DVDVR Message Board

ALL OUT PPV - August 31, 2019

RIPPA

I’d use TNT to build him, keep airing those segments and different ones, then debut him a few weeks into the show. Get the potential new audience viewers accustomed to who this person is Incase they didn’t watch All Out.

YouTube has let me down as far as seeing the whole show, but just based on what I did see:

-Yes, the young bucks vs the lucha bros was an insane spotfest as expected. Several times I thought Nick and Matt were both seriously hurt as a few falls(especially Nick to the outside where he barely made it to one table when I assume he was supposed to hit both)looked UGLY. But I would be ok with the ladder match getting put on the shelf for a while across the board. After a while they all start to blend together, and while there's rarely a bad one, there's a sameness to them in setting up big spot---big spot---sell---attempt to climb---climb is stopped---setting up big spot. Give it a breather and give us time to appreciate it again.

-Shawn Spears vs Cody was better then I expected but I wouldn't call it great. There's a lot of hate for Spears round the interwebs, but AEW is going to need someone like him. Moxley/Omega/Jericho/Cody/PAC etc. all feel like they are on the same level. Someone needs to be a step below them to work with guys who need to be bumped up a notch.  Spears is the guy who is never going to be a world champion, but can give you 15-20 good minutes on your TNT show to help make someone a bigger star. I liked Arn's cameo and Tully's subsequent "What the hell, man?" reaction. And maybe next time don't try to be out a terrified dog after fireworks spook him? Just saying.

-Jericho vs Page was just ok. Chris winning was the right answer, as now you can have this arrogant prick show up on the first show taking credit for everything, putting down everyone and DEMANDING HIS THANK YOU, DAMNIT. And in the long run it gives Page more of a story. I know they want me to believe he's the next guy, but he's not there just yet. They set up that he "has to win" and now he didn't. So what happens next?

-Speaking of Jericho, can we get him to ease up on the booze a little bit? I ain't even ragging on his physique, since he's 11 years older then me and looks better, but he just looks like someone woke him up after a three day bender and told him it was time to go wrestle most of his AEW appearances. When Flair was on his podcast doing a Harley Race tribute, Jericho let it slipped that a lot of guys are calling him the new Flair. That ain't a good look, dude.

I am not sure if it was mentioned already (since I skimmed the thread at like 4 am and promptly went back to bed)

Nick Jackson said that was the last time the AAA tag titles will be defended on an AEW show as they are now focusing on their own belts.

A bit more polished as the previous shows, but still a little bit rough around the  edges. Good show.

I still have get used to some of the looks and physiques of some of the wrestlers.

Loved the hardcore three-way, but guys like Havoc and Allin need to beef up a little bit. Maybe it’s just decades of Vince brainwashing me. 

On another note, with the debut of LAX, the roster is starting to get stacked. Hope the tv-show will have some sweet early 90’s WCW-style 10-minute matches every week.

Overall I really enjoyed this show. There were a few awkward moments (pretty sure the Young Bucks pyro didn’t go off as planned) but the production is improving. I thought Page did a really good job in the main but I and it seems the crowd didn’t really bite on him as a firey babyface. I’m looking forward to heel champ Jericho but I don’t think he should hold the belt too long. I’d hate for his liver to give out and he has to forfeit the title rather than putting someone over.

There was a lot about Cody/Spears that I didn’t like but at least it was entertaining. Overbooked to say the least, and the execution left a lot to be desired. They’re forecasting that MJF turn so hard it almost seems like a red herring, even if they did miss getting him interfering on camera a few times. Cody going over is... interesting. If him beating Dustin and Spears is so he can put over MJF I’m for it but, yeah, we don’t need him Jeff Jarretting himself to the top.

The ladder match lost me when Penta encouraged Matt to go for the tandem Spears through tables spot even though it meant his own partner would get hurt, but the spectacle of the match was cool. Ready to move on. I still think the Bucks should try splitting up for a bit but I get why they wouldn’t.

Omega/PAC was my MOTN but that sloppy reverse rana was bad. That move needs to go anyway. It doesn’t always land well and has been spammed into meaning nothing so time to drop it for a bit. Omega on a bit of a losing streak! Not what I expected and that’s a good thing!

I’m ready for that weekly show, baby. September’s going to be a long month.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I'm still wondering why ODB was so goddamn over. I didn't get it when she was in TNA, and I still don't get it.

