DVDVR Message Board

ALL OUT PPV - August 31, 2019

RIPPA

If wins and losses matter, Cody should be number one contender to Jericho's title for sure. He's 3-0 in singles matches. Hardly anyone else has a winning record, other than Jericho (2-0) and Hangman (2-1, assuming Battle Royals don't count).

That spot in the Escalera de la Muerte where Penta encouraged Matt to put Fenix through a table? Great way to have them not team up for a while. With the AAA titles no longer being featured, having both Fenix and Penta move into the singles division (because Fenix thinks Penta is selfish) makes sense.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

If wins and losses matter, Cody should be number one contender to Jericho's title for sure. He's 3-0 in singles matches. Hardly anyone else has a winning record, other than Jericho (2-0) and Hangman (2-1, assuming Battle Royals don't count).

He’s(Cody) also got nobody lined up that I think of after All Out. It would be the ideal first headlining match Post TNT to go with the Baltimore show.

2 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

Do not sit there and tell me you are a new and different alternative to the WWE when your first-ever champion is a part-timer who is almost 50 fucking years old.

Jericho's literally been on every show. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well I mean if you use the search function on a cable box it pulls up OnDemand stuff and actual programs you can record from live TV when they air.

I don’t get the channel Impact is/was on, same with MLW. When I went from Dish to Xfinity when I moved, I lost El Rey. I’ve never seen Smash on any provider I’ve ever had. Might have the AAA/CMLL shows, but I’ve legit tried searching “wrestling” and I get stuff like “Wrestling with God” or show times for WWE PPVs or Raw/Smackdown. Granted I live in rural Tennessee, so... coverage might be a little more limited here for wrestling content on TV providers around here I guess?

I'm sure that I get more Spanish channels in New Jersey. All of the wrestling TV was listed as Lucha Libre in the newspapers when I was a kid in the 70's, including WWWF and Florida in English on Spanish UHF. Me and my friends call everything Lucha to this day.

36 minutes ago, AxB said:

That spot in the Escalera de la Muerte where Penta encouraged Matt to put Fenix through a table? Great way to have them not team up for a while. With the AAA titles no longer being featured, having both Fenix and Penta move into the singles division (because Fenix thinks Penta is selfish) makes sense.

Fenix and Nick did the exact same spot with their splashes off ladders later in the match.  I think everybody's even now.

• Like 1

The Dark Order still needs work. Or an explanation on why they are a gimp and a bargain basement Spartan? Every other tag team has a hook that people can easily get into. They don't and they're the least over, despite the fact that they're talented.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

@Casey

First step in finding lucha libre - search lucha libre not wrestling.  Fuck.

Nah, you can keep the lucha. I have no interest in watching that. And I’m pretty sure we don’t have those channels, but okay yeah chalk it up to me not searching the right term ?

55 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

@Casey

First step in finding lucha libre - search lucha libre not wrestling.  Fuck.

Searching for "Lucha" brings up 200 shows with lucha in the description. Well worth scrolling through to find one more program. Huge pop from me when that happens.

Here's one major difference that I'm seeing between the promotions.  AEW appears to be in the business of booking blood feuds that play out in the ring in ways that you don't see in WWE these days.  I don't just mean that they use blood,   I mean the way the matches are laid out in a traditional territory like manner and how they're using old school angles and interviews.  

Most of this has been contained to Cody's feuds but I cannot remember the last time WWE even tried to book a story line like Cody vs. Dustin or then Cody vs. Spears.  They do it down in NXT but even that has turned into a "forced epic" style of wrestling than being organic. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think this is premature.  These were all basically either one shot PPVs or glorified house shows.  The real AEW doesn't start until October.  That will show what this company is moving forward. 

I honestly have no idea whether you’re being sincere or mocking the people blindly making excuses for AEW. 

Show felt long towards the end. Omega-PAC felt like last month... even though it was my favorite of the night. 

No idea who is running the booth In production but they need to talk to the workers and figure out some of the spots. Lots of missed or barely missed moments in the whole show. 

