DVDVR Message Board

WWE Network Conversation

RIPPA

No, that's true, he was announced from Polynesian Islands. The Japanese flag was prominently displayed by Fuji at ring side, however, as well as on Yokozuna's robe. So there was definitely some confusion (or subterfuge) regarding the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy to think it was just about a year ago that they killed the weekly Hidden Gems. It feels like two or three years. The wednesday night commute home when the news for Thursday's dump usually dropped was a highlight of my work week. I think everyone was hoping for a bunch of thanksgiving shows towards the end of the month like they did the previous Xmas, but instead, nothing. At the very least, there's still probably a ton of Omni shows and 50s Texas wrestling left in the vault.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Crazy to think it was just about a year ago that they killed the weekly Hidden Gems. It feels like two or three years. The wednesday night commute home when the news for Thursday's dump usually dropped was a highlight of my work week. I think everyone was hoping for a bunch of thanksgiving shows towards the end of the month like they did the previous Xmas, but instead, nothing. At the very least, there's still probably a ton of Omni shows and 50s Texas wrestling left in the vault.

I'd always wished they would bring these back. Would be great even if it was day a month similar to the classic content.  So many people want to see the old/rare shows in pristine video quality. WWE has it, why not share it?

• Like 1

The newest batch of Superstars is from the time I have seen due to a friend of a friend taping me a bunch of stuff from TV (Sky channel, I believe). But those were Wrestling Challenge and All-American episodes, so not everything is familiar. The Steiner Bros squashes are still a sight to behold. I used to watch them and go "they think it's fake, THAT cannot be fake!"

Bret Hart vs Papa Shango was good. There's also the Mr.Hughes sneak attack on The Undertaker that 'Taker never got to avenge on TV. So, Hughes has accomplished something very few people have accomplished.

This will keep me busy until the new Prime Time episodes drop!

• Like 2

The Paul Bearer documentary is definitely recommended.  Tells a story of his full career including his Gulf Coast, Florida, and World Class days.  Tons of great outtakes and some of his ribs.   Surprised that they talked about the CM Punk angle but I will say I kind of agree that while it was extremely tasteless it was something Bearer would have loved

The funny part about the Taker vs Orton Untold was how they glorified Bob Orton's role in the Hell in the Cell match as the old man having his one final moment of glory.  Never mind the fact that he was fired from that match because he bled a lot while having Hep-C and not telling anyone about it.  But I guess time heals all wounds.

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

I’ll second the praise for the Bearer doc. Fuckers got me to cry. Another really well done feature. Even my wife, who really only tolerates pro wrestling at best, will sit down and watch the documentary stuff with me. 

• Like 1

In one of the Superstars episodes, there was the RAW replay of the Razor Ramon vs 123-Kid 10000$ challenge match. I was surprised how competitive and good it was. The double count out ending was the only thing I've seen previously. The choke-slam bump was pretty sick and awesome!

• Like 1

Yeah, the Percy doc got me too, and I just love that man. Most of the doc having him talking about his career is a treasure. That's one of those guys who was the funniest motherfucker in the room every time he was in the room. Also seeing his dedication to his wife... just a lovely person and a true fan and talent. 

It also reminded me of how awesome the heel turn was, the further heel turn with the blonde coming back and the mustache coming off (god he was wonderfully hateable then) and -- above all -- the urn with the light coming out! What a gimmick. This man was a part of my childhood fandom that was so important, and I'd forgotten about it. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 1:59 AM, hammerva said:

The Paul Bearer documentary is definitely recommended.  Tells a story of his full career including his Gulf Coast, Florida, and World Class days.  Tons of great outtakes and some of his ribs.   Surprised that they talked about the CM Punk angle but I will say I kind of agree that while it was extremely tasteless it was something Bearer would have loved

The funny part about the Taker vs Orton Untold was how they glorified Bob Orton's role in the Hell in the Cell match as the old man having his one final moment of glory.  Never mind the fact that he was fired from that match because he bled a lot while having Hep-C and not telling anyone about it.  But I guess time heals all wounds.

On 11/9/2020 at 2:20 AM, Shane said:

I’ll second the praise for the Bearer doc. Fuckers got me to cry. Another really well done feature. Even my wife, who really only tolerates pro wrestling at best, will sit down and watch the documentary stuff with me. 

