Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board
RIPPA

ALL OUT PPV - August 31, 2019

Recommended Posts

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and say there are more jobs in entertainment as "Pyro operator" than there are people who are flawless at operating pyro. Didn't the guy who got fired from WWE for setting fire to the Undertaker get hired by Metallica? Whose lead singer was previously set on fire by a pyro operator?

I expected blood in both the Cracker Barrel three way and Cody vs Spears. But they saved it for the title match. So much for the More Blood & Guts thing. Or the Harrington Dress Code, come to think of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AxB said:

I expected blood in both the Cracker Barrel three way and Cody vs Spears. But they saved it for the title match. So much for the More Blood & Guts thing. Or the Harrington Dress Code, come to think of it.

Blood Vs. Butter Dripping From a Biscuit 

No difference really.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Casey said:

The Dark Order is awesome, and I fully expect the gimmick to be fleshed out once their TV starts.

Thank you. I love the Dark Order, and have since their face SSB days. Stu Grayson is an evil warrior that will always fight and Evil Uno is a sadist with a group of followers in some twisted pseudo-sexual relationship. 

Does it get more heelish than having "creepy perverts" chanted at you? Creepy pedophile, but the minions are clearly not underage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's spooky perverts not creepy perverts

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The board full of grumpy old men? 🙂

Okay, there might be some who remember it. 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's about tying the loose ends. I understand they're still learning. But it's too rough around the edges. For example, almost none of their entrance music is good. They can work with small bands who would be happy to license a song at a reasonable price for the exposure. Have a music director scanning YouTube for songs, so can AEW (and so should WWE, for that matter). The same goes for entrance videos. Nearly every promotion can do better with this, it can't be that difficult or expensive.

Why are they using the same stage setup for their shows? If it bothers you when WWE does it, seeing AEW's outdated design should drive you up a wall. Why aren't we getting pre-recorded promos shown during PPVs to help introduce talent? Are more vignettes coming? The Wardlow intro was bad, but at least it's something.

What are they doing to maintain quality control? Bad camera shots, not timing out certain shows correctly--that should be the rare exception and not repeated bad habits. Having pyro unintentionally go off is flat-out dangerous, imagine if that happens close to some fans and someone gets hurt.

How are they going to handle problems between wrestlers? Because Bea Priestley and Sadie Gibbs are going to wind up fighting for real at some point.

AEW may be new, but with as much money is being put into it, most fans are going to expect a more polished show. They have the needed people on board to help make that happen. They just have to bunker down and do it.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

For me, it's about tying the loose ends. I understand they're still learning. But it's too rough around the edges. For example, almost none of their entrance music is good. They can work with small bands who would be happy to license a song at a reasonable price for the exposure. Have a music director scanning YouTube for songs, so can AEW (and so should WWE, for that matter). The same goes for entrance videos. Nearly every promotion can do better with this, it can't be that difficult or expensive.

Why are they using the same stage setup for their shows? If it bothers you when WWE does it, seeing AEW's outdated design should drive you up a wall. Why aren't we getting pre-recorded promos shown during PPVs to help introduce talent? Are more vignettes coming? The Wardlow intro was bad, but at least it's something.

What are they doing to maintain quality control? Bad camera shots, not timing out certain shows correctly--that should be the rare exception and not repeated bad habits. Having pyro unintentionally go off is flat-out dangerous, imagine if that happens close to some fans and someone gets hurt.

How are they going to handle problems between wrestlers? Because Bea Priestley and Sadie Gibbs are going to wind up fighting for real at some point.

AEW may be new, but with as much money is being put into it, most fans are going to expect a more polished show. They have the needed people on board to help make that happen. They just have to bunker down and do it.

 

AppropriateSpryAustraliankelpie-max-1mb.

He has to be on the payroll for something other than to hang out with Cody.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I think that's more or less what they're saying and they're not taking enough responsibility. The one thing I'm worried about more than temporary or minor things, like the women's division or the dark order, that are getting the lion's share of talk right now is how arrogant and hardheaded TK comes off in interviews. For a guy whose sports teams aren't exactly basking in success, any time somebody seems to question his ideas he seems to push back, like he's never had a dumb idea. Does this reflect in their booking so far? Not really, as they've listened to criticism on Marvez and the librarian stuff but there are massive egos in play at the top and thinking their shit don't stink is a concern. I watched some of Kahn's post-show interview (I like that he does these) and somebody was asking him if he'd be at weekly TV and the look he gave them could kill a motherfucker, like "of course and how dare you?" Meltzer talked about a similar reaction when he brought up the possibility of failure. This strongheadedness could be a good thing in parts but they need to recognize when they've fucked up, take responsibility and change. 

Their answers aren’t perfect and they seem to be leaning more towards the defensive as they find the right tone (how much do they break kayfabe? Do they go with honesty for the sake of authenticity even if it creates more headaches for them?)

But let’s not forget this whole post show media scrum thing is brand new to mainstream western wrestling. When would WWE dream of exposing themselves to this kind of criticism straight after a show to unvetted press?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Custos said:

Their answers aren’t perfect and they seem to be leaning more towards the defensive as they find the right tone (how much do they break kayfabe? Do they go with honesty for the sake of authenticity even if it creates more headaches for them?)