The Dark Order does nothing for me or the crowd for that matter. More Best Friends, less dark order and their shitty gear  

it’s been mentioned but some of these dudes need to use that new AEW money for a good diet and a gym membership. Their matches are great but some dudes just don’t look impressive or big league.

ill be at the Charlotte show. Very interested to see what’s next. 

Just now, JonnyLaw said:

I honestly have no idea whether you’re being sincere or mocking the people blindly making excuses for AEW. 

No,  I'm being sincere.  I don't think we can fully analyze AEW and their roster/booking habits, etc.  until 2-hours of TV/weekly begins.  Everything has to change in October. Their whole way of thinking has to change and I can't predict the outcome. 

I said this a few threads back who knows where the discussion was had but AEW as a national promotion is going to have to be the "bad guy" on occasion in the way they evaluate the talent.  They don't have to be miserable or petty but they have to make tough decisions.  If a guy like Shawn Spears needs to be a JTTS then that's what they need him to be.  

• Like 2

Outside of not enjoying The Dark Orders gimmick, my biggest gripe with AEW is the production and the spamming of certain moves on shows. 

Not everyone needs to do a moonsault to the outside and everyone doesn’t need an Ace Crusher counter. Seeing everyone do the same moves takes me out of the match. (Double or Nothing had a million Death Valley Drivers). 

AEW has to do better with their battle royales. Not only was this sloppy, but the big names--Mercedes Martinez, Jazz, Tenille Dashwood--didn't get to do anything. Nyla Rose was finally booked as a monster, so that was good, as was furthering the Bea vs Britt rivalry.

Private Party is still rough around the edges, but their ceiling is sky high. Nice to see them win. Angelico/Jack Evans' heel turn is fine.

Jurassic Express are breakout superstars in the making.  SCU are the perfect guys to open every show. They get in, do their bit, wrestle well, and get out in 11-12 minutes. 

Surprised to see PAC-Omega go so early, even more surprised that PAC won. It presents a good story for Omega needing to discover himself again. That frankensteiner sequence was a mess, but good match overall.

The Cracker Barrel 3-way was a train wreck. Ugly, but entertaining. Thought it was goofy at the beginning, but came around on it. Would have been nice to see Allin win, feels like they're wasting the time-limit draw he had with Cody. I need Darby to think of his vertebrae, he's going to be in traction doing the Coffin Drop.

Dark Order is awful and third rate. At least get better outfits, give us a back story where they sold their souls, anything! Don't know much about Orange Cassidy, but I'm willing to see where he goes.

Riho-Shida was very good, too bad the crowd didn't care.

They spent all that time building Shawn Spears, and that's what we get from it? Not that I had high hopes for him, but still. The match was fine, but felt anti-climatic with how Spears was reduced to nothing. And that poor doggy, I felt bad for him.

The ladder match did nothing for me. I was pretty much out after the first double table spot. I kept asking why wouldn't one prevent the other from crushing their respective brother? I also didn't need to see the Bucks die multiple times. LAX's intro was great, enjoyed watching them in Impact.

Main Event told a good story of Page being unproven, but able to bloody the veteran Jericho and give himself more of a chance. Page didn't lose because he wasn't good enough per se, but from a lack of experience in how to stay firm when dealing with someone with Jericho's pedigree. Jericho as champ is the right business call, but does nothing to separate AEW from any other promotion that relies on older guys.

For me, All Out felt like a meal that forgot the seasoning. Edible, but lacking the spice to make it really good. AEW's tag division is the strongest thing they have going into TV. The midcard scene feels like it'll be OK. I guess Cody gets the first shot at Jericho? I still barely know anything about the women. They need to do better with vignettes or pre-taped promos. That bit with Wardlow? Don't know who he is, but that was rough. Why did the other guys stand there as he took off his shirt? Why didn't someone grab his GF to distract him? I get why, but it looked dumb.