I was stunned how over Jazz was over.  that crowd lost their shit when she came out.   But she did look bad ass 

I understand why Nyla won the battle royal since the women's belt is going to be decided in her hometown.  But for all the people complaining about Jericho being champion it would be 10 times worse with Nyla as champion.  Her power moves are impressive but most else about her isn't.  

I'm not worried about Cody Jarretting himself- he's been positioning himself in the upper midcard for the most part.  I could see him getting the belt at one point once or twice, that's it.   Also Cody has to answer to the other folks- and none of them are pushing themselves to the moon either.

Still think AEW needs a bit more talent on the men's singles side of thing, but otherwise they're looking good, and I think they're going to do pretty well with what they have now.

• Like 2

Good show. I was surprised that Omega lost, but I find that to be a smart booking. It will make PAC look like a badass going into his feud with a down Hangman. It will also lead to a great Moxley mocking Omega promo. This is all assuming that PAC stays.

I am pro-Jericho right now. I’m a fan of the finish. They’ve really put over the Judas Effect well. After he hit it mid-Hangman-spin looked cool. Plus it got the crowd to stand during the final count. As for Jericho’s drinking, as long as he isn’t a danger to himself or comes to work drunk, I don’t see an issue. His deranged rockstar look is perfect for his character. If he had scarf body I don’t know if all this would work. Grizzled veteran dick is a good look on him. That blade job looked great to over the one side of his face.

I’m also pro-Hangman. Simply the horse entrance. No more needs to be said. I’m playing Red Dead II finally. Horse-Bandana combo is cool. Hangman is cool. 

Shawn Spears has such a cool entrance too. The loss was big. Is he just going to become a midcard weasel? I’m fine with that. Him and Tully start a faction? I’m fine with that. Kind of a wait and see situation. 

Arrrrrrrrrn!

Ladder match was full of zingers. I’m happy the Lucha Bros won. Young Bucks won’t lose any luster with their fan base going into this tournament and now the Lucha Bros look legit top tag team. 

I’m still on the fence to the Evil Order. TV should help them. Hopefully. 

Best Friends hug camera moment is the best. Friendship is a good thing.

Orange Cassidy is great. I liked that he ran. I’m not sure if half of his stuff will translate, but I think the essence of his character could really go over huge. 

Riho vs Nyla Rose will be a banger monster vs underdog. Glad that is the match up and you could still build the potential Dr Brit Baker vs Bea Priestley and hopefully Aja Kong vs Awesome Kong. 

Jungle Squad is a great group. Reminds me somehow of a more cartoony version of HurriKane. Marko Stunt is great in these spots. I like that Jungle Boy still comes out on Luchasauras’s shoulders. Marko Stunt running around his legs makes him look so massive. I just want to hug them all. 

Thumbtack mouth was nuts. That whole match was nuts. Cracker Barrel being cool with everything and posting on Twitter was nuts. The diving barrel spot was nuts. Everything was nuts. Everyone wins. The racket spot made me laugh. Petty, but in a good they got beef way and not as losery as the random F Cornette into the camera spot. All the characters just mesh so well to be in a high school lunch room fight. Angry Skoad Goth, Cute-Misunderstood Skater Punk, and Dirty Party-Bro Trash. Death Metal vs Crust Punk vs Dave Matthews Band. So great. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, OctopusCinema said:

The racket spot made me laugh. Petty, but in a good they got beef way and not as losery as the random F Cornette into the camera spot.

I might be the only one who initially thought it was a reference to the US Open that's going on. I get the reason for it now but still prefer my interpretation. 

• Like 2

I think this Battle Royal worked a lot better than the previous one at DoN. Seemed a lot more planned out, and having Nyla clear the ring twice did establish her as the unstoppable monster they want her to be. Although going into the title decider with a monster vs never say die underdog with the monster as home town babyface is a bit backwards.

Private Party continue to be a team with some incredible spots. But possibly they only have a few of them... if they're going to be a greatest hits act, that works great for live crowds, but it'll make them stale quickly in a TV sense. Can't just have the same match every week regardless of opposition, that's what made everyone bored of Kurt Angle. Which is a harsh thing to say after such an amazing display of athleticism, but someone had to.

SCU vs Jurassic Express was more of a match than a spectacle. Blows my mind that WWE had a guy the size of Luchasaurus who could move that well and couldn't think of anything for him. Jungle Boy did most of the work for his team, and he seems to be improving rapidly. Keeping these six booked against each other long term might not be the worst idea.

