billy Kidman.

Now wait - didn't Flair earn a title shot at this PPV by winning a battle royale? Yes, but he received his title shot early and won it and lost it and won it and lost it and now he was fighting his son, David. Even if WCW were in the ballpark of being competitive with the WWF, everything was happening at such a dizzying pace that it was hard to follow even if you watched every show. If you missed a show, you were lost.

Vampiro is the MVP. Sting said if Vamp wants to win the Human Torch match, he would have to climb to the top of the video screen. And that's exactly what he did. Sting took a giant fall off the screen through the stage, which was a terrible idea even if the Owen Hart tragedy hadn't happened.

So the main event was Jarrett defending the World title against Nash. Eric Bischoff touted a big surprise that would change the entire pro wrestling world. It was BILL GOLDBERG turning heel and helping Jarrett win for the world's largest Super-Dee-Super SWERVE~! 

It did make an iota of sense that he would seek revenge on Nash, who had cost him his World title and winning streak, but embracing Russo and Bischoff prompted the fans to pelt the ring with garbage.

Maybe WCW should have just stopped copying the WWF, as this bout featured The Cat and The Filthy Animals recreating Vince McMahon's "stacked deck" main event at Over the Edge 98. The Asylum and Human Torch matches were copies of the Lion's Den and Inferno matches in the WWF.

When Beth Flair brought out the rest of the family to watch the Ric-David match, she probably didn't think one of the kids in the crowd with her would win more than a dozen world titles like Ric.

PPV SWERVE COUNT: 11 of 6 (183%)

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 3

Was this the PPV where Vince Russo screamed YOU BITCH at a 14-year-old Charlotte as a part of the ringside stupidity during the Flair match?

Because that was the fucking WORST.

14 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Was this the PPV where Vince Russo screamed YOU BITCH at a 14-year-old Charlotte as a part of the ringside stupidity during the Flair match?

Because that was the fucking WORST.

Yes, it was.

1 hour ago, Gorman said:

Yes, it was.

For whatever reason, it is this that represents to me the creative nadir of this era of pro wrestling in America. 

There are a lot of awful things that happened during this era, many arguably more awful than this. There's just something about Vince Russo calling a teenage girl a bitch as he chases her around the ring in a pathetic attempt to be edgy that really grinds my gears.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

For whatever reason, it is this that represents to me the creative nadir of this era of pro wrestling in America. 

There are a lot of awful things that happened during this era, many arguably more awful than this. There's just something about Vince Russo calling a teenage girl a bitch as he chases her around the ring in a pathetic attempt to be edgy that really grinds my gears.

in 2000/2001, I would watch PPVs with some friends who had their cable box hacked to get free PPVs. And yet, I don't recall this one at all and am wondering if by this time we just gave up on WCW PPVs entirely.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JLowe said:

in 2000/2001, I would watch PPVs with some friends who had their cable box hacked to get free PPVs. And yet, I don't recall this one at all and am wondering if by this time we just gave up on WCW PPVs entirely.

then again, like @Gormansaid, everything is just happening at a dizzying pace. If you watched each monthly PPV, the events and results were largely forgotten/ignored by the time you got to the next one. Nothing means anything, so nothing is worth remembering. they just become a blur.

• Like 3

Thoughts on Bash at the Beach 2000

Most of WCW's audience missed the joke of the Jung Dragons attacking The Cat backstage as a reference to Kato's training attacks on Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies.

Mike Awesome was chatting up the opera singer backstage (as The Fat Chick Thrilla) instead of warming up for his US title shot against Scott Steiner. When Jarrett brought her to the arena, I was amazed that nobody had thought of that before. 

The graveyard match had even worse lighting than the junkyard match. When Vamp and the Demon were fighting in the river, the Demon's face paint didn't come off!

Disco Inferno went from mocking Konnan's rap skills to serving as his own personal Flavor Flav.

Ric Flair must have been proud to see Miss Hancock and Daffney fighting over his son in a wedding gown match. I love how someone baked a giant cake even though there wasn't an actual wedding. 

Kronik beat Palumbo and Stasiak to win the tag team belts in a match where both teams looked surprisingly good.

BILL GOLDBERG said he would beat Kevin Nash and rip up Scott Hall's contract right in front of his face. That's exactly what he did. WCW ran a contest where you could be Goldberg's special guest manager. That must have been greenlit before Goldberg turned heel.

Buff Bagwell was distracted by Torrie Wilson coming on to him right in the middle of his match with Shane Douglas. Of course, it was Torrie's second SWERVE in a row, as she joined Douglas as his "Francine" in WCW.

