DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

I watched about half of the Yokozuna docu so far and they did not answer my biggest questions about his career: why was he not hired by WWF or WCW a couple of years earlier? They jump directly from 89 or so to 92, where the most high profile stuff he did was about 2 tours a year with New Japan and some work in Mexico for UWA. Were neither WWF nor WCW aware of him? Were they reluctant because he was quite young? Did they just not see that much in him until WWF did in 92?

Edited by Robert s

I loved the Yokozuna documentary as it showed how great Rodney really was as a wrestler and person.  One thing that jumped out was how generous Rodney was and in many way he truly was as Roman calls it the head of the table.  It just bums me out about his weight as who knows how things would be if he took care of that.

• Like 2

Sasha Banks has been announced as the next guest on the Broken Skull Sessions

No word when it is actually coming out (it was just part of a commercial for upcoming Network stuff)

• Like 1

Thank you! The only thing I could find was a joke from Norbit. Now from Wiki I found this. 

Turkey tail or turkey butt has an international exportation market in places such as Micronesia, Samoa, and Ghana. The turkey tail is commonly exported from America because it is considered unhealthy and cut off the normal turkey.[6] After World War II, cheap imported turkey tails became popular in Samoa. Because the cut has a very high fat content, it was banned from 2007 to 2013 to combat obesity, only allowed back when Samoa joined the World Trade Organization. The meat is otherwise used in pet food.[7]

So he was frying something extremely unhealthy, then making it even worse by covering it in mayonnaise. Got it. 

Woof. 

Now the other question I have now that Robert brought his early career up is why didn't WCW just scoop him up in their death knell. If his health even scared them off then that's pretty sad. Also, I half expected them to show footage from Heroes of Wrestling when they cut to his last indie run. That was actually kinda classy of them to let that remain buried. (If they didn't love him so much you know damn well it'd have been in there though) That makes me think that he might end up in a Dark Side of the Ring episode someday, to think of it. 

17 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

February classic content is more episodes of WWF Superstars.  Not too bad. Was hoping for WCW or ECW but I'l take what I can at this point. 

Yeah, I'll take that and like it! There should be for example Ludvig Borga vs Tatanka streak vs streak match (heel announcer reference, since Borga had been undefeated for all of 2 months). Maybe there will be the subsequent Tatanka vs Yokozuna title match, unless that was on RAW? I guess that one is already available elsewhere.

Thoughts on Great American Bash 86 (Charlotte tour stop)

Denny Brown's ring jacket featured an outline of Florida that looked like it was cut out by a fourth grader.

The Andersons beat Sam Houston and Nelson Royal (who also dressed like a cowboy). Houston had Arn pinned, but Ole hit him off the top rope and the Andersons won. This happened so often in WCW that we can just call it the Surprise Partner Smash finish. 

Baron Von Raschke learned that if you take off your belt to whip your opponent (Manny Fernandez), not only could he use your belt against you, but ... your pants will fall down.

Wahoo McDaniel showed his experience in the Indian strap match because he had a much better dragging technique than Jimmy Garvin. The key is to wrap the strap around your opponent's wrists a few times.

Teenage Dustin Rhodes drove Ronnie Garvin in a golf cart to the taped fist match against Tully Blanchard, who proved to have a very punchable face. Garvin wasn't content to have the advantage with his "Hands of Stone." He also hilariously knocked Tully out before the opening bell and after the first round ended.

Baron's wardrobe backfired again when Jimmy Valiant grabbed his loaded glove and knocked out Shaska Whatley to win the hair vs. hair match. Jimmy then told Paul Jones he was next, even though they had already fought in a loser-leaves-town match 18 months earlier.

Ric Flair retained the NWA World title in the main event, beating Ricky Morton in a steel cage match. Add his helicopter entrance into the football stadium, as well as taking Morton's protective facemask and putting it on himself, and the Nature Boy is the MVP.

• Like 1

Still going through the '86 Wrestling Challenges and it's wild to see Koko B Ware almost getting a push on WWF tv. Taking Randy Savage to a double count out in a non-title match and coming out on top post match is pretty much the pinnacle of his WWF success, as far as I've ever seen. Seeing this, there's really no reason why he couldn't have gotten more wins on tv over the years.

