DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

I noticed they added more WCW Saturday Night from 1992-ish. Not sure exactly when they added it or if it's new content or just episodes migrated over from the pre-Peacock era. 

All I know is when Peacock first debuted in April they only had 10 episodes of WCWSN and now there's a ton more. *shrug*

Thoughts on Starrcade 89

Doom had a rough night. Even with help from Woman's bodyguard, Nitron, they lost all of their matches. Their fortunes would improve by ditching the masks and changing managers. As Great as Muta was, he also scored zero points.

The order of the tag team matches was goofy. The Samoans sat in the back and watched the other three teams finish their matches against each other. Then the Samoans finally came out and wrestled all three teams. The Skyscrapers would have been in their spot, but Sid Vicious was hurt.

The Road Warriors survived a loss to the Steiners ("Oops, I pinned myself!) to win the tournament with pinfall victories over Doom and the Samoans.

Sting is the MVP for winning the singles tournament. It came down to Sting and Flair, and at one point Sting decided he wasn't going to lose. He shrugged off Flair's offense and started hopping around with excitement. Sting's partner, Ultimate Warrior, was also positioned to be the "Star of the 90s" by standing tall at the end of the final WWF PPV of the 80s. Sting lived up to that potential better for WCW.

Edited by Gorman
  • Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, paintedbynumbers said:

July 1st and still no classic footage announced.  Not liking the looks of this. 

I may be wrong on this one, but they may have just added more Superstars episodes on top of those dropped the last time and just failed to notify anyone, but either way, '94 seems to go into late Spring at least, at this point (May 14 to be exact). Is that where the previous drop was supposed to end? If so, then nevermind.

On 7/7/2021 at 9:25 AM, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Starrcade 89

Doom had a rough night. Even with help from Woman's bodyguard, Nitron, they lost all of their matches. Their fortunes would improve by ditching the masks and changing managers. As Great as Muta was, he also scored zero points.

The order of the tag team matches was goofy. The Samoans sat in the back and watched the other three teams finish their matches against each other. Then the Samoans finally came out and wrestled all three teams. The Skyscapers would have been in their spot, but Sid Vicious was hurt.

The Road Warriors survived a loss to the Steiners "("Oops, I pinned myself!) to win the tournament with pinfall victories over Doom and the Samoans.

Sting is the MVP for winning the singles tournament. It came down to Sting and Flair, and at one point Sting decided he wasn't going to lose. He shrugged off Flair's offense and started hopping around with excitement. Sting's partner, Ultimate Warrior, was also positioned to be the "Star of the 90s" by standing tall at the end of the final WWF PPV of the 80s. Sting lived up to that potential better for WCW.

I rented this tape from Blockbuster eventually as a kid, like maybe a year after the show. As a big fan of both THE TEAM OF DOOM and Muta, believe me when I say that I was pissed after watching the show. I was really glad that I didn't shell out the extra allowance to rent a VCR for two nights so that I could hook it up to our VCR and transfer the show on a blank tape (as was my way, look, I was a nearly-broke kid in a working-class family, don't judge). 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

At least they were in it. Herd wouldnt use the MX even though they had no problems jobbing to everyone else. 

Using MX to put over all three other teams would have made the matches better, but as is, I think the concept of 4 power-based/brawling tag teams in a round-robin did work pretty well in this case. Would it have been better or worse with the Skyscrapers in it? The matches would have been worse than with SST, but would the spectacle been even more awesome? The combination of Steiners, Road Warriors, MX and The Skyscrapers sounds like a cluster-fuck waiting to happen, though.

• Like 2

I'm watching Mid-South (81-82) and am a bit confused, as Orndorff's other arm looks relatively skinny even before the nerve injury (which bothered him during the Hogan feud, as the story goes) and even before he gained a bunch of mass with (more) steroids. Did the nerve damage actually happen (or start happening) during his football career or something?

Now Jim Ross joined this shit! That is something!... also, Killer Karl Kox being a face is also a whole lot of something.

Edited by Shartnado
JR...

They added Mid-Atlantic to the ‘Cock.

Refresh my memory… Did they make it to ‘86 on the Network before Peacock?

Edit: This apps interface is awful. I didn’t know this was put up until I watched an episode of Nitro, and this was under suggestions.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Yeah - the last episode put up on the Network was May 17, 1986, which I think was the effective end of MACW being called that name.

Thoughts on WrestleWar 90: Wild Thing

The company kicked off the decade by rebranding with purple World Championship Wrestling banners around the arena.

The Dynamic Dudes started the 90s without skateboards, Frisbees, and Jim Cornette, but they still lost to the makeshift team of Kevin Sullivan & Buzz Sawyer.

Norman the Lunatic beat Cactus Jack Manson with the same finisher he would later use in the WWF as Bastion Booger: lure your opponent into trying a sunset flip, then sit on him.

WCW had a ton of tag team depth and featured five tag team matches, including a classic Midnight Express-Rock & Roll Express encounter. Doom, one of the company's best tag teams that year, didn't even wrestle but instead filched manager Teddy Long from the New Skyscrapers (future Undertaker and masked Mike Enos).