Booker T is the MVP for bouncing back from a loss to Positively Kanyon and beating Jarrett for the World title.  Essentially, this means Booker is the Bret Hart of WCW, working his way up from the tag team title to the secondary titles to the World title. Scott Steiner would eventually join him as Bret No. 2.

Vince Russo pulled a giant SWERVE~! on Hulk Hogan by letting him beat Jeff Jarrett for the title and then invalidating the championship before setting up the Booker-Jarrett match. This was basically the Daytona Beach Screwjob, and it made me wonder what it would be like for the original Montreal Screwjob to do go down like this.

Bret and Shawn are halfway through the match when Earl Hebner swerves Bret by counting to three and giving him the win! Shawn angrily grabs the belt and leaves to prevent Bret from taking the physical belt to WCW. Vince kicks Bret out of the building and goes to the ring to cut the "Bret screwed Bret promo," trying to tear him down as a CANADIAN HERO by saying that he sold out to Billionaire Ted. 

Then he sets up Ken Shamrock vs. Shawn for the title. Shamrock wins the title, and Shawn wins it back at IYH:DX with the help of DX.

PPV SWERVE COUNT: 13 of 7 (185%)

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:23 PM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Great American Bash 2000

Now wait - didn't Flair earn a title shot at this PPV by winning a battle royale? Yes, but he received his title shot early and won it and lost it and won it and lost it and now he was fighting his son, David. Even if WCW were in the ballpark of being competitive with the WWF, everything was happening at such a dizzying pace that it was hard to follow even if you watched every show. If you missed a show, you were lost.

I think the battle royal that Flair won got him a title shot that somehow got put on Nitro. And he beat Jarrett at the end of May, had to vacate it, then Nash won it and gave it back to Flair and then Flair lost it back to Jarrett.

• Like 2

I see that it might be time for this video to be posted: 

Though man, they need to post one of these just for title shots based on the conversation above. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 3

This might sound weird, but I'm looking forward to hitting about late-1998 WCW on through to the end during my Nitro watch. 

First of all, there are a lot of guys who got burn during that period who fell off the map after that. I'm interested to re-evaluate their work. How good a worker is late-period Bam Bam Bigelow, for example, even considering the constraints of late-'90s TV wrestling in the U.S.?

Second of all, I want to see if the post-Russo/Bischoff era where they let Scott Steiner be a dominant champ and tried to put over a new generation of workers from the NBT to Shane Helms and Chavo is as good as I remember it being. I really, really liked it back in the day, but I don't think I've sat down and watched through it since it happened. I want to see how it looks two decades later. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

This might sound weird, but I'm looking forward to hitting about late-1998 WCW on through to the end during my Nitro watch. 

First of all, there are a lot of guys who got burn during that period who fell off the map after that. I'm interested to re-evaluate their work. How good a worker is late-period Bam Bam Bigelow, for example, even considering the constraints of late-'90s TV wrestling in the U.S.?

Second of all, I want to see if the post-Russo/Bischoff era where they let Scott Steiner be a dominant champ and tried to put over a new generation of workers from the NBT to Shane Helms and Chavo is as good as I remember it being. I really, really liked it back in the day, but I don't think I've sat down and watched through it since it happened. I want to see how it looks two decades later. 

I have a similar memory of those dying days. I thought 3 Count was a great gimmick with excellent wrestlers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I have a similar memory of those dying days. I thought 3 Count was a great gimmick with excellent wrestlers.

Agreed, and my memory of Helms is that they booked him impeccably so that he started out as a goofy wannabe pop singer (with an elite fucking theme, by the way, Jimmy Hart is amazing) and ended up looking like one of the best cruiserweights on earth and a potential breakthrough worker beyond that at the U.S. Championship level. 

I might be wrong about that, but I remember it like that. I remember the Chavo/Helms feud as being legitimately awesome, too. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

That final rush of WCW from Fall Brawl 00 to the end day had some really strong rebuilding properties that I think could've gone on for another boom for the company, but alas.

• Like 2

Thoughts on New Blood Rising

Tank Abbott was having a great time dancing along with 3-Count, and he ended up with the recording contract and gold record after their match against the Jung Dragons. Of course, he could have been a World title contender, but he was getting paid either way.

Nonsensical run-in No. 1: Tygress came in to help Ernest Miller beat The Great Muta. That's a big win for the Cat, but ... why?

Judy Bagwell on a pole match? No pole is big enough. So Judy Bagwell on a forklift match it is. Positively Kanyon was also having a great time cosplaying DDP.

Nonsensical run-in No. 2: David Arquette tried to help Kanyon win, without success. So the former champ ate a Kanyon Cutter.