Also, on the same episode Slick said that he sold Hercules' contract to Heenan (and purchased Butch Reed's in the process) so that he'd know what it would be like to be "wealthy enough to buy and sell a man". Holy shit!

Furthermore, does this mean Hercules has been kinda sold to slavery, twice? The man can't catch a break!

Edited by Shartnado
Slick's pipebomb

Thoughts on Great American Bash 86 (Greensboro tour stop)

Being Mid-Atlantic heavyweight champion didn't mean much. Black Bart teamed with the Barbarian against Italian Stallion and Denny Brown, whose Junior Heavyweight title didn't exactly rocket him up the card, either.

Manny Fernandez was the unsung hero of this era. He always seemed to be in a bloody brawl, and he usually came out on top. Here, he beat Baron Von Raschke in a loaded-glove-on-a-pole match. So the Ragin' Bull was ahead of his time, and could have fit in with ECW or Vince Russo-era WCW.

Jimmy Garvin had another Indian strap match with Wahoo McDaniel, and he actually learned Wahoo's dragging technique! It wasn't enough to win, though.

Tully Blanchard did win his rematch, beating Ronnie Garvin in a taped fist match. Tully got punched a lot (again), but he used a foreign object to knock Garvin out.

Jimmy Valiant said Paul Jones would be next to get a haircut, but not so fast! Bald Shaska Whatley returned the favor by attacking Valiant and giving Paul Jones another win over the Boogie Woogie Man. It was strange to see a babyface lose a haircut match and have the heels pointing and laughing at him.

Nikita Koloff tried to grab the ropes, but referee Tommy Young kicked his hands away and then counted Magnum TA's pin. A teenage girl at ringside put both of her hands on Magnum's bloody face and then excitedly showed her friends.

Dusty Rhodes won the NWA World title again! He beat RIc Flair with a small package in a bloody cage match. I like how the other babyfaces (and David Allen Coe) rushed the ring to congratulate Dusty. They seemed genuinely happy for him. The American Dream gets the MVP award for winning the big one again.

Edited by Gorman

New batch of Superstars just dropped and they are building towards Borga vs Tatanka, which is cool! There was an amazing 123-Kid vs Pat Tanaka match, which featured a motherfucking sunsetflip-powerbomb from the apron to the floor (sadly mostly missed by the camera, with no replay). This match was followed by Owen Hart vs Scott(y 2 Hotty) Taylor. Nice start!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, after all these years of just seeing the ending with the one finger pinfall and subsequent Yokozuna beat down, I finally saw Ludvig Borga vs Tatanka. While Tatanka had been on a downward trajectory since WMIX, he was still undefeated, so that was a big deal. Hearing from somebody that he had finally lost a match and TO BORGA of all people, I was pretty shocked at the time. I enjoyed the match and it really put over Borga. Not necessarily as a monster, but a dastardly foreign heel, anyway!

This batch of Superstars episodes continues the trend of actually having worthwhile matches on each episode, and that's cool! 1-2-3 Kid vs Pat Tanaka was definitely a shocker!

Edited by Shartnado
Gramnar ;)

This new WWE 24 on Big E is just awesome, funny, and  very serious when he talks about how felt about the George Floyd killing and how he is starting his education program.  Once again I will say again I want a weekly show of stuff from Dusty Rhodes promo school in FCW and NXT.    Also funny re-watching the video of John Cena training for his WM match against the Rock see how many future superstars were actually in it.  I mean we remember the Big E bench press part but nobody remember that Roman Reigns was the spotter

It is impossible to hate this man.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, hammerva said:

I mean we remember the Big E bench press part but nobody remember that Roman Reigns was the spotter

Also great for Austin Creed losing his mind

12 hours ago, Infinit said:

10 more episodes of WCW Saturday Night this month! ??

Oh, thank goodness.  I was ready to wrap up '93 without seeing how WCW finished the year so I'll be looking forward to that.

• Like 1