Lex Luger was running out of ways not to beat Ric Flair, but here's a new one: dropping Flair from the Torture Rack to save the injured Sting from a beating by Ole & Arn Anderson. 

The Steiners are the MVPs of the show, retaining the World tag team titles with a win over the Andersons, and then saving Luger from an attack by the Horsemen at the end of the show.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:44 AM, LoneWolf&Subs said:

They added Mid-Atlantic to the ‘Cock.

Edit: This apps interface is awful. I didn’t know this was put up until I watched an episode of Nitro, and this was under suggestions.

On 7/17/2021 at 3:49 PM, Hamhock said:

Yeah - the last episode put up on the Network was May 17, 1986, which I think was the effective end of MACW being called that name.

I don't have the network anymore, but before the switch to Peacock they also had World Championship Wrestling from late 85-early 89. I can't remember the exact start date, but the first episode was not long after the breaking of Dusty's leg in the cage. So it was feasible to watch the promotion pretty much straight through from 81 to Steamboat's reign

Edited by elizium

50 minutes ago, elizium said:

I don't have the network anymore, but before the switch to Peacock they also had World Championship Wrestling from late 85-early 89. I can't remember the exact start date, but the first episode was not long after the breaking of Dusty's leg in the cage. So it was feasible to watch the promotion pretty much straight through from 81 to Steamboat's reign

Yep, they have World Championship Wrestling episodes up from 11/2/85 (couple of weeks after the Dusty leg break) - 7/8/89 (after Flair regained the title). What's missing:

• the first 7 months (the first Crockett WCW episode after buying the slot from Vince was 4/6/85)
  • mid-1989 through early 1992 (it gets renamed to Saturday Night in April 1992, which they have up through end of 1993)
  • Like 1

Apparently a bunch of '88 AWA just dropped.

It has been noted by others before, but Mr Magnificent Kevin Kelly had quite the build in '88. He must have gone off the juice by '92, otherwise Nailz should have had his prison gear torn off during all of his matches in WWF.

Was this guy "Billy Jack Strong" same as Steve Strong/DiSalvo?

Also, in '88, they still had Midnight Rockers for a little bit, Nasty Boys still there, Bob Orton, Adrian Adonis and Tom Zenk for a spell, along with Curt Hennig and Larry Zbysko. That's not too shabby!

Kevin Kelly vs Curt Hennig? Ok, we never got Nailz vs Mr Perfect, but this is intriguing and absolutely different match than that one would have been!

LOL at there being a pretty badass looking "Samoan Joe" battling Jerry Lawler on this one episode! And now that MF'r is fighting Wahoo McDaniel! Are you kidding me? Now Midnight Rockers pinned Samoan Joe a lot! This is something else.

Edited by Shartnado
Watching it now...
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Broken Skull with Nash was fun, but then Loaded Nash is always fun and Austin has seriously been down the road with him. I could have probably listened for another couple hours. 

Nash is a smart man, he's like I'm a bit too tall for movie parts because leading men don't like to feel dwarfed, but sitting at a convention talking to my fanbase seems like the most fun I could think of at this point. He knows where the future income will be coming from. Loaded or not, still a sharp businessman, when it comes to making money with what you have.

While I wouldn't do it on video, talking about wrestling (or talking about work) while getting increasingly drunk is one of the best things I know...

Edited by Shartnado
Loaded Shartnado is always fun, too!
  • Like 1

Thoughts on Capital Combat: Return of RoboCop

What's older than Old School? Future Undertaker Mark Callous walking the tight rope and hitting an elbow drop on Johnny Ace. 

Samu got replaced twice as Fatu's partner: first by Samoan Savage in the Samoan Swat Team, and then by Sionne in the Headshrinkers. 

Capt. Mike Rotunda (thinking): Too bad the Varsity Club broke up. I really enjoyed being a captain. Hmm, what else could I be captain of?  ... Wait, I know! A yacht! 

Jim Cornette got locked in a shark cage AGAIN, but his Midnight Express won the US tag team belts anyway AGAIN, so I'm giving them the MVP award AGAIN.

Teddy Long sure had a lot of hair on his head in the Doom-Steiners match for a guy who lost a hair vs. hair match earlier in the show. The barber didn't finish the job. Teddy also got the last laugh when Doom won the World tag team titles.

The Rock & Roll Express showed unexpected edge by gleefully whipping the Freebirds in their strap match. Ricky & Robert even pulled off the Phantom Audio Tag like true heels. They won after both teams forgot about the strap stipulation and just went into a regular match.

Lex Luger got another title match with Ric Flair, it was in a steel cage, and Robocop was around to keep the Four Horsemen from beating up Sting. So Luger has to win the title, right? Not so fast, my friend! 

First, WCW allowed Woman to be locked inside the cage, defeating the purpose of preventing outside interference. But she wasn't the problem. Somehow, technical wizard Ole Anderson figured out how to raise the cage so Barry Windham could attack Lex Luger. So Lex won by disqualification in a cage match. During the post-match brawl, Robocop must have malfunctioned, because El Gigante debuted and scared the Horsemen away instead.

Edited by Gorman

11 hours ago, Gorman said:

Thoughts on Capital Combat

What's older than Old School? Future Undertaker Mark Callous walking the tight rope and hitting an elbow drop on Johnny Ace. 

Samu got replaced twice as Fatu's partner: first by Samoan Savage in the Samoan Swat Team, and then by Sionne in the Headshrinkers. 

Capt. Mike Rotunda (thinking): Too bad the Varsity Club broke up. I really enjoyed being a captain. Hmm, what else could I be captain of?  ... Wait, I know! A yacht! 

Jim Cornette got locked in a shark cage AGAIN, but his Midnight Express won the US tag team belts anyway AGAIN, so I'm giving them the MVP award AGAIN.

Teddy Long sure had a lot of hair on his head in the Doom-Steiners match for a guy who lost a hair vs. hair match earlier in the show. The barber didn't finish the job. Teddy also got the last laugh when Doom won the World tag team titles.

The Rock & Roll Express showed unexpected edge by gleefully whipping the Freebirds in their strap match. Ricky & Robert even pulled off the Phantom Audio Tag like true heels. They won after both teams forgot about the strap stipulation and just went into a regular match.

Lex Luger got another title match with Ric Flair, it was in a steel cage, and Robocap was around to keep the Four Horsemen from being up Sting. So Luger has to win the title, right? Not so fast, my friend? First WCW allowed Woman to be locked inside the cage, defeating the purpose of preventing outside interference. But she wasn't the problem. Somehow, technical wizard Ole Anderson figured out how to raise the cage so Barry Windham could attack Lex Luger. So Lex won by disqualification in a cage match. During the post-match brawl, Robocop must have malfunctioned, but the debuting El Gigante was able to come down and scare the Horsemen away.

I had this on VHS. It started with the hair vs hair match. I loved the Midnights vs Zenk/Pillman and Steiners vs Doom in my mid teens when I was able to obtain this!

Also, speaking of SST/Headshrinkers, I wonder what kind of team would have Samoan Savage and Sionne made? And how would a match between them and Samu/Fatu turned out? It would be kinda tricky to get all those guys into same place at the same time in this particular universe/timeline, though!

Edited by Shartnado
SST talk...
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When there was talk about the different tiers on the Network and the highest would contain other independent promotions' stuff, I was like "yeah, I'd be all over that" but now that they have all the new Progress, WxW, Evolve, ICW etc. stuff, I see them being added, but hardly ever give them a shot. I guess what I really wanted was the TNA 2002-2012 and ROH 2002-2010 library? But I really should get around to watching some of that stuff, one of these days!

• Like 1

Now, I didn't have the network, so accessing it through Peacock with it being mostly complete is my first look. Right now, going through the A-Z listings makes the whole thing seem like the greatest video rental store on the planet. Sure, not being able to skip to specific matches sucks, but it makes fast-forwarding feel like you got a tape in there.

There's some PPVs I saw because they were in a Movie Gallery or Blockbuster in 1998, and some, even prominent ones, were never there. I've seen Summerslam 91, 92, 93, 95. But not Summerslam 90 or 94. And I've seen Survivor Series 91, 92, 93 but not 90, 94. I didn't see Survivor Series 95 until I went through a different rental store with a friend. I didn't see Series 96 until I saw the version of it on FS1 last year during the period of time when FS1 desperately needed programming during Covid.

Shoutout to the people trying to assign TV ratings to weekly episodes of territory wrestling. I think Mid-South is TV14 because your kids need to be a certain age before they can hear Bill Watts talk about the Russians.

Anyways, I guess the entire package will be on Peacock soon, check WWEPeacockery on Twitter for any new stuff that was on the Network already and don't tell Nick Kahn about the Network.

Thoughts on Great American Bash 90: New Revolution

Harley Race was back in WCW at the age of 47. Even though he won a record seven NWA World titles, Race still wore a crown on his trunks to remind everyone that he was King of the WWF. Race beat another former NWA champion, Tommy Rich. 

The Wild-Eyed Southern Boys looked fantastic in their PPV debut and almost won the US tag team belts from the Midnight Express. 

The Steiners beat the Freebirds in a match that didn't seem to have any implications. Jim Ross and Bob Caudle correctly predicted that the Steiners would go down as one of the best brother duos of all time.

Tom Zenk was all smiles on the way to the ring, but that changed when he faced Big Van Vader and his smoke-spewing helmet OF DOOM. I like how Vader made his PPV debut on the same show that Sting won the title.

The Horsemen (Arn, Windham and Sid) got disqualified before El Gigante could tag into the match. That's one way to keep him from dragging down its quality. Later, Gigante was handcuffed to Ole Anderson during the main event and wisely dragged Ole to the back row to watch the match.

While Lex Luger had a hard time winning the World title, he was perfectly suited to be US champion. He pinned Mean Mark Callous with a clothesline a few months before Callous became The Undertaker.

Sting earned the MVP award before his World title shot with Ric Flair. He said, "My knee is 100 percent; all the stipulations are stacked in my favor. I have no excuse not to win the title." Then he went out and won the title, just a few months after his former partner, the Ultimate Warrior, moved to the top of the WWF.