The Filthy Animals coming out as referees (four of them!) was funny. Kronik won the four-way over MIA and two sets of Natural Born Thrillers (before they were called that).

Nonsensical run-in No. 3: Vampiro & Great Muta interfered in this match, but they didn't seem to know whom to attack. Later, after Kronik ruined their latest plot to kill Sting, the Dark Carnival challenged Kronik for the belts ... and won!

Miss Hancock and Major Gunns actually tried to wrestle for a while before ripping off each other's clothes and battling in a military-themed mud pit. Gunns helped Hancock after the match when she started having abdominal pains.

Nonsensical run-in Nos. 4 and 5: Big Vito came in after the Kidman-Douglas strap match, followed by Reno. Why, gentlemen, why?

Lance Storm won the MVP award before the opening bell. He entered the ring with three Canadian-branded titles, brought out Jacques Rougeau to enforce the Canadian rulebook and encouraged the crowd to sing O Canada. Even though he lost to Mike Awesome over and over (continually being saved by Jacques's rules interpretations), the whole scene was so pro-Canada that Bret Hart gave his seal of approval after the match.

Nonsensical run-in No. 6: The Harris Boys came in to cost Kronik the tag team belts. They weren't trying to help the Dark Carnival, so what did they have against Kronik?

WCW announced that BILL GOLDBERG had been in a motorcycle accident, but then he came out (SWERVE~!) for the three-way match against Scott Steiner and Kevin Nash. Then, Goldberg "refused to cooperate" with Nash and walked out on the wrestlers, fans, and Russo, which constitutes a second SWERVE in the same match. 

The announcers suddenly started talking about pro wrestling as if it were scripted, and the wrestlers were just doing what they were told. So thanks for that, WCW. I can just hear my friend, Notorious Norm Connors, saying "That won't sell one wrestling ticket."

PPV SWERVE COUNT: 15 of 8 (188%) 

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gorman said:

Judy Bagwell on a pole match? No pole is big enough. So Judy Bagwell on a forklift match it is. Positively Kanyon was also having a great time cosplaying DDP.

the indignity of that poor woman. Curious to hear your thoughts on 2000-2001 era WCW. Consensus seems to be that at some point they actually turn the corner

6 hours ago, zendragon said:

the indignity of that poor woman. Curious to hear your thoughts on 2000-2001 era WCW. Consensus seems to be that at some point they actually turn the corner

I'd say that at least the very last 3 PPV's are all surprisingly good, especially if you have the late '99 and pretty much all of 2000 in mind when watching them. I never saw them when they happened, watching the a few years back, I was like "they sure got pretty good by the end of their run there "

• Like 4

There was a lot of young talent with a mix of high flyers like Three Count , Jung Dragons, AJ Styles, Air Paris, and Chris Daniels, and bigger guys like Jindrak, O'Haire, and Palumbo. Then you had guys like Scott Steiner, Booker T, and Kanyon who were established vets who shined when actually allowed to wrestle to their abilities. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, zendragon said:

At the end of 2000, WCW realizes, "Hey, let's build around young talent," and they have a surprisingly strong group. But by then, they have done so much damage to the integrity of the World title and the company itself, that it's too little, too late. I think the problem started with the nWo making WCW seem uncool. It popped the territory but ultimately led to its demise.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

I'd say that at least the very last 3 PPV's are all surprisingly good, especially if you have the late '99 and pretty much all of 2000 in mind when watching them. I never saw them when they happened, watching the a few years back, I was like "they sure got pretty good by the end of their run there "

I really like 2001 WCW. Of the three PPVs they did, I always feel like SuperBrawl is the weakest. That's not to say it's a bad show, it's just not as good as Sin or Greed. The opening six-man elimination match with Three Count, Jung Dragons and Karagias/Noble all against each other is good. So is Chavo vs. Rey. I just think the ridiculous overbooking of Steiner vs. Nash and some of the other goofiness on the show drags it down. It's watchable, I just think Sin and Greed are better overall shows.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, onelegbrynn said:

I really like 2001 WCW. Of the three PPVs they did, I always feel like SuperBrawl is the weakest. That's not to say it's a bad show, it's just not as good as Sin or Greed. The opening six-man elimination match with Three Count, Jung Dragons and Karagias/Noble all against each other is good. So is Chavo vs. Rey. I just think the ridiculous overbooking of Steiner vs. Nash and some of the other goofiness on the show drags it down. It's watchable, I just think Sin and Greed are better overall shows.

Greed is the last one, right? That was really good. It was just too damn late for them at that point.

• Like 1