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, the Percy doc got me too, and I just love that man. Most of the doc having him talking about his career is a treasure. That's one of those guys who was the funniest motherfucker in the room every time he was in the room. Also seeing his dedication to his wife... just a lovely person and a true fan and talent. 

It also reminded me of how awesome the heel turn was, the further heel turn with the blonde coming back and the mustache coming off (god he was wonderfully hateable then) and -- above all -- the urn with the light coming out! What a gimmick. This man was a part of my childhood fandom that was so important, and I'd forgotten about it. 

I will also recommend the Paul Bearer documentary and the one on Undertaker/Randy Orton. The former is a poignant tribute to Paul Bearer: The family man, Percy Pringle and the manager of Undertaker and Kane. I thought it would be a 30 minute documentary, glad it was an hour. I wasn't looking forward to Untold as I thought it could be used for a different Undertaker feud like Barista in 2007 or Edge the year after. It was better than I expected going in. Randy Orton is so candid, he's grown up as he's aged. There's a legit LOL when the producer says to Undertaker that he's been in the most casket matches and 'Taker says: "Ya think?!" .

The story about Randy Orton no showing the "practice session" of the Wrestlemania match was something    At that time doing that was basically career suicide and instead it led to at the time his best ever match.   Well at least top 2 at the end depending on thoughts of Orton vs Cactus Jack

• Like 1

Commenting further on the new Superstars batch, I have some observations:

I really thought they were going to blow off Steiners vs Money Inc on Superstars. They were dedent matches, with pretty ridiculous bullshit finishes. Hebner probably won the weekly shitty officiating raffle in the back on that rematch alone. They finally blew off the feud at SummerSlam Spectacular.

There was a 123-Kid vs Barry Horowitz squash which was pretty rad. So, Owen Hart (as Blue Blazer) has had good matches with both those guys, but now all three have had matches against each other on WWF tv (or PPV).

Ludvig Borga made his debut and was impressive. Lawler made the best call of his career by saying Finland is the home of superior, SUPERIOR athletes. I mean, that's hardly accurate ( even in '93) but still very cool! I remember seeing some other Borga squash (also before SummerSlam) and was like "wait, people think he's a bad guy?" and my friend was like "well, you know how Americans are with people from other countries". Glad that's changed.

The Quebecers also made their debut and very awesome from the start. They really deserved to be tag champs, even though I hate that Steiners got short-changed as far as their reigns went.

A bit earlier, Men on a Mission debuted as well. Wow, this really was all Mabel, wasn't it? He did an Earthquake-level dropkick for fuck's sake! Haven't seen that since.

Say what you say about Hacksaw Jim Duggan, but he always embraced anyone who decided to love America! Volkoff, repenting Slaughter and now Lex Luger. He was not holding a grudge OR trying to bogart the "True American Patriot"-gimmick! That actually made him seem genuine.

This has been a really fun trip down the memory lane and there's still a couple more to go! Then, bring on the new Prime Time, whenever that drops!

Oh, and Luger won a Chevrolet pick-up truck for slamming Yokozuna and now takes a fucking BUS across the country?!? Wow, Chevrolet must be so glad they sponsored the WWF!

Edited by Shartnado
Luger's transportation
  • Like 2

So after seeing some stuff on Twitter in my timeline I decided to watch the Lana Chronicle.  I guess you take on this is how you feel about her.  I am sure some people that is too sensitive or too much of a drama queen.  But the other side is that she has gone through a lot of shit whether it is the WWE and how they dealt with her marriage to how she is booked now to how the fans treat her.  The beginning of it where she tweets about doing this and while a few were very supporters most of them were mean as hell. You can tell from watching it that firing Russev really messed with her mentally.   

I know that they there is an idea of making Lana a babyface.  I mean that is the only way I figure this unless the WWE management are such incredible scumbags that having Nia put her through the announcers table 8 weeks in a row is good comedy for them.   You feel that she is willing work hard for it but you wonder if she will get a chance with the fans

• Like 1

The Lana Chronicle made me want to give her a hug and the name of a good therapist. She’s very obviously still struggling with Miro being gone, this pandemic, and her own insecurities. The social media stuff, while a confidence builder on one hand, also seems to be killing her spirit.

I’ve always liked her and thought that she has been able to make the most out of whatever crap stuff they’ve thrown her way work, whether it was initial Ice Queen Lana or the Lashley mess. And I’m probably one of the few people that would like to see this underdog/bullying storyline actually lead to some sort of payoff at Survivor Series but I have no faith in this company to get it right.