Reflecting back on the show, it was such a fun variety of styles and matches presented. The only match that missed the mark was the tag team match in the middle of the show and we got Orange Cassidy with the perfect debut out of that. I am concerned for both teams though. Best friends have had a couple of boring matches so far and are capable of much better. The Dark Order gimmick isn't working. I do wish as a whole the promotion would focus a bit more on storytelling than spots-based matches and save the crazy, dangerous stuff for later in the show so when wrestlers try to have a straight up wrestling match aren't swimming against the current of fan interest. Maybe this is something they ease into as more of the talent becomes established and don't need to do as much to elicit responses. Their best match to date was almost all story in Dustin vs. Cody. Cody going full on Stang tonight is great too btw (while also being 2000 HHH). Of course he has to get turned on, embrace it 100%. With how many good-to-great tag teams they have, they also have a decent number of trios and a 6 man title would give them something to aim for and not get lost in the shuffle. There is some real talent on the undercard that just needs to continue to get over with the audience and then that gap between main eventers and the undercard will shrink really quickly, especially if they do highlight bouts like they did with Cody/Allin and Moxley/Janela (less so the latter but it did Joey no harm). 

The main event exceeded my expectations and I would put around 3.5/3.75. They had some really great psychology with Jericho being the canny vet who showed his cunning in the end. The rolling elbow being a bail out move for Hangman was really smart and that Jericho had the perfect counter for it even smarter. While I do think it was too much too soon for Hangman, I'm glad they went with Jericho to not over expose Page and Page gave a good showing that can easily follow up on. 

The ladder match was some straight up WWF 2000 TLC madness and I love it if it's a once a year max type of thing. So fucking crazy and well executed/paced. Pentagon... I don't know what they should do with him. Lucha Bros are so fucking great they've forced the Bucks to tap into being heels in their own promotion but eventually Penta needs to be in the title picture. Will they eventually leave AAA? Would that destroy the AAA relationship? They still need to steal Taurus and Vikingo if that's the case. ? And Lady Shani while they're at it. Meltz will give it 5. I'll say 4.5 because of the lack of urgency to win at times and it could've used a bit more of a coherent story (Bucks' jealousy and frustration leading to earlier and more frequent heeling but the mask bit was so perfect and out of the blue that earlier shenanigans would have potentially taken away from that moment). 

Omega/Pac I'll go with 4.25 but they have a full 5 boy in them once they get more familiar with each other, healthier, and more time/main event slot. Two of the best and I can't wait for more. 

Three way was so fucking fun. Great car wreck of a match and each guy came out better for it. Havoc needs to go full on loathsome heel a la his Progress days. Generic death match babyface ain't doing it but he is a great heel promo.

Opener was really good and they have something super special in the Jurassic Express. Jungle Jack (Perry) I think is an eventual upgrade on Jungle Boy. He and Luchasaurus (he needs a name change asap) are going to be superstars. That turn shouldn't happen for a year or two. 

There are still some growing pains but if they can put on something as entertaining and fun as last night on a regular basis I will be even more excited. They've got a huge gap between themselves and WWE business-wise and NJPW in-ring-wise but they can grow from here into something unique and amazing. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

As for the Pharaoh noise moment, I thought it was stupid having the dog near loud noises. But I guess the wrong pyro went off, or an extra one that shouldn’t have went off. Which is better in theory that they didn’t plan to have Pharaoh get scared, but very bad on the production side that unplanned explosions are going off. Very very bad.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

As for the Pharaoh noise moment, I thought it was stupid having the dog near loud noises. But I guess the wrong pyro went off, or an extra one that shouldn’t have went off. Which is better in theory that they didn’t plan to have Pharaoh get scared, but very bad on the production side that unplanned explosions are going off. Very very bad.

I hope when Pharaoh went to the back that he chewed out the pyro guy like Taker did almost a decade ago.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I might be the only one who initially thought it was a reference to the US Open that's going on. I get the reason for it now but still prefer my interpretation. 

I like to think of Jericho as McEnroe. 

• Like 3

Welp, Spears is DOA.  Granted, his contributions to the match just confirmed that he’s nothing special at all, so...I guess it’s fine.  It’s always startling to see a guy get a big at-bat like this and just watch 3 strikes go by.  Didn’t show anything.

On the other hand, as much as Cody is disliked by some, it’s undeniable that he is a megastar to this audience. Every time he fired up on Spears, the crowd reactions were god-tier.

• Like 5