But let’s not forget this whole post show media scrum thing is brand new to mainstream western wrestling. When would WWE dream of exposing themselves to this kind of criticism straight after a show to unvetted press?

You don't even need the unvetted part. If something absolutely disastrous happens, at some point, someone on a whim is going to ask about the elephant in the room even if it's the most innocuous question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's just because I know how TV works but I think someone asking a producer if they'll be working on the show each week is so fucking stupid that they should have got the MJF press conference treatment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The same goes for entrance videos.

At the very least, if they're going to insist on having entrance videos be that bad then they shouldn't make it full-screen on TV for thirty seconds at a time. It looks like amateur hour, which is presumably the opposite of what they're going for. 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

Maybe it's just because I know how TV works but I think someone asking a producer if they'll be working on the show each week is so fucking stupid that they should have got the MJF press conference treatment.

He's also in charge of Fulham and plays a significant part in the Jaguars operations. It's a valid question. Rich motherfucker burning the planet with weekly flights across oceans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure fans at Craven Cottage are hoping he spends plenty of time on the rasslin and less on Fulham. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preshow wasn't as awful as the last two but still pretty bad. They just can't seem to book a good battle royal. What should've been a stacked line up came off as nobody coming off like stars at all except Nyla. Some who should've like Tenille who looked like a huge star in her Impact debut and Ivelisse, felt like after thoughts. Then they got two or three pretty big eliminations happening during Mercedes entrance which was awful. I thought Nyla looked really quite good in ring in the 3 way at Fyter Fest, my favorite match on that show, but wouldn't have been my pick to win here. Didn't care for the tag match. Private Party remind me of the street profits and I can't stand them. It was brought up in another thread, then again here, about the poison rana being killed and yeah dead. A shame because when done rarely, it was one of my fav moves. So again not going in to the main show on a high note.

SCU tag was really good, great opener so that was nice. Omega/Pac I was shocked was going on that early. Great match but the finish was a bit deflating. It was a match where neither guy should really lose but a clean submission loss felt a bit out of the blue. I feel like Kenny here hasn't had the same aura he had in NJPW where all his matches felt special. And the impact of Omega feuding with Moxley is kind of lessened now. That said it does raise Pac's stock here even if at Omega's expense. Don't care for anyone in the cracker barrel match with a weak finish or the dark order.

Riho/Shida was the match I was looking forward to the most, and it was good, but I hated the match layout. Hikaru being so super dominating early made it extremely obvious she was losing in a fluke rollup kinda way. I like Riho a lot but felt Shida should've gone over here considering it's for the title match. Riho/Nyla feels like been there done that while Shida felt fresh, new, something different. With all the women in that battle royal and we end up with two that just recently worked each other as the first title match. Also, I hope Taya stays killing it in Impact rather than get lost in the shuffle here.

I think my biggest takeaway from the show, again, is Cody is THE man. He's been the showstealer every time and he nailed it again. Everything from the epic entrance to bringing the hate/getting over the story to the super fired up babyface routine and the crowd pops.... absolute mega star. Captain Cody is the best. This was actually the match I was most into and I hate tye dillinger. I still can't take that goof looking like the 3rd member of the ascension seriously but Cody just brings it and made this match entirely enjoyable. the Brutus/Hogan comparison earlier here was pretty spot on. the Arn spot was great, Tully's reaction. Glad they didn't tack on the MJF turn. I'd rather it just not, keep it a Luger/Sting esque deal.

Tag ladder was good. Went in expecting another typical Bucks/Lucha match but they managed to make it stand out with all the crazy spots. Taking off Pentagons mask felt like a holy shit moment, great touch. LAX debut is cool but don't think they needed the masks on. I would've thought the Street Sweeper would've got the pop to give it away anyways. Main event was good even if never really felt like Hangman was on Jericho's level. The finish was brilliant, great of Jericho to turn a spinning back elbow into an instant killshot that pops a crowd. Jericho still rules always. Overall didn't feel like a really truly special show but pretty good.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rewatched most of the show today. They really should have put the omega match right before the Cody match because codys entrance would have nullified the negative crowd reaction. But I forgot the Cracker Barrel match was right after and that’s a good segue and the crowd was into it appropriately. I just think the dark order match wouldn’t have got over regardless, and the crowd was definitely polite with the Riho/Shida match. I really like that match, Shida was doing a bunch of different dead lift suplexes to show off her size and power advantage while Riho still looked good in the second half.

I do agree with others though that the women’s division is disappointing, the men’s singles division and tag division look pretty good, the women’s division seemed great in the lead up to  double or nothing but right now it’s not there at all  

Im also over the hyperbole from Brandi and khan and others. I get it’s their baby so they are enthusiastic and they are promoters so it’s their job to sell. Maybe I’m cynical but I’m over the hyperbole and feel like it’s a waste of time to listen to them.