I don't hate anything, but I also don't love anything. Except for Jurassic Express, that's a great gimmick. It's fine beyond them, but I keep looking for more.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Here's one major difference that I'm seeing between the promotions.  AEW appears to be in the business of booking blood feuds that play out in the ring in ways that you don't see in WWE these days.  I don't just mean that they use blood,   I mean the way the matches are laid out in a traditional territory like manner and how they're using old school angles and interviews.  

Most of this has been contained to Cody's feuds but I cannot remember the last time WWE even tried to book a story line like Cody vs. Dustin or then Cody vs. Spears.  They do it down in NXT but even that has turned into a "forced epic" style of wrestling than being organic. 

For a guy who's taken shots at Triple H recently, Cody surely has ripped off some of Triple H's stuff in his matches such as relying on old vets for nostalgia pops, lame ref bumps and a bunch of outside shenanigans surrounding his matches.

Edited by Edwin

2 minutes ago, Edwin said:

For a guy who's taken shots at Triple H recently, Cody surely has ripped off some of Triple H's stuff in his matches such as relying on old vets for nostalgia pops, lame ref bumps and a bunch of outside shenanigans surrounding his matches.

He could be ripping off Hulk Hogan from the mid-90s. Or Ric Flair. Or Kevin Nash.

• Like 1

Cody does big entrances and he wrestles a methodical style but I don't believe his match vs. Dustin or his match vs. Darby Allin veered into "nostalgia pops" or outside interference.  Spears didn't attack Cody until after it was a time limit draw.  The match with Spears was smoke and mirrors because Spears just ain't that great... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

I don't hate anything, but I also don't love anything. Except for Jurassic Express, that's a great gimmick. It's fine beyond them, but I keep looking for more.

I was listening to the WOR show last night with Meltzer and Jim Valley and after watching All Out (didn't get see the pre show), I found myself agreeing with most of Jim Valley's points. Meltzer kept trying to hammer home that the TV is going to be different, but they have clear, major tonal issues that they have to fix a month before they hit TNT IMO. It felt like I'm watching three different shows: one that's super indyriffic, one that's big time modern pro wrestling, and one that's a weird amalgamation of everything from the past 20 to 25 years (which makes sense given the respective ages of most of the people in charge). I enjoyed the show, but it was more thumbs leaning slightly up. In hindsight knowing me, if the first week college FB games for the most part weren't shit/ blowouts or the Lomachenko fight and the UFC card in China weren't earlier in the day, there wasn't much on this show that I would regret missing to watch stuff I usually watch on a Saturday. If they're going to draw folks like me on a regular basis, they need way more firepower but in a more organized way. To me, the Cody-Spears thing (not the match itself but the overall presentation beginning to end) came off more major than the actual main event. Why? You had a semi-retired pro wrestler who is limited now physically (even though I know he wanted to work with Page bad) come after a car crash at Talladega Superspeedway meets a fiery passenger jet crash meets Super Dave Osborne meets the goddamn Flying Wallendas. In another era, Jericho-Page wouldn't be disappointing to me after something like that. The problem is the Bucks don't go home after ten or eleven minutes (like @Burgundy LaRue mentioned with SCU). They're going to drag that motherfucker as long as possible. So once you get the showstopper, that's it! Nothing can come after it even if four people go out and do the exact same thing move-for-move like a WWF house show loop from the early 90s. Sidenote: Part of the reason that I didn't fully enjoy the ladder match is Penta kept playing to the crowd and shouting. If you're in this brutal struggle of a ladder match to get back these precious titles from your home promotion, why are you playing to the crowd so much? That kept taking me out of the match. Anyway, the Judas Effect finish looked great but the match as a whole didn't do much for me. I agree with giving Jericho the title first, but that can't be your main event style going forward especially if the Young Bucks and whoever they're doing a program with suck the air out of the room. They should have fully thought that one through along with a bunch of other stuff on this show (the Dark Order being one of those things obviously because even Jim Herd would be like, "Really?").

• Like 2