Still I thought it was a really good show, not quite on the level of double or nothing but still quite good. I also didn’t feel the excitement level for this that I did for double or nothing, but still I watched it twice and liked it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit late to writing thoughts on the show, trying to digest all of the great wrestling from over the weekend and give it some time to settle.

It was a fun show with some great peaks that ran too long and had stuff that could have been contracted or removed entirely for the betterment of the overall show and to sell interest in TV.

Like DoN, as @Elsalvajeloco said, it still feels like three visions bolted together in Frankenstein fashion, although the freaks and geeks circus aspect was less prominent.

They so desperately need a Tessa Blanchard to build around. It’s all very well saying that Women’s Wrestling is important and should be equally featured but you can’t just put bodies into the slots and expect it to seem like a big deal. Let Nyla come under Kia Stevens’ tutelage for 6 months then start the monster push after that. The women’s division is a drop off the cliff in terms of talent and star power after the mens and tag divisions. Also, that battle royale is a flawed gimmick which was then poorly executed. Why have key eliminations during the entrances? Isn’t that common sense? I would be annoyed if I was Jazz walking out with the rest of the crowd like that.

If there is one star to treat as a star, more than any other single wrestler, who stands out most clearly as an alternative, and could be the big reason to tell your friends to watch this rather than that, it’s Kenny. Why do this losing story in the first chapter of the AEW book when you are establishing what you are. I’m happy that they are planning long term story arcs (if that’s what this is) but don’t agree with the decision.

However, Jericho was gold in the post match tirade and is probably the best equipped for TV non-wrestling segments as champion lording it over everyone else, so that should be fun.

Luchasaurus is over as hell with the live crowd and is apparently killing it in T shirt sales. That was one of the most satisfying matches in terms of the flow and crowd reaction, I really enjoyed it. 

‘Wrestling has more than one royal family’ really sums up this vision of using respected veterans where they can add value versus ignoring/underplaying their legacy or outright humiliating them in inappropriate throwaway TV skits, subservient to the all powerful McMahons. I don’t think it’s as simplistic as a ‘nostalgia pop’.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Butter Dripping From a Biscuit

And I say unto thee ...

PPV notes:

1. I loved the Jungle Buddies or whatever they were called. Jungle Jack's fun, the Luchasaurus was so much fun. Read on his Wiki that the WWE released him after a bad hip injury. If that's so, I hope he becomes AEW champion just to stick it up WWE's ass.

2. Bucks-Lucha Brothers delivered big time. Everything else, not so much. Starting to wonder if Omega is a Best Bout Machine or if everyone in New Japan Was Carrying Him. Bit of both. Jericho's the smart choice for champion, and it was easy to think Page didn't have a chance. I still don't get Cody, but I'll take your words on it. He's good on the mic and in ring, but his redemption story with the WWE is over and I can't be arsed to much give a crap. I wonder if it was written out, given it was pre-taped, but Brandi's promo on the TNT show blew away everyone else's by a mile.

3. If Uno were dressed as one of the Assassins, ya'll would be popping huge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because the Assassins didn't look cheap as hell.

Luchasaurus also was the guy who went public and got Bill DeMott fired.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luchasaurus was also pretty bad everywhere he worked before getting to AEW. Good for him that he has improved so much in a short time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ace said:

Luchasaurus also was the guy who went public and got Bill DeMott fired.

 

He should be celebrated for that alone.

Fuck Hugh Morrus

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Jungle Boy fits that Rey Mysterio niche perfectly of the undersized guy who can be the wish fulfilment avatar for all the kids being pushed around by big kids and grownups.

I guess Marko Stunt is an extreme version of that too and so they fit together from that aspect. Although I personally feel like he crosses the Spike Dudley Line from ‘small guy who can get a couple of licks in’ to ‘12 year old nephew of spot show promoter’ but YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris DeJoseph looks to be angling for another wwe job with his tweets about AEW. Baby back bitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I’m sure fans at Craven Cottage are hoping he spends plenty of time on the rasslin and less on Fulham. 

How soon do you expect All Elite Wrestling to be Fulham's shirt sponsor? It can't be any more embarrassing that an Asian online betting site, or can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Custos said:

Also, Jungle Boy fits that Rey Mysterio niche perfectly of the undersized guy who can be the wish fulfilment avatar for all the kids being pushed around by big kids and grownups.

I guess Marko Stunt is an extreme version of that too and so they fit together from that aspect. Although I personally feel like he crosses the Spike Dudley Line from ‘small guy who can get a couple of licks in’ to ‘12 year old nephew of spot show promoter’ but YMMV.

Damn, I meant to get in "Marko Stunt is my favorite mini since Mascarita Dorada" in my first post, but can't win 'em some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jstout said:

Damn, I meant to get in "Marko Stunt is my favorite mini since Mascarita Dorada" in my first post, but can't win 'em some.

Well, I’m not the biggest fan but I do feel more positive about him being part of the Boy and his Dinosaur act than I felt before the PPV.  He was one like Orange Cassidy where I suspected it would get old very quickly but now I think both used sparingly and with some evolution could